Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain the MCS needs hacker help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:43 AM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are the hackers?

What we need is a good hacker. It seems hackers are like cops, in that you can’t find one when you need one. I am not a PC guru, I’d like to be but I’m not; additionally, I don’t know why chips for the S are slow to the market, but I have a few ideas. After all we are talking software. I’ve found software editors for OBD, GM, and more but not the OBDII used by MINI. GMEP doesn’t work; neither does EMPOM, nor, any the others I’ve tracked down. (it seem EPROM and EEPROM are used) With them all you need is a connector, (Radio Shack) a PC, a car with a chip, and your in business. Does anyone know who manufactures the physical chip, or who wrote/has the required software? The software is available; otherwise, MINI Mania, Graham Racing, etc could not have a product in the works. I don’t expect them to make the software available. Is it an in-house (BMW) job? It wasn’t for other Bimmers. Surely a MINI owner somewhere can help get the needed software, codes, etc. A generic performance chip is OK, as long as you buy all of your goodies from the same outfit, and update your chip every time $$$$$$$$. Far from ideal (unless you are the vendor), you need one for your car, with you setup, and your driving habits.

Old 12-15-2002, 09:30 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Tsprayfhs - hope I got that right and welcome to MCO.

What your asking for on open bandwidth is nothing short of industrial espionage - if I'm reading you right.

Whether some company has acquired the technology legally and produced chips is irrelevant.

This may not be your greatest move in life's game.

Old 12-15-2002, 10:25 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
He's just talking about coming up with the ability to modify performance variables. Perfectly legal.

Reverse-engineering the software is legal as long as it's done correctly, and he's not talking about selling something that's pirated, so I'm not sure what your objection is.

As to Tsprayfhs' query: someone was already talking about doing it (can't recall if it was here or mini2.com), and that it was very complex. I'd be patient. It sounds like aftermarket will respond with an editor.

FWIW, these are common for bikes. Some even with Palm versions so that you can alter maps on the fly!

Jeff

Old 12-15-2002, 04:49 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
One of the programs used on bikes is Power Comander. According to their web site they have a dealer here in Knoxville. I hope to talk with them sometine this week, but my schedual is full. After I talk with them hopefully I'll have something to post. the Commander site has prices or lower than the cost of a chip. Around $200-$400 for eq. & software (if it will work) they can produce multi-layered chips (what I call a chip with multiple mappings) It all boggles my mind. I am a programming jelly-bean. If anybody has any more ideas speak up.

Motor on

Old 12-18-2002, 06:30 AM
Daron
2nd Gear
Chip editing is not illegal, well not in the manner discussed above. It can be considered illegal if the modifications done to the calibration effect emissions (editing timing/fueling tables for more power). There is talk in the the emissions enforcement arena about attaching scan tools to cars being tested to verify the calibration is stock ( long time off though).
I burn chips for my Syclone and Typhoon. What it entails is a EEPROM burner with software, a piggyback style board or modification to stock Memcal to make it removable, editing software and a knowledge of strategies employed by the folks that wrote the original code.
In the syclone and typhoon's case, information regarding the ECM is out there. Understanding what to change in the chip and each parameter's effect, is what is difficult to grasp. It's easy to make a vehicle slower with misguided changes.

In the Mini's case, I have yet to find information relating to chip editing. I asked a technician at the dealer how the MINI software updates are performed and his response was that they just download the update to the ECU, without removal etc.. If they can do it, so can we. We just need to find alternate tools to perform the changes. Editing the chip is only one aspect of chip tuning. How will you measure performance of the change? At the minimum, monitoring the knock sensor is a must. it would be nice to see what the Oxygen sensor is doing as well.
For GM ecm's we have many scan tools where we can monitor most ECM sensors. Here is a screen shot of one of the more popular scan tools we use:

Having the ability to store and graph ECM information needs to come before the recreational chipper goes and makes changes in the calibration IMHO... Folks with access to a Dyno and a Wide band oxygen sensor will have an easier time at chip tuning than those of us relying on alternative measures such as track times, and ECM logging.
With that said, we can succeed. We just need information and the proper tools.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:43 AM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
If your talking about the PowerCommander from DynoJet, I highly recommend it if one is available for MINIs.

I have used one fairly extensively on a recent Ducati project. I was able to succesfully replace 48 mm throttle bodies and "IW" style injectors with 54 mm throttle bodies and "showerhead" IWP style injectors (injectors up-stream of throttle plates). Obvioulsy huge differences in fueling requirements and flow.

With the PowerCommander and a laptop, this thing is dialed-in. Pretty easy to map throttle position (angle of "open&quot against desired air/fuel ratio. Very cool

Oh, perfectly legal too....

Old 12-18-2002, 07:07 AM
Daron
2nd Gear
Here is some basic ECU info... Pay attention what they say about what happens at "full load" or what we refer to as wide open throttle. The Lambda sensor is ignored (Oxygen sensor) thus dispelling the contention that our vehicles "learn" to account for modifications. The ECU updates variables to keep the O2 sensor at 14.7/1 Air Fuel ratio, during part throttle operation, but at WOT, the ecu references preprogrammed tables. This is why reprograming the ECU is needed...

http://www.hs-elektronik.com/datenbl...5ps-149nm.html