Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain my new findings...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my new findings...

i had always been a honda fan... and then the mini came around. as a honda owner i used to love the dump valves... it was a easy way to gain a mess of HP for a race.

sooo i got under my car yesterday morning and i removed the second o2 sensor.... so it can kind of work as a dump vlave.

it took a few seconds to see the first difference... jeje the car a lot louder!

and a few hours later as i was drving the car began to get faster and faster... i guess the ECU was getting used to it.

this morning when i turned on my car LOUD as yesterday but man when i pulled out my house... that thing is on crack! its so fast, its insane!
i dont think in going to dyno because well i dont wanna spend the money on it. plus i got to put it back the SES light is on.
but i feel a gain greater than when i put the 19% pulley.

anyone ever tried this?

Old 07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know a ton about the underside of the MCS yet, from your Honda days (where I spent 14 years), Im assuming youre talking about running a test pipe of sorts? From full exhause to a "dump" exhaust by opening up a section of the exhaust? If thats what youre talking about...how big is the hold the 2nd O2 sensor creates? Pics?

Edit: Found a diagram:

Is the 2nd o2 sensor on #17?

-Jake

Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
I took this picture from the how-to header by randy and i made some points in it.

my header is not this one but it looks alike.

i removed the 2nd o2 sensor on my after market header. the openning is about 1/2 inch maybe im not sure.

but the low to mid range it feels like i have 20 more lb/tq...

i would like someone to run some test... witha dyno... with the added torque its a very good set up for a weekend auto crossing if one can handle the extra noise

Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
camelpilot
Banned
wont you kill the cat if you do that?

Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Hard to base gains like this on anecdotal data, but I don't think there is much to be had by opening the 1/2 inch bung. It might be due to the lack of the O2 sensor causing a reading that is affecting the ECM.
A 1/2 inch opening is not that much by itself, so I think the gain if any is elsewhere. You are also affecting the exhasut flow scavaging with unknown effects... possibly making it worse in the various rpms...

Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
I'm not sure if I'd want an open exhaust under the car, not a big fan of carbonmonoxide.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
You've got to be kidding me... the gains are all in your head. Open header maybe a slight gain... but all you did was remove an oxygen sensor?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
mikem53, i totaly agree with youit might mess up other things... i just did it to see what would happen i will put my o2 sensor back on tomorrow... how ever i will talk to a local shop maybe then can make me a short 2.25 tube pointing down. i will test that later on this month.

i do think there is a great power gain from doing something like that.

on my last integra the ls/vtech i did a test with exhaust and with just header and the power gain was or 16hp and 9.5 lb/tq to the ground... i mean my motor wasnt stock at all. but for one race that kind of gain can make a difference.... llike a weekend autocross

Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
You've got to be kidding me... the gains are all in your head. Open header maybe a slight gain... but all you did was remove an oxygen sensor?
might be all in my head but if you get next to a someone who you usualy pull about a car on and then you pull almost 3... you tell me.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:08 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Originally Posted by warchieft2k
might be all in my head but if you get next to a someone who you usualy pull about a car on and then you pull almost 3... you tell me.
Maybe they don't want to race against such a loud car because the loud car draws too much attention:smile:

Originally Posted by warchieft2k
plus i got to put it back the SES light is on.
Without the sensor the ECU cannot ever go into closed-loop mode and falls back to a default map. Even if this map were more responsive than closed loop, the gains would all be at part throttle because WOT is always open loop.