Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 08:05 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks to Jim Cates at Magnaflow (who has been the epitome of customer service), the Magnaflow got here in time to be installed for the MINIware party.

First: I have done installs on the Borla and the Magnaflow, as well as some experience with the stock system. The Magnaflow, due to the lack of "barbs" on the hangers, has been the easiest install (though it still is no fun dealing with the stock rubber hangers). The design was well executed for install purposes. Everything fit together beautifully, and went into place without a hitch.

Second: Compared to the Borla, there is much less vibration associated with the exhaust. The Magnaflow is very smooth.

Third: Seat of the pants, the Magnaflow definitely feels like it provides more low end torque than the stock or Borla system does. This is a little baffling, as the Borla has smaller secondary pipes, which would make me think it would have more low down torque, but that the Magnaflow would have higher RPM hp. Dyno testing to come..

Fourth: At first, I liked the subtle, mellow sound of the Magnaflow, but now that the system has broken in, it's MUCH louder than stock or the Borla.

Fifth: The outlets are, well, kinda funky looking. Maybe I'll get used to them. They do, however, look functional - like two mini (no pun intended) megaphones - drawing the air out.

In all, a very nice system that, at first look, appears to produce what they said it would. The dyno will tell more, but I want to drive the car and let the ECU adapt.

Those of you coming to the party, we will have the Quicksilver (MINI-Madness), the Borla, and the Magnaflow all on the cars with a rather trick set up for viewing. Can't wait to see you all there (all twenty cars)!

More on the install in the form of a full how-to article will come. I will also be writing a full comparo on the different systems in the MINI5280 newsletter. Keep watching for more on this promising system.

Randy

MINI-Motorsport

Old 12-11-2002, 08:09 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too loud for the street? Unfortunately I have
to drive on it. Anxiously awaiting the results
of your research. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:15 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Not too loud for the street, but loud in the car. I drove home from the Denver airport (which I think is technically in Kansas) today, and doing about 85-90 the whole way, you can't comfortably listen to the radio.

At "highway" speeds, things mat be different, but there is noise that isn't part of the Borla or stock.

That said, it is still a "smoother" feel. There isn't vibration or rumbling. There is a cool popping sound at part throttle lift .

Old 12-11-2002, 08:17 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll concur with what RandyBMC said, as I was present to help (err, supervise... err, stand around and drink beer..

Old 12-11-2002, 08:21 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Dave,

Do you have any pics of the install you could put up? You were of tremendous help. Your supervision skills are killer - you need to be president of something, oh, wait, you are. (MINI5280 President: Dave in Denver)

Old 12-11-2002, 08:33 PM
newbs49
Banned
RANDY

Have you had your car at highway speeds 65-75 mph for any extended time periods.I would like to know how the exhaust sounds on long runs.some systems will drive you right out of the car with excessive noise levels.Thanks for your help.
When are you doing your Dyno work????

Old 12-11-2002, 08:39 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Highway speeds for extended periods: yep, that's why I mentioned the drive to and from the airport. For those of you Denver unlocal types, the airport is about an hour away from anyone's house. I drove it there, with a nice mellow sound. By about halfway back from the airport this afternoon, the sound kept increasing. I drove it at "full volume" for about half-an-hour. It's loud, but I also had the rear seats folded down with the parcel shelf removed. It may be more bearable with the seats up and the tray in place. I was also doing a little better than highway speeds, so 65-70 may not be as bad. It does sound cool, it's just louder than the Borla that I'm used to.

Like I said, I'll keep you posted. The dyno stuff will start soon, as I'm trying to work out some deals with those that have one in the Denver area.

Randy

Old 12-12-2002, 05:23 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Randy,

I have some pics, but I'd like to snap some more tomorrow night and then throw them up together.

Dave

Old 12-12-2002, 07:10 AM
DK23
3rd Gear
Randy,
Great information, very descriptive and helpful. I can hardly wait to hear the dyno results. There are so many systems out there, and more every day, it is going to be tough to make a decision. Have you talked to UUC about trying out theirs in comparison? There is also a new system in the works that is 4 outlet like the M3 (I can't seem to find where I read about it) . Might be nice to find out more about it, as it seems to be a different direction.
What is Mini5280? Miniware party?

Old 12-12-2002, 07:32 AM
DK23
3rd Gear
Just found the info. Birds in the UK is developing the M3 style exhaust. They are the UK Hartge tuner.
http://www.birds.uk.com/

Old 12-12-2002, 07:38 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>Just found the info. Birds in the UK is developing the M3 style exhaust. They are the UK Hartge tuner.
>>http://www.birds.uk.com/

So much stuff....what to do...what to do...
the monkey is getting agitated...

Old 12-12-2002, 08:09 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
DK,

The MINIware party is at MINI-Motorsport here in Denver Friday night. There are products from several vendors that will be there, and over 20 MINIs attending.

MINI5280 is the Denver area (and perhaps beyond soon) MINI club. Keep a watch on MINI5280.org for some updates soon.

I haven't talked to UUC, but I would like to get a hold of their system. Interesting design.

Randy

MINI-Motorsport

Old 12-12-2002, 08:17 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>Fourth: At first, I liked the subtle, mellow sound of the Magnaflow, but now that the system has broken in, it's MUCH louder than stock or the Borla.

Randy,

Thanks for your time to post your findings. I can't wait for the dyno reports. I'm kinda a newbie with exhaust systems and with the MINI Cooper (mines on order and plan to put a new intake and exhaust onto it the day it arrives) so all these findings are of interest to me.

In regard to the loudness of the exhaust, would a resonator help? (Forgive me if either the MCS or Magnaflow already comes with one)

Thanks,

Old 12-12-2002, 09:39 AM
X2Board
5th Gear
>>So much stuff....what to do...what to do...
>>the monkey is getting agitated...
>>

So...What do you do if the monkey misbehaves? Time out or spanking?

X2

Old 12-12-2002, 09:44 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Dominic,

There is a resonator coming right off the cat on the Magnaflow. The stock system routes the entire flow through both mufflers, whereas the aftermarket systems (except for the Quicksilver) split the flow so that only half the flow enters each muffler.

The Cooper has a whole other world of exhausts. You can see the RSpeed on the home page now, and here is a copy of the Magnaflow for the Cooper.

MINI-Motorsport

Old 12-12-2002, 09:48 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
nice work getting the pic up.

Old 12-12-2002, 09:56 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>There is a resonator coming right off the cat on the Magnaflow.

Oh, cool I just didn't remember seeing one in one of the pics I saw for the MCS Magnaflow. Thanks for the 411.

BTW, the new Denver airport is soooo cool. :smile:

Dominic

Old 12-13-2002, 12:27 AM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
Hi guys,

I also have a Magna Flow system that is awaiting test. My car get here in less than 48 hours then I plan on driving the distance of the globe in the next week just so I can test.

I hope to compare my dyno results and feelings about the system. Next week.

If anyone has info they can add to http://www.mcshp.org please let me know.

Bryan

Old 12-16-2002, 09:54 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
I'd be interested in setting up a working relationship with you for testing purposes MCSHP.

After driving the car now for a few hundred miles, I've gotten used to the tips. I've replaced the parcel tray and the seatbacks are up - it's still pretty loud, but I can listen to the radio now. By far, the Magnaflow has the coolset sound of the aftermarket systems I've used. It has a howl that the others just don't have. It also has much more part throttle lift burble and popping. Like I said, the coolest sounding of the bunch. I also think it makes similar power to the Quicksilver and more than the Borla (subjective "seat of pants" test only at this point).

The pluses:
-excellent fit and finish
-wicked mean sound
-seat of the pants torque and hp increase
-no vibrations
-easiest install of the aftermarket systems

The minuses:
-tip look (it grows on you though)
-sheer volume

I had the Magnaflow on the car for the MINI5280 Alpine Rally Tribute drive, and going through the tunnels was pure music!

As more information comes available, I'll post it.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com

Old 12-16-2002, 09:58 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Randy,
People already tell me I play the radio too loud.
Will they tell me I drive too loud with the Magnaflow?
Concerned...

Old 12-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Yeah...anybody got a....uhhh, whaddya call it....sound decible measuring device thingie... I'd be interested to hear how loud the magnaflow is compared to stock both in and outside the car at cruising speeds.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:27 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Grinder,

I don't have a decibel meter, but here is a shot of the exhaust on the car. This was at the MINIware party.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com

Old 12-20-2002, 10:30 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I also have a Magna Flow system that is awaiting test. My car get here in less than 48 hours then I plan on driving the distance of the globe in the next week just so I can test.
>>
>>I hope to compare my dyno results and feelings about the system. Next week.
>>
>>If anyone has info they can add to http://www.mcshp.org please let me know.
>>
>>Bryan
Bryan,
That is where I got the info on the BMP but others have said it is incorrect. ???
Randy,
Oooohhhh Magnaflow....
I emailed ya.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:46 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>If anyone has info they can add to http://www.mcshp.org please let me know.
>>
>>Bryan

Bryan,

I'd like to offer an unsolicited suggestion if I may. I checked out your site and was impressed on the number of items you have listed. My only suggestion is to have more columns added, being "independantly tested" hp/torque and the columns you currently have relabeled to say manufacturer claimed HP/torque.

Thanks,
Dominic

p.s. I emailed this to your hotmail account as well...

Old 12-20-2002, 01:54 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned

>>Bryan,
>>That is where I got the info on the BMP but others have said it is incorrect. ???
>>Randy,
>>Oooohhhh Magnaflow....
>>I emailed ya.
>>

2minis,

I think if you look at the research that Bryan has done after he gets up his latest dyno runs, you'll see that the info all matches.

I actually got my numbers from some of the runs they did in Oregon. The numbers currently posted are the numbers straight from BMP.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Magnaflow