Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installed Raceseng Shift Knob - Instantly Loose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 08:20 PM
mountain_bound
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Raceseng Shift **** - Instantly Loose?

Hi, I was tired of the shift **** that came in our used 2013 Cooper S. I installed a Raceseng shift **** after reading a lot of great things about them. They use threaded adapter with 4 set screws. I installed everything as instructed and even used blue locktite. Less than a mile down the road it was instantly loose and sloppy. It seems as if all the set screws came loose immediately. Anyone have any tips of this specific shift ****? Not real happy with my $250 purchase currently...

https://imgur.com/a/Q0t5c0b

Old 08-11-2021, 03:36 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Looks like the adapter hasn’t seated correctly, or has come loose? The adapter should be pretty snug on the shift lever, and the screws should only help it from turning. I’ve had mine for years now, and it hasn’t ever loosened up… I would take it apart and see if anything is broken or has come out of alignment.

Have you reached out to Raceseng?

Old 08-11-2021, 07:38 AM
mountain_bound
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Looks like the adapter hasn’t seated correctly, or has come loose? The adapter should be pretty snug on the shift lever, and the screws should only help it from turning. I’ve had mine for years now, and it hasn’t ever loosened up… I would take it apart and see if anything is broken or has come out of alignment.

Have you reached out to Raceseng?
That was my thought. The adapter should be much tighter than it is. I used a micrometer and there is a 2mm difference between the shift rod and the adapter which doesn't seem right at all. I did reach out to raceseng and they confirmed the correct part number was on the adapter. I'm wondering if it was a machining issue on their end or such. I checked it all out and nothing is broke, the only thing that came loose was the set screws which came loose immediately. I'll see what they end up telling me and update this thread.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:12 PM
mountain_bound
1st Gear
Update to this thread. After going back and forth with Raceseng I found out that my factory shift rod had been shortened by the previous owner and reason why their adapter wont work. I had no idea, my first mini and never thought the shift **** was aftermarket or the rod cut. Raceseng unfortunately didn't have an adapter that would work with my modified rod so I'll be sending it back and just returning back to my old one. Might look into a cravenspeed short shifter down the road.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:04 PM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
What a bummer! Cravenspeed FTW