Drivetrain NEW RELEASE: Dinan Stage 1 Pre-LCI B46/B48 3rd Gen MINI Performance Engine Software (

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 02:33 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - DME installed, probably 15 miles on the new tune right now. Nothing crazy just local streets - but this is nice. First - big shout out to the “new” Dinan/APR folks. I had the original Elite I pulled off and shipped on a Friday. I had the DME back in my hands with new tune on Wednesday and installed on Thursday. DME removal and replacement is very very simple and the Dinan Video on this is a big help until you get familiar with process.

My 2016 JCW has the 3 gauges (Oil Pressure, Boost Pressure, Track Timer) and boost pressure was never accurate with the Elite (the elite works but “hiding” the boost letting more boost pressure be added for HP…roughly). This one seems accurate now (OBDII fed) and be curious if it ever throws the old after pressure boost errors like the Elite did occasionally. Initial impressions are that drivability is awesome, spin both tires on a 1-2 shift entirely too easy and acceleration is noticeably improved. I also did lower engine mount bushing, brakes and a JCW Pro Exhaust so that combo makes this tune nice.

With Exhaust, valve open still get crackles and pops just not as obnoxious (frequent) - but when it goes it is LOUD and sharp crack vs. a pop. I like it but also glad I have option to close the valve as needed. Be curious once I put on the Bilstein Coilovers (B16 PSS10) how it feels as a package…but wanted to post back and say with limited use, seems like Dinan did a great job on this (Stage 1 93 octane). They also proved incredibly responsive, helpful and fast - as a vendor have to give them a 10/10.

The following users liked this post:
F5666 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 03:09 PM
F5666
2nd Gear
Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
I have been on the tuned DME now for 5 days and I will echo the previous posters comments - this tune is really good. Drivability still there but once you get on it, pulls like a freight train to redline. Green mode improved too - I used to hate it b/c the car felt dead from the neck down in Green Mode, now it has some responsiveness and I can eke out 400mi/tank. Sport mode does spin 1/2 and chirps 3. Really opens up around 3/3500 RPM. Before when I would “play with others” on the freeway it was always work. Now in many cases they don’t even attempt to keep up recognizing the car is significantly faster. I think I need to address the Intake because under WOT I have a whistle from the turbo sucking air through a straw aka the factory air box and snorkel.

Old 03-08-2023, 03:24 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F5666
I think I need to address the Intake because under WOT I have a whistle from the turbo sucking air through a straw aka the factory air box and snorkel.
This one I’m not sure there is a good answer. The intake is hampered by the tiny flattened snorkels - honestly should have used the hood scoop like Eventuri intake. BUT - no way I’m spending Eventuri money. I looked at so many intakes and not really a great solution out there. I love the look of the Dinan, and the change in filter media probably does help with airflow a bit…but in the end it is like every other intake (except Eventuri)…a stock sized intake box, the stock snorkel and fabric filter media.

For me I simply bought a green filter drop in for stock box pretend that works . Kills me they didn’t use the hood scoop but that horse has been beat to death…

Old 03-08-2023, 03:37 PM
F5666
2nd Gear
I read the logic behind the Dinan solution and seems they investigated all sorts of options during the design phase, including the snorkel/cold air tract. They abandoned the hood scoop and snorkel all together and did some CFD to end up with their solution - a stock-like box with a huge flared opening on the wheel side. I am still curious just how much air is “stolen from under the hood” in this configuration but they state this was the best solution given the constraints.

I do question it a bit b/c as I understand things, any sharp edges or corners create standing waves with moving air and the air box is somewhat squared off.

I would love to hear someone from the Dinan design crew talk about the air box solution and address: a) air intake temp gains/losses with their airbox. Maybe not a drastic issue for many but I live in Miami and it is perennially hot here so anything to reduce underhood temps or intake air temps nets noticeable gains and b) the squared off design and how that affects airflow in their modeling. Examples or data would be nice.

I will buy one immediately if they can reasonably address my concerns as I am in the market for the Eventuri and it’s one of the next purchases on my list this month.

FlyingScot57 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 08:23 AM
DeafRyan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinan Engineering

Dinan Stage 1 B46/B48 3rd Gen MINI Performance Engine Software (Flash)

Part Number(s): D900-B46-B48-M-S1 & D900-B46-B48-M-S1-W

Applications:
  • 2017-2019 F60 Countryman S
  • 2017-2019 F60 Countryman S ALL4
  • 2018-2019 F60 Countryman JCW ALL4
  • 2016-2019 F54 Clubman S
  • 2017-2019 F54 Clubman S ALL4
  • 2017-2019 F54 Clubman JCW ALL4
  • 2014-2019 F57 Cooper S
  • 2015-2019 F57 Cooper JCW
  • 2014-2019 F55/F56 Cooper S
  • 2015-2019 F55/F56 Cooper JCW
Current compatability of the B46/B48 engine software is limited to Pre-LCI vehicles (MY 2019 and prior). If you own an LCI MINI and are interested in helping Dinan test compatibilty with your vehicle please reach out to developmentcars@dinancars.com. Please note it would require the vehicle and/or the DME to be sent to Dinan in Opelika, Alabama.

Product Page(s) / Pricing:Release Date: Available Now!

Description: The 3rd Generation MINI carries on the tradition of its predecessors and offers its owners an enjoyable driving experience via the virtue of being compact and nimble. However, stock levels of power are pedestrian for those enamored with maximum performance. This is especially true when compared to its BMW siblings that Dinan has tweaked and improved for decades. With the B46/B48 powerplant shared between both marques it begs the question – what would the MINI platform be like with an extra 50HP or even 75HP to go along with its already gratifying handling characteristics?

Extraordinary is the answer the Dinan R&D team has discovered. The B46 on 93 octane and absolutely no other modifications but the Dinan stage 1 tune clocks in with raucous gains of 87 WHP and 109 TRQ. Even if you wish to retain the 4yr/50k warranty, the Dinan+ variant registers gains of 70 WHP and 89 TRQ. Both options result in nearly ½ another MINI’s worth of power packed into that diminutive frame. What does this mean for you? Fun. Lots of it. Agility and power, together at last.

While increases in power at this scale typically come at a cost to the engine's durability, this is typically due to improper calibrations that are simply after one goal regardless of engine health - maximum power. Dinan’s calibrations are safe and reliable without sacrificing long-term reliability or performance. Dinan performance engine software is so much more than just turning up the turbo boost after all. It is a fully re-tuned engine management program that maximizes power while keeping all the BMW factory safeguards in place. In most cases Dinan software engineers also implement their own additional safety precautions in order to guarantee flawless performance that may not have been needed with factory power levels/programming. Protecting your MINI, while giving the most performance, is the definition of "Performance Without Sacrifice". To do just that, drivetrain and engine components are analyzed for strength, and then the calibration is tested on the dyno and in the real world for durability and drivability. This process has been a cornerstone of Dinan software development for decades and a major reason why Dinan performance tunes are often labelled as being the smoothest, factory-like solution in the marketplace.

Features/Benefits (Stage 1):
  • More Power: Max gains of 87 WHP / 109 lb-ft of torque over stock with 93 octane on ‘S’ models. Consult the performance charts for additional octanes and/or detailed data on other vehicle variants.
  • Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
  • Access to numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100 and 104). Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer.
  • Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide-open throttle and everywhere in between.
  • Optimized boost control, cam phasing, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
  • Top speed governor (VMAX) removed.
  • Aggressive sport mode cooling added for optimum track effectiveness.
  • Downshift Auto-Blip added for DSC off / Sport Mode conditions.
  • Upgradeable from DINANTRONICS Elite via trade-in program. Consult B46/B48 FAQ on the product page for details.
  • Retains all MINI factory engine safeguards and adds additional safety protections such as the stationary rev limiter being set to 4000 RPM and implementation of per gear torque limits.
  • Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
  • Stock JCW pops and bangs settings retained (JCW), or implemented (S), depending on application.

Features/Benefits (Dinan +):
  • More Power: Max gains of 70 WHP / 89 lb-ft of torque over stock with 91 octane on ‘S’ models. Consult the performance charts for additional data on other vehicle variants.
  • Dinan + performance software matches the factory new car warranty (4year / 50,000 mi) and is the warranty protection commonly associated with the Dinan brand.
  • Limited to a single calibration (91).
  • All other features from stage 1 above are shared with the Dinan + calibration.

Special Notes:
  • DME UNLOCK & FLASH: MINI B46/B48 DME's must be unlocked and bench flashed by Dinan. While dealer / retail unlock and flashing tools are in development and will be available in the future, at present, two options are available: (1) Visit a Dinan Dealer and purchase the Dinan Flash Software. They will remove and mail the DME to Dinan. We'll unlock the DME, flash the software and ship it back. They'll reinstall the DME. (2) Purchase the tune. Send us your DME. We’ll unlock it, install Dinan software, and ship it back. The unlock process is free. Ground shipping to the continental USA is free. Please follow the steps on the product page if this is the course you wish to pursue. At no time during the unlocking process is the DME opened or physically modified. If the DME is flashed back to stock, it will need to be unlocked again. Also, vehicle manufacturers issue many DME part numbers and revisions throughout their vehicle lineup. As such, some DMEs may be temporarily unavailable as new parts and/or revisions are released.
  • BOX CODES: The MINI B46/B48 engine and its multitude of variants account for numerous unique box codes across various platforms. While Dinan has created files for many of these permutations, there is a chance you may have a box code that we have not seen. If this happens to be the case we will need to create a file for your vehicle. This process could add up to 7 days to the bench flash process although in most cases it will be turned around within 2 business days.

Hey Dinan, I just have a few questions about this stage one tune. My family and I generally stay away from tuned cars as we want our cars to stay reliable, so we normal buy faster cars so we never think about tuning; however, with my 2018 F60 MCS All4, I have trying to pick between the Stage One engine tune (D900-B46-B48-M-S1) listed from this thread vs the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022(D440-0136). I like the idea of not taking out the ECU if it is locked, or even tuning the stock ECU just in case something does happen. But I really want the increased tuning performance of the Stage one ECU Flash.
So the main thing that it really comes down to is reliability for me. This would be the first time tuning a car if I do go through (99.99% sure), but I will be going out of state for college with my brother sharing my mini(F60) with no family in the area. I don't want my car to break down due to the increased HP and torque.
Questions:
1. Y'all say that the increased HP doesn't go past the engineengine safeguards for both the stage 1 tune and DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022, but can you share the engine safeguards listed and how close y'all are to exceeding those? Can you provide any numbers or a ball park please? I know that might not be possible and if that is the case can you make me feel better about the long term reliability?

2. I'm also curious if there will be any issues with the automatic transmission as it has ALL4, and if my transmission can handle the Increased HP and Torque for either from the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022 or Stage 1 tune?

3. If I ever want to remove the tune off the ECU maybe to sell the car in 5+ years or if I start to have problems, will there be a fee or anything that I should know?

4. What are the biggest issues related to the stage 1 ECU tune that you guys have seen from costumers and how common are they?
From what I can tell, people seem to be really happy and report no problem in the short term or long term. I actually can't find anybody complaining about the stage 1 it on internet, with very few complains with the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022, but those issues seem to be fixed.

5. With the Stage 1 tune I don't have a JCW, but I have the S, would I get the same popping as the JCW with the tune? I love the pops...

6. Final question(sorry), I see on your website for stage 1 ECU tune that I need to pick the gas that I will use every time I fill up, and this is a dumb question, but I live in a higher altitude area and with lower air pressure, the 93 at sea level becomes 91 for where I live and plan go to college. For the tune, should I go with 93 or 91?

Thank you, right now I'm for sure going to get at least the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022 from y'all in a month or so, but if everything seems to be good with the stage one ECU tune, I might go with that for increase gains. From what I know the B46 which is in my 2018 f60 mini if I understand that correctly?; I know that it has a different compression ratio, weaker engine block, rods, and pistons compared to the B48. That's why asking all these questions. Thank Y'all and have a good day

Old 03-16-2023, 10:52 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DeafRyan
Hey Dinan, I just have a few questions about this stage one tune. My family and I generally stay away from tuned cars as we want our cars to stay reliable, so we normal buy faster cars so we never think about tuning; however, with my 2018 F60 MCS All4, I have trying to pick between the Stage One engine tune (D900-B46-B48-M-S1) listed from this thread vs the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022(D440-0136). I like the idea of not taking out the ECU if it is locked, or even tuning the stock ECU just in case something does happen. But I really want the increased tuning performance of the Stage one ECU Flash.
So the main thing that it really comes down to is reliability for me. This would be the first time tuning a car if I do go through (99.99% sure), but I will be going out of state for college with my brother sharing my mini(F60) with no family in the area. I don't want my car to break down due to the increased HP and torque.
Questions:
1. Y'all say that the increased HP doesn't go past the engineengine safeguards for both the stage 1 tune and DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022, but can you share the engine safeguards listed and how close y'all are to exceeding those? Can you provide any numbers or a ball park please? I know that might not be possible and if that is the case can you make me feel better about the long term reliability?

2. I'm also curious if there will be any issues with the automatic transmission as it has ALL4, and if my transmission can handle the Increased HP and Torque for either from the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022 or Stage 1 tune?

3. If I ever want to remove the tune off the ECU maybe to sell the car in 5+ years or if I start to have problems, will there be a fee or anything that I should know?

4. What are the biggest issues related to the stage 1 ECU tune that you guys have seen from costumers and how common are they?
From what I can tell, people seem to be really happy and report no problem in the short term or long term. I actually can't find anybody complaining about the stage 1 it on internet, with very few complains with the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022, but those issues seem to be fixed.

5. With the Stage 1 tune I don't have a JCW, but I have the S, would I get the same popping as the JCW with the tune? I love the pops...

6. Final question(sorry), I see on your website for stage 1 ECU tune that I need to pick the gas that I will use every time I fill up, and this is a dumb question, but I live in a higher altitude area and with lower air pressure, the 93 at sea level becomes 91 for where I live and plan go to college. For the tune, should I go with 93 or 91?

Thank you, right now I'm for sure going to get at least the DINANTRONICS X - 2014-2022 from y'all in a month or so, but if everything seems to be good with the stage one ECU tune, I might go with that for increase gains. From what I know the B46 which is in my 2018 f60 mini if I understand that correctly?; I know that it has a different compression ratio, weaker engine block, rods, and pistons compared to the B48. That's why asking all these questions. Thank Y'all and have a good day
1. Up until we sold it a earlier this year our in house development Pre-LCI MCS had been running the max E85 file for 3 years with no issues. We did not treat it lightly either between numerous track days and every day hoonery. Frankly, the thing got abused and kept on ticking. I have heard nothing but positive things from the new owner as well. That's about as best a testimonial as I can give for reliability. The DPT X is a bit of a different animal since its retains the limitations from the factory floor unlike a flash. Generally speaking we try to maintain a 10-15% power padding from levels where a code would be triggered BUT not all cars are created equal and some may be running closer to the factory edge out of the gate. When you turn up boost and command a new voltage in those case it may then bring it past those acceptable parameters and trigger a code. I would say those have been extremely rare with the DPT X but it will never be zero just by the nature of the vehicels and how piggybacks work.

2. No. Automatic transmission is fine. Manual transmissions actually have more custom tuning involved then the automatics for safety since with the manual you can force the thing to do more questionable things.

3. No. No, fee from us or issues doing so. Car would just need to be flashed to stock via ISTA or whatever other tools the MINI/service shop may be using.

4. Honestly, outside of DME removal and some complaints about what that entails I have heard ZERO complaints or problems from anyone who has gotten the flash done. Even I think that sounds like a disguised sales pitch but that is the truth.

5. The flash incorporates the factory JCW exhaust burble programming whether it started as an S or JCW.

6. Does the pump say 91 or 93? Whatever the pump says and what you use everyday would be the map you want to select. Always go lower if unsure as going higher and then running lower grade fuel just means the engine will have to work harder (and not achieve advertised power), create more heat, and ultimately end up causing issues.

Teh Pre-LCI S was a B46 and the JCW was a B48 but yes there are some differences between the engines. While we sell it under 1 SKU to make it easier to deal with on the accounting/tracking side there are 2 different calibration families depending on what the car identifies as, as to what is loaded/flashed. The X is certainly a solution you can use and is a much simpler/easier installation/removal with modest gains but I can gaurantee that you would be happier with the flash. Everyone always is -- even in spite of the extra effort of pulling the ECU, etc.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:46 PM
DeafRyan
Neutral
Smile

1. Up until we sold it a earlier this year our in house development Pre-LCI MCS had been running the max E85 file for 3 years with no issues. We did not treat it lightly either between numerous track days and every day hoonery. Frankly, the thing got abused and kept on ticking. I have heard nothing but positive things from the new owner as well. That's about as best a testimonial as I can give for reliability. The DPT X is a bit of a different animal since its retains the limitations from the factory floor unlike a flash. Generally speaking we try to maintain a 10-15% power padding from levels where a code would be triggered BUT not all cars are created equal and some may be running closer to the factory edge out of the gate. When you turn up boost and command a new voltage in those case it may then bring it past those acceptable parameters and trigger a code. I would say those have been extremely rare with the DPT X but it will never be zero just by the nature of the vehicels and how piggybacks work.

2. No. Automatic transmission is fine. Manual transmissions actually have more custom tuning involved then the automatics for safety since with the manual you can force the thing to do more questionable things.

3. No. No, fee from us or issues doing so. Car would just need to be flashed to stock via ISTA or whatever other tools the MINI/service shop may be using.

4. Honestly, outside of DME removal and some complaints about what that entails I have heard ZERO complaints or problems from anyone who has gotten the flash done. Even I think that sounds like a disguised sales pitch but that is the truth.

5. The flash incorporates the factory JCW exhaust burble programming whether it started as an S or JCW.

6. Does the pump say 91 or 93? Whatever the pump says and what you use everyday would be the map you want to select. Always go lower if unsure as going higher and then running lower grade fuel just means the engine will have to work harder (and not achieve advertised power), create more heat, and ultimately end up causing issues.

Teh Pre-LCI S was a B46 and the JCW was a B48 but yes there are some differences between the engines. While we sell it under 1 SKU to make it easier to deal with on the accounting/tracking side there are 2 different calibration families depending on what the car identifies as, as to what is loaded/flashed. The X is certainly a solution you can use and is a much simpler/easier installation/removal with modest gains but I can gaurantee that you would be happier with the flash. Everyone always is -- even in spite of the extra effort of pulling the ECU, etc.
WOW, thanks for getting back so soon. I am most likely going to go with the flash thanks to your help. Have a good day and I can't wait to get it on my mini. I would like to also state the costumer support is a huge reason that I will pick you guys compared to other flash/tuning companies. Thank you!

Old 03-18-2023, 02:15 PM
Helltime
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Any plans for flashing a LCI 2 car? I have a 2023 and I was just wondering if there was any flash tuning in the works for these as well?

Old 03-20-2023, 06:02 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by Helltime
Any plans for flashing a LCI 2 car? I have a 2023 and I was just wondering if there was any flash tuning in the works for these as well?
Eventually. LCI flashing is still being worked on currently (callibration done, delivery being worked on) so first things first.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:04 AM
F5666
2nd Gear
As I add more parts and work, will Dinan custom tune my car or modify the Stage 1 tune to include adjustments for the additional work done to the car?

Old 03-20-2023, 06:12 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
As I add more parts and work, will Dinan custom tune my car or modify the Stage 1 tune to include adjustments for the additional work done to the car?
We do not offer custom tuning unfortunately. Haven't for probably a little over a decade at this point. Ultimately, just don't have the bandwidth to offer the service while also doing everything else we are working on.

Old 03-23-2023, 02:27 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DeafRyan
WOW, thanks for getting back so soon. I am most likely going to go with the flash thanks to your help. Have a good day and I can't wait to get it on my mini. I would like to also state the costumer support is a huge reason that I will pick you guys compared to other flash/tuning companies. Thank you!
A comment on reliability: These engines seem to be pretty robust. I’ve been running a moderately aggressive “stage 1” tune on my B46 engine for five years or so. Never an issue. Dinan has a long track record of sane, safe tunes and modifications, so I think their tune here is very unlikely to cause any problems.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:34 AM
30 ounce
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just saw Dinan has a tune for the LCI version. Why does the LCI make less power? That is significant! Glad I have a 2016 and '17. 16 is Dinan tuned...time to do the 17.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:42 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by 30 ounce
Just saw Dinan has a tune for the LCI version. Why does the LCI make less power? That is significant! Glad I have a 2016 and '17. 16 is Dinan tuned...time to do the 17.
Difference is due to differing transmissions in the various test vehicles. The primary development LCI was a 7 speed DCT and not a manual or 8-speed auto (used both on the Pre-LCI). The 7-speed has a lower threshold before the trans starts slipping. When we get a manual in we could can revisit the files and offer a higher torque file for those transmissions but currently we are just being safe so the same file could accomodate all tranmission types without issue.

Last edited by Dinan Engineering; 04-13-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:34 PM
MotoringMiniac
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Difference is due to differing transmissions in the various test vehicles. The primary development LCI was a 7 speed DCT and not a manual or 8-speed auto (used both on the Pre-LCI). The 7-speed has a lower threshold before the trans starts slipping. When we get a manual in we could can revisit the files and offer a higher torque file for those transmissions but currently we are just being safe so the same file could accomodate all tranmission types without issue.
I'm excited to now see a Stage 1 software option for my LCI 2020 F54 Clubman S ALL4 on the Dinan website! I also took note of the decrease in power for LCI... Happy to see that question being addressed. However I still have an 8 speed automatic. With my F54 ALL4, 8 speed auto, is the higher torque file ready to go for my application? Can I expect the same numbers as the pre-LCI tune? I am looking at just the 91 octane tune, as that is the highest available at the pump in Utah.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:29 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by MotoringMiniac
I'm excited to now see a Stage 1 software option for my LCI 2020 F54 Clubman S ALL4 on the Dinan website! I also took note of the decrease in power for LCI... Happy to see that question being addressed. However I still have an 8 speed automatic. With my F54 ALL4, 8 speed auto, is the higher torque file ready to go for my application? Can I expect the same numbers as the pre-LCI tune? I am looking at just the 91 octane tune, as that is the highest available at the pump in Utah.
Current file is the only one available at present for any of the 3 transmission variants. Would need a manual or 8 speed (ideally a manual so additional nuance present within it can be addressed) in for a bit more prolonged development in order to offer an updated file that would take advantage of the higher thresholds with those transmissions. Thus far having volunteers willing to donate a vehicle for 2+ weeks has been a challenge to say the least (only being one model year doesn't help matters), hence releasing with only the low output file. It should be noted that when the software does get updated to support the higher output file it would be a free software update so you wouldn't always be "stuck" with the lower torque file. In regards to the actual numbers of a LCI high torque file --- remains to be seen how close they would be to the pre-LCI ones but we don't see why they would be drastically different at the end of the day. Again, would need a development vehicle to find out and to create the alternative mapping. If anyone with a 8AT or Manual 2020MY F54/F56/F60 S is in the Auburn, AL or surrounding couple hundred miles and is willing to donate their vehicle for 2 weeks or so they should reach out to developmentcars@dinancars.com with their VIN and contact information.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:00 AM
Tngo23
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got mine flashed from a 2018 HT JCW Vin : WMWXM9C59J2F66209......How would I know if it was flashed for 91 or 93 octane as I forgot to ask Seth, Salesperson thru email.

THX

Nvm.., The Engineer made a note taped to the DME,
it was flashed at 91 Octane

Last edited by Tngo23; 05-20-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:20 AM
F5666
2nd Gear
Since my Dinan 93 flash, I have added a lot of parts. Can I pay Dinan to custom tune the car based on my changes? (of course I would have the car delivered)

Old 05-20-2023, 05:32 PM
Tngo23
1st Gear
Since my Dinan 93 flash, I have added a lot of parts. Can I pay Dinan to custom tune the car based on my changes? (of course I would have the car delivered)
i read some where on this thread and a reply from Dinan Engineering that they don’t do custom tunes but never know, time may change as more ppl request them

Old 05-21-2023, 07:29 AM
Tngo23
1st Gear
As far as rev hang goes -- I don't recall an egregious rev-hang or anything but neither the main callibrator nor the car are here at present at the moment so can't give a direct answer to that. Perhaps one of the folks that have gotten the flash can chime in on their experience in that regard though. That said, I don't remember a rev-hang on the stock car either. Given, it has been a long time since I drove the stock car...

Short answer to the rest of the questions is "no." But probably not for the reason you think. It really comes down to emissions compliance / legality. Giving options means additional variations for testing with emissions whether they change anything or not. Then there are some of those that do (or can) change emissions testing like pops and bangs hence why we keep them at factory JCW levels (known to be approved coming from the factory). Bascially, options make for a slippery slope, and one that gets increasingly more expensive, so we try to build a tune that fits as big a swath of the market as we can while also being able to be 100% legal (emissions and otherwise).

I know its in the queue to do with the video guys but it has not been done yet. Just filmed the equivalent video on the BMW side last week so I imagine it won't be too much longer. That said though, there are a number of video tutorials on Youtube on how to remove a 3rd gen MINI DME that you could reference in the meantime. On a quick look -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENq7in1HX5I seems the most straight forward.
I watched the Dinan video but this video cut /saves time tremendously. Note: I took pics of every step so the reverse was very straightforward.

Take your time & it’s easy

Old 05-21-2023, 06:34 PM
Tngo23
1st Gear
After 1 day with the DME stage 1 “91” octane tune, I can say it’s a big difference from the stock JCW power/pull. As the car is driven more, I am sure the DME will be even better but the initials thoughts are Fantastic, the pulls are not jerky but smooth & linear in every gear of the 6sp.
so glad I added the forge short shifter a week ago. I have ordered the Dinan CAI but on back order per the status page. I also plan to add the Dinan Throttle booster after I receive the CAI. I bet the adjusts of the throttle response will make even better….

Will update after CAI & Throttle Booster.

Worth every penny for the tune & overnight delivery!

Dinan Engineering (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:11 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by Tngo23
i read some where on this thread and a reply from Dinan Engineering that they don’t do custom tunes but never know, time may change as more ppl request them
Do not do custom tunes unfortunately. Main reason is we don't have the manpower to support it but also most of the requests we would inevitably get for custom tunes would be features we won't integrate anyway. Clearing the CEL from a DP or simply just tuning for a DP as examples as it would open us up to legal funny business.

Originally Posted by Tngo23
After 1 day with the DME stage 1 “91” octane tune, I can say it’s a big difference from the stock JCW power/pull. As the car is driven more, I am sure the DME will be even better but the initials thoughts are Fantastic, the pulls are not jerky but smooth & linear in every gear of the 6sp.
so glad I added the forge short shifter a week ago. I have ordered the Dinan CAI but on back order per the status page. I also plan to add the Dinan Throttle booster after I receive the CAI. I bet the adjusts of the throttle response will make even better….

Will update after CAI & Throttle Booster.

Worth every penny for the tune & overnight delivery!
Glas you are enjoying it thus far!

Old 12-18-2023, 12:53 PM
schreiber117
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
@Dinan Engineering - any update on CARB cert? Your website still shows pending. ETA?

Old 12-21-2023, 07:14 AM
Girva
Neutral
Any 2021+ model year updates?

@Dinan Engineering - Just curious if there had been any progress on making this available for my 2021 Cooper S? In the past I have had a Dinan tune on my BMW 135i and M3. Both of them were fantastic and I am really hoping I can upgrade my Mini soon...???

Last edited by Girva; 12-21-2023 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Added @
Old 12-26-2023, 09:21 PM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by schreiber117
@Dinan Engineering - any update on CARB cert? Your website still shows pending. ETA?
ETA is unknown. As far as I am aware we are still waiting on a test letter from CARB requesting whatever specific variation of vehicle to do their testing. Its a super fun process. I have a wide array of comments I would interject here about the tribulations of the process but I will refrain. Lets just say it isn't the most transparent and fair process out there.

Originally Posted by Girva
@Dinan Engineering - Just curious if there had been any progress on making this available for my 2021 Cooper S? In the past I have had a Dinan tune on my BMW 135i and M3. Both of them were fantastic and I am really hoping I can upgrade my Mini soon...???
There has not. 21+ MY vehicles are still locked out and there is nothing on the immediate horizon. The tune itself will likely be nearly identical to the 20 MY but delivery is the issue. Continues to be worked on but as to when a breakthrough will occur is anyones guess.