Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain EBC Green Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 09:15 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Moss MINI now has the EBC Green Stuff brake pads listed.

Moss wants $100 for the Front and another $100 for the rear. Does anyone have any feedback on these? And whether $200 is a fair price?

Old 01-05-2003, 10:12 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are the clips? Or are these just sample photos of another model?

I've heard good things about EBC green in bike applications, but better reports on the ferodos (for track day/racing applications, but still good for street.)

Jeff

Old 01-05-2003, 10:15 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I pulled that picture straight off the Moss website.

Old 01-05-2003, 12:02 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
You mean I might not have to clean my White Rims everyday?

Old 01-05-2003, 12:03 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
MINI Mania has them for $79

Click here

Old 01-05-2003, 12:29 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave,

EBC is OK. That is a little steep for them though. That was one of the attractions of EBC compared to Hawk or Pagid, they were always a little less.

I am still working with Hawk to provide MINI pads. These, after trying EVERYTHING on the Porsche, have become my favorite. They are a bit expensive - $150 or so per axle for the Porsche - but they make a dramatic difference in fade, feel, and bite.

I don't think MINI-Mania has rears though, do they? Last time I checked, the rears for the MINI weren't ready. I would also be interested to hear if they have the clips that the factory pads have. We've heard of some serious issues surrounding aftermarket pads that were rushed to market.

As a side note, I'm working with a rotor manufacturer in Australia that produces racing rotors that aren't drilled (that's good) and have aerodynamically tuned cooling vanes. They provide rotors to almost all of the Australian Touring Cars teams. More to come...

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com

Old 01-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Casey
5th Gear
Sweet randy - just watching some aus touring cars on speed right now.

Old 01-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Bret
Neutral
I know that Helix MINIsports have the EBC greenstuff pads for $79 front and $69 for the rears. $100 a set seems pretty high to me. Helix also have a very nice set of gas sloted front rotors that I ordered this week. I spoke to JIm @ EBC and they are making the pads with the factory clip on the back plate. Randy, which Hawk Pads (HPS, Blue or Black) are you using to compare with the EBC Green stuff? I think it would only be fair to compair the HPS's as the other two are a race compound pads. The big selling point of the EBC pad is not so much the performance of the pad ,as they have other compounds for that, it is the low amount of brake dust the pad puts out.

B

Old 01-05-2003, 03:03 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Bret,

Welcome to MCO!!!

I totally agree, and was actually comparing the Hawk to the EBC Red (the race compound). I have tried Performance Friction, Ferodo, EBC, Pagid, Hawk (Blue and Black), OEM, Mintex, PBR, ATE, Textar, and probably some others I haven't thought of.

I'm working with Hawk to provide the Blue for the MINI. My products are more performance oriented, and we intend to run a full schedule of autocrossing and track days this year, so that is my primary concern for a pad compound. That said, I do have access to the green pads, and would be glad to supply them to customers solely interested in not having the "chalk" stock compound so they don't have to clean the wheels everyday .

I will match anyone's price, so if you're interested in the EBC stuff, let me know.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com

Old 01-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Bret
Neutral
Thank you Randy for the welcome to MCO. I have enjoyed reading it for the last few weeks. Based on my past experence I would think that the Hawk blues are not a great all around pad for both of the uses that you had mentioned. They are slow to bite until they are up to temp and Auto x ing was not there intended use. These pads are very slick until warm, (like the Porterfield R4) The track is a better home for this pad.Is your plan to run the blues in the front and the rear? I, too, have tried every brand of pad under the sun. I have used these pads for years in SCCA racing and I like the brand alot. I think that if you like the Hawks than maybe the Blacks and HPS's are a better idea for Low brake temp events. What do you think? In the past I have had good results usings different pads on the front and rear, mainly on cars that lack a manual brake bais. When did Hawk think that they would have pads on the market? On a side note, Easy on the "selling" here , we are just sharing infomation and ideas. I have seen many a forum go down this path.

B

Old 01-05-2003, 04:29 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
B,

I am new to the whole auto-x scene, as my experience has been on the track. That is an excellent point. The Blacks would probably be better for the autocross. I have used the Blues on the front with Blacks on the back with pretty good results before. I ended up with Blues all the way around though. Hawk should come to market this month, but I'm still waiting.

The sell was just to let people know that I'm not giving the info on the Hawks to push them - I carry all the good stuff, so I'm not biased. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Where are you and what class do you run in? I was in the South Florida area running EP, ITA, GT-2, GT-3 and Vintage until I moved up here (where I kept instructing at the PCA level). I miss the racing, and if the budget comes back, I'd like to get a classic to run in Vintage.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions (marketing or product wise)

Randy

Old 01-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Can anybody give functional feedback on their experiences with the EBC Greenstuff pads? differences in brake dust, pedal feel, and possibly measured stopping distances would be excellent!

Old 01-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Bret
Neutral
I currently have a set of greenstuff pads on my wifes car (328i). The main reason I put them on was the low dust ,the pad will carbonise @ a higher brake pad temp than stock pads. They have a little better feel and bite than the metal masters that I took off the car but as far as true stopping #s I do not have them. I ordered a set of them today for my MCS, we will see in a week. I am sure if you look around the internet you can find some independent site that will list the friction factor or brake torque of differet pads. If you do, let us know where it is at.

B

Old 01-06-2003, 07:41 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
I swapped out the factory pads on my SAAB with EBC Greenstuff and found better feel, no squeek, and very little dust. All around the pads were better for about $75 for the front set. They did not make pads for the rear. I bought them on-line from The Tire Rack. I would think they will have them if they are available for MINI's now.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got greatly reduced dust from a set of Green Stuff front pads with EBC slotted rotors, but fried the pads and blued the rotors three weeks later just coming down two miles of twisties.

I'll be switching to Red Stuff.

Last edited by OldRick; 08-18-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I've had EBC Green Stuff pads all the way around on my MC for 3 yrs. now. It's been tracked 4x and has been to the Dragon 3x. I'm really happy with the pads and they are not showing any significant wear at all. I've put about 31k on them, on city roads and interstates, as well as thru twisties. Dusting is hardly any issue anymore, too.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:49 PM
nascar mini
4th Gear
I second what the Welshman says, year and a half,2 dragons,1 track day,work great and best of all,little dust.$79-85 per axle about right.
Good luck.
Bill

Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I had the wrong rotors...

...but my experience with Green Stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors yielded chewed up rotors, VERY rough feel after about 10,000. I replaced with Brembo rotors and Hawk pads. Still no horrible dust (like the Green Stuffs) BUT the rotors are still as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I'm staying with Hawks and Brembo's at least for now.

I have to say, though, I am tempted by Texas Speed Werks' set up that includes the "arc slot" rotors and pads from Porterfield, which they were selling at the last AMVIV. Looked pretty cool!!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:30 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
I got my ebc's from helix.

http://www.helix13.com/mini/products/brakes

after they helped me with my giac flash, I knew I had a new company to deal with.

they stop great, but at the same time I switched to super blue fluid so the petal feel is better, but dont know if it was the pads or the fluid.

who really does distance testing, so I dont know that, but they feel like they stop faster and dont fade as bad as stock. (which is terrible)

plus I just painted my calipers black, and the ebc look cool with my black and green color scheme.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
EBC Green + plain Frozen rotors in front work great for me. OEM in the rear.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:54 AM
kesh420
4th Gear
GTT Tuning here in the UK gave me EBC Yellows on the front, Kevlar compound on the rear all new slotted rotors front and rear with OEM calipers. Both track and road, you will kiss the windshield if you push it. No Brake fade and no boiled fluids either.