Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Foam Filters Explained!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foam Filters Explained by ALTA

NAM communitiy,

Recently, we have customers call us and ask weather or not we would sell our intake without the FOAM filter. We of course ask "why?" The response is "I really want the better K&N type, not the foam." There seems to be a misconception regarding all air filters. Lets explain the pluses and minus of all of them. And then we will answer some of the posts I have read over the last couple of weeks. We will be comparing flat panel filter to keep the surface area the same amongst them.

STOCK paper filters
These types of filters consist of a pleated low density ( low so the air can pass through it) paper like material, with a rubber surround. They are fast and cheap to make, which is why all OEM filters are constructed this way. The benefit of the filter is that is cleans really really well, by blocking the dirt going through the paper. The problem is flow with these filters. Since the paper has to be dense enough to block the small particles, the flow really suffers.

PAPER: OK flow, Excellent cleaning, Poor flow when dirty.

Cotton Gauze filters (K&N type)
These filters have a great name and a huge marketing scheme behind them and that is part of the reason why so many people think they are the best. These filters are constructed similarly to the stock paper type, they are pleated to get more flow area and cleaning area. The main difference is that the pleated material they use consists of a much more open element. This is how the K&N type get more flow from their filters. When they are new, the Cotton/Gauze is very plain to see because they are white in color under the steel mesh that holds it in place. Once there is OIL on the filter, out comes that red-ish pink-ish color(oil can be other colors). Since the element they are using is much more open than the OEM type, they use this oil to collect the dirt. This works great at giving you higher flow for more HP (open element) and the cleaning (oil) needed to keep the engine in working order. But the down fall is as it gets dirty, it starts to block the passages ways through the filter causing a loss in HP. This is when you have to clean the filter to get back the HP. Being there are many of these filters copied over seas, I have seen many that are the red, or blue colors that are a direct rip-off off the K&N type. There is one thing that I would be worried about with some of thess....OIL. Many of them have no oil at all! The cotton material is colored to the red-ish/pink-ish color

K&N type Excellent flow, Excellent cleaning, ok flow after dirty.

FOAM filters (Alta type)
Foam filters are constructed of a simple layer of open cell foam. The foam can be varied in a couple of ways, by adding layers and by changing the density of the foam. Similar to the K&N type, one of the side is held in place with a steel mesh. The density and layers of the foam can be varied in order to change how much restriction the filter has. This is something that other filters can't do very easily. The foam is oiled similar to the K&N type to catch the dirt. When dirt enters the filter, it can't just go straight through it. Since the foam cells are random in their placement, the only way dirt can go through the filter is by making turns. When the dirt makes a turn it runs into the oiled foam and stays put. Basically the foam filters CATCH dirt, not block it like the other types. The beauty to this type of filter is that when it gets dirty the dirt doesn't block the air passage, causing a restriction. This is because of the multiple air paths that still exist once it is dirty. The oil that is used in a foam filter I much much thicker and stickier than the oil used in the K&N type. It is actually stringy, which is part of what makes the dirt stay put.

FOAM filters- Excellent flow, Excellent cleaning, and Excellent flow when dirty.

COMMENTS MADE BY NAM MEMBERS

" We also looked at different materials in the filter element, and the look
of the testing rigs filter element with foam was scary.....so no foam in the ........"
"a very extensive test lab with some amazing equipment allowing them to test flow, particle intrusion in parts per million etc. The foam element did not do very well at all, and that is what I based my statement on......"

I would guess the foam filter used in the test mentioned above had little or no oil in it. With what was said above, this company (though we are not affiliated with them) has a great video of foam at work.
http://www.trueflow.com/filtertest/high.htm

"This is kinda old news though, isn't it guys?
It's been said that "Paper Filters" do the best filtering, but restrict flow the most. Cotton filters like k&n flow better than Paper, almost as well as foam and do good job of filtering. Foam filters flow the same as Cotton except better in higher rpm, but do not filter as well. Also, flow rate doesn't suffer when foam get's dirty. "

The "doesn't filter as well", is the only thing wrong with this statement. The above video is a great example why. Also look at the ATV industry, they all use Foam filter specifically for their cleaning/non clogging benefit.

"If the BMP filter size is the same as MiniMania's, it will fit in place of the Alta filter, a little tight, but fits"

I am not sure why people would spend the extra money to replace a high quality foam filter with a K&N type. There really is NO benefit.

There are companies built around both foam & K&N type filters. Both of them believe they have the best product. If you were in the ATV world, you would be all about the foam and how it is so much better. In the auto industry It all about the K&N type. This is from the great marketing they have done over the years beating into peoples heads how the K&N filter is the best. I guess it is time for us to start the beating about foam!

Last edited by ALTA2; 04-15-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:16 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Foam all the way!!!!.... Just dont light it.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:26 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
For that matter, don't light any of them, that oil surley isn't flame retardant!

Alta Performance

Old 04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I've used all three types on motorcycles throughout the years and have found that a well-oiled foam filter (Uni Filter) is much better than anything else. But it must be maintained and oiled on a regular basis. A well-oiled K&N works fairly well BUT you might as well not run a filter at all if it isn't oiled evenly.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:49 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Sounds good. So where can I find a foam filter for my '05 MCc?

Old 04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
ALTA makes foam drop-in filters for both the Cooper and the S....however, isn't the panel filter on the '05 Cooper different?

Old 04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Yes, the 05 car is different, and we found out the hard way. It has a funny big L shape to it. If enough people ask we will surely make one for it. But at this point the new car will most likely be out in less than a year and we will have to make a new one anyway.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Yes, the 05 car is different, and we found out the hard way. It has a funny big L shape to it. If enough people ask we will surely make one for it. But at this point the new car will most likely be out in less than a year and we will have to make a new one anyway.
Well, just in case, put me at the top of the list of people asking.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:43 PM
XAlfa
Banned
If you were in the ATV world, you would be all about the foam and how it is so much better. In the auto industry It all about the K&N type.
ATVs? You mean those little 4-wheeled tractor things that people use for hunting sqirrels? I wouldn't think that 's where you'd find the cutting edge of air intake technology.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:01 PM
mhhoff
2nd Gear
Foam filters

Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
. . . But it must be maintained and oiled on a regular basis.
What's a regular basis (how many miles?) in coastal SoCal conditions?

Old 04-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Mk2 Colonial Viper
2nd Gear
2005 Clarification

Originally Posted by Ryephile
ALTA makes foam drop-in filters for both the Cooper and the S....however, isn't the panel filter on the '05 Cooper different?
When you say the panel filter, are you still talking about the air filter? If so, there's a problem out there for 05 owners as (some?) vendors aren't noting 02-04 only application for the ALTA foam filter.

I thought I'd done my homework/research and given I live in about the most dusty (& hottest) place in North America (Southern AZ), and the preference for foam on Quad's & ATV's in our state, I purchased an ALTA drop in filter for the 05 - filter arrived last week, car delivery is next week :smile: - so I obviously haven't had a chance to confirm the application - just thought it would've stayed the same or I would've seen comments on a change from vendors or on the BBS's.

So I have a new in the box ALTA foam drop in filter waiting for my AZ MINI or it'll need to be returned/a new owner.

Then I'd be on the list for the new version as well.

Scott

Old 04-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mhhoff
What's a regular basis (how many miles?) in coastal SoCal conditions?
It shouldn't require regular cleaning in a non-dusty environment, just make sure it is coated evenly with oil.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:16 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember when I was looking at a K&N filter for my motorcycle they claimed that the filter cleans better as it gets dirty. So when they are new they let dirt go by??

Old 04-15-2005, 07:25 PM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Alta

I got your CAI kit, works great but I could not find the cleaning kit for the foam filter kit locally (Bangkok). Is it possible to use the K&N cleaning kit which is widely available here?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2005, 07:40 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
We have 2 MCS's, an '04 and an '05. I put an Alta CAI on the '05. I took the stock filter from the '05 and put it in the '04. It dropped right in and had no fitting issues. Hence I question any sizeing difference between the '05 and the earlier cars.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:43 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
When I had Euro Styles East call you guys after returning the ALTA I bought 2 weeks ago and returned because it was wrong, your response to them was if the design stays in place for 6 months you will build it. Well we are 8 months into the model run, with the 2006 MC likely to use the same filter.

So put me on the list!

Steve

Old 04-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear

You can buy a foam filter cleaning and oil kit from a motorcycle shop but make sure it's for a FOAM filter. Most are the UNI brand name.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:49 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by ripley
We have 2 MCS's, an '04 and an '05. I put an Alta CAI on the '05. I took the stock filter from the '05 and put it in the '04. It dropped right in and had no fitting issues. Hence I question any sizeing difference between the '05 and the earlier cars.
Sizing difference aplies to us with regular Coopers.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:55 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mk2 Colonial Viper

So I have a new in the box ALTA foam drop in filter waiting for my AZ MINI or it'll need to be returned/a new owner.

Then I'd be on the list for the new version as well.

Scott
Scott,

Ship it back now, it won't fit, unless you have the CVT, then it might. The reason for the change, is that for '05 MINI changed 5sp trans to a Getrag. In doing so the engine mount was relocated and caused a change in shape to the airbox.

Steve

Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Sizing difference aplies to us with regular Coopers.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll gracefully bow out of this thread now (with a little egg on my face).

Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
Couple three questions:

I live in a dusty area of the country, Albuquerque NM, - How often do I need to clean and re-oil my Alta Foam Filter?

I removed my Inter-cooler and noticed a lot of oil on the rubber seals, puddles, both the in and out, I can only think that the oil came from my new Alta Filter - Is that a bad thing?
I have 6K miles on the new filter, installed new right from the box/bag.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Mk2 Colonial Viper
2nd Gear
05 MC owners

Thanks

I have an email into 7enterprises for the return.

It's not about the $ as much as too bad there isn't an option - I'd think a run of a 100 would sell out in short order.

So the 05 ALTA waiting list is growing ....

Scott

Old 04-15-2005, 08:27 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Well there is this from MyMiniParts.com:

Old 04-15-2005, 09:11 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Well there is this from MyMiniParts.com:

I am running an ITG Filter (drop in) on my 05 MCSC and this is the best filter I have found. I also got it from MYMINIPARTS.com. They have filters for all MINIs. The writeups I have read put the ITG way ahead of the K&N.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:32 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was pretty impressed with the mid-rpm+ torque I got from the Alta.
I think that foam filter is good.

I'll play around with the car more tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Foam Filters Explained!!!