Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Help Gurus the dealer is claiming that

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlm
I would assume the dealer is right and have them put in a new ECU. If it doesn't solve the problem, they can remove it and you have eliminated that as the source of trouble. If it does solve the problem, yippee but then you need to figure out what whacked the old ECU, if anything.
I would do this but my concern is that whatever the condition that wacked the ECU is not taken care of and it will happen again. $1600 a pop is not something I want to play with.

They are claiming that the mods and Unichip/GIAC (not on at the same time) is responsible for the problem. If they are right then I have a LOT of money in mods that can't be optimized because they won't perform correctly with the stock (40) software. All the rest of you guys with mods, how would your car run with stock software? Regardless, I will have wasted a lot of money. There are tens of thousands of cars out there that have been "chipped" I just can't believe that this is the problem. Also I work in the high end professional audio world and I am very familiar with all sorts of multi pins and bent pins and cut wires is not the issue.

My car ran fine until they flashed it with 39.2 and it has all been down hill since then. The catalytic converter is fine (someone questioned that). The Miltek header/catback seemed to exacerbate the problem

I'm pissed and depresed at the same time.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:56 PM
jlm
6th Gear
brings up an interesting situation: if the aftermarket hardware is whacking the ECU, is there a warranty with it and would it cover the cost of your ECU replacement? Assuming it is the Unichip for example, you would be the first to have such a problem, so proving it might be a bugger.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:12 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
brings up an interesting situation: if the aftermarket hardware is whacking the ECU, is there a warranty with it and would it cover the cost of your ECU replacement? Assuming it is the Unichip for example, you would be the first to have such a problem, so proving it might be a bugger.
You know, if Mini USA proves that it is some part that caused the problem there might be a claim, however, I doubt it. I think this whole things smells of people covering their butts and blaming it on the other guy. My latest brain storm is to truck the car to Randy and let him sort it out. All the mods were bought from him except the 19% and the injectors (Helix). I would not expect Randy to do it for free but if you add the cost of the mods and the cost of the car my Mini is close to an Elise so I can't let it sit and I won't settle for something half assed (can I say that here?). I'd rather give up on MINIs and part out the mods....put the car back to stock and sell it.......which would be a shame because the car is really fun........sometimes.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:22 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
SpiderX,

You might be better off taking it to someone like Randy. On the one hand I can't blame the dealer too much. Your car is fairly heavily modified, with a piggyback ECU in place. You take the risk some that not only can the modded parts cause problem, but they will cause problems with the dealers. If I was a dealer and someone modified what I sold them, I wouldn't feel very responsible either. Especially one that is getting to the level of mods as your car. I could see a car with a pulley coming and expecting the dealer to spend some time on the car. But it also costs the dealership money to track down the problem. There is probably some finger pointing going on, but I wouldn't expect the dealer to be very friendly about this either. The factory spends large sums of money on R&D, millions more than someone like Randy, and they calculate their warranties off of this fact, and based on their numbers. When someone throws mods on that haven't been tested by Mini you can't blame them on some level. A few times around the track and the tuner not seeing any problems even after driving it for 3 months doesn't cut it. Mini put 140,000 + miles on their JCW before releasing it, and tested it only about 60 miles from the arctic circle. They can't vouch for a Unichip installation or some tuner who put a cam in. Good luck with tracking it down.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You're in the Atlanta area, right? Have you thought about taking it to RSpeed to see if they can figure it out?

Trucking it to Randy Webb is an option, but the transport alone will cost you $600 or more. Then the diagnostic labor charges start accumulating and then the cost of the replacement parts (if any). Finally, you'd have to truck it or drive it home.

I don't know if this is even possible (may be issues with coding, etc...), but what about the ECU from a wrecked car?

Old 03-05-2005, 05:41 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
SpiderX,

You might be better off taking it to someone like Randy. On the one hand I can't blame the dealer too much. Your car is fairly heavily modified, with a piggyback ECU in place. You take the risk some that not only can the modded parts cause problem, but they will cause problems with the dealers. If I was a dealer and someone modified what I sold them, I wouldn't feel very responsible either. Especially one that is getting to the level of mods as your car. I could see a car with a pulley coming and expecting the dealer to spend some time on the car. But it also costs the dealership money to track down the problem. There is probably some finger pointing going on, but I wouldn't expect the dealer to be very friendly about this either. The factory spends large sums of money on R&D, millions more than someone like Randy, and they calculate their warranties off of this fact, and based on their numbers. When someone throws mods on that haven't been tested by Mini you can't blame them on some level. A few times around the track and the tuner not seeing any problems even after driving it for 3 months doesn't cut it. Mini put 140,000 + miles on their JCW before releasing it, and tested it only about 60 miles from the arctic circle. They can't vouch for a Unichip installation or some tuner who put a cam in. Good luck with tracking it down.
I represent about 30 manufacturers for a living. In my carreer I have represented in the neighborhood of 200. I understand manufacturing/r&d/prototypes/beta tests and warranty issues etc. ad nauseum. This is BS!

There is no doubt a case can be made by the MFG.....but.......after all the "chipping" that goes on in the world, and these are two high profile vendors, to claim that it is the software etc. is ...well....BS. I know that I am probably screwed here but my concern now is to get the car running right and taking full advantage of my mod investment $. These are "bolt- ons" for God sake. There is no boring, strokeing, racing pistons etc. There is no turbo with NO2 trying to make 400hp. The car has never been autox let alone tracked. It is driven spiritedly on the street, never abused. I'm sure I will here something on Monday as to what MINI will do for me. More later.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Unless I'm missing it somewhere in two pages of posts, I still don't see where the dealer has proven that any of the mods caused the failure.

If there are no bent pins or any other visible damages to the ECU who knows what is causing the problem. Again, the code that was thrown does not necessarily indicate your ECU is bad. The sensor that determines the fault could just as easily be the culprit.

I'm not an expert on the Magnusson-Moss act, but my understanding is that the dealer has to prove that the mod in question caused the problem.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:17 PM
namwob
5th Gear
So far you have a symptom.The ECU is bad. Code 1237 (MAP sensor) maybe cause, maybe symptom also. Wiring? Unichip? Untill its fully diagnosed. Nobody is responsible but you. If its the wiring map sensor/Ecu BMW is legally responsible in the USA regardless OF unichip, GIAC, PAINTED BRAKE CALIPERS or whatever. Its all been settled in court including chips. Doesn't mean they won't fight it (read;don't waste your time because they are willing to buy more time than you /I could afford) Unless the dealership can PROVE a specific aftermarket product was the cause, the parts & labor are under warranty which was included in the price of our cars!Which brings me back to(read;...................... Tell Randy every one says "whatever it is everyone says"

Old 03-05-2005, 06:38 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob
So far you have a symptom.The ECU is bad. Code 1237 (MAP sensor) maybe cause, maybe symptom also. Wiring? Unichip? Untill its fully diagnosed. Nobody is responsible but you. If its the wiring map sensor/Ecu BMW is legally responsible in the USA regardless OF unichip, GIAC, PAINTED BRAKE CALIPERS or whatever. Its all been settled in court including chips. Doesn't mean they won't fight it (read;don't waste your time because they are willing to buy more time than you /I could afford) Unless the dealership can PROVE a specific aftermarket product was the cause, the parts & labor are under warranty which was included in the price of our cars!Which brings me back to(read;...................... Tell Randy every one says "whatever it is everyone says"
I do appeciate everyone of the posts.

As concerned as I am about the $1600, it's the reoccurance of the same thing that bugs me as much as the $1600.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
namwob
5th Gear
thats why you need someone reputable thats willing to eat it if they make a faulty diagnosis (oops it ate another ecu) Your problem is not irrepairable.The dealerships just throw up their hands & point.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:31 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob
thats why you need someone reputable thats willing to eat it if they make a faulty diagnosis (oops it ate another ecu) Your problem is not irrepairable.The dealerships just throw up their hands & point.
The problem is that Randy doesn't live here in Atlanta. The most knowledgeable guy in ATL works on the cars part time for his own fun. I'm going to see if I can get his help. I'm getting resigned to parking it for a while.

With so many modded cars out there, there has to be people that can figure this out. Getting to their shop is another matter