Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ECU/Chip Tuning by GIAC (Garrett)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 08:07 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have sent emails to the various ECU/DME Software Tuning companies, and one the most promising responses I received was from GIAC...

Last week I got an email back from them saying that the programming for the MINI is in development and they will contact me as soon as it is available.

They do chip tuning for Audis, Porsches, and VWs, and have been doing engine management software for 12 years. They are currently expanding to do BMWs and MINI. Check out their site : http://www.giacusa.com/

Here's an excerpt from one of their VW software tuning descriptions:

Rev limit:
Set to 7900 RPM using factory Data Bytes (not just the increase obtained from extra fuel which only bumps it from 6800 to 7200, racing requires more), two stage limit removed. For those who don't know the 404H (CA, Bosch part number) computer well, it utilizes a timed rev limit. It cuts out if the motor is kept at a sustained ~5500 rpm or greater but below the 6800 rpm limit, bad for racing. Also this computer has a speed limiter, and it is removed.

Idle:
Reset to ~1000 rpm to pass emissions and help the radical cams idle.

Ignition timing changes:
Basic part throttle advance increase for better throttle response and fuel economy. Full throttle timing was carefully adjusted to values recommended by Techtonics Tuning. 25-26 deg. total advance and this turned out to be the best on the track. These values gave me the best MPH. Timing is an area where too much can be disastrous, the knock sensors kick in and the car runs worse than the stock chip. If you purchase a chip or make one, be sure that it does not over advance the ignition, it is hard to feel. The 16V motor does not like too much timing. See for yourself, on the track, but be sure to run the stock chip first.

Fuel Timing changes:
This is the area requiring the most work. The 16V 2.0 L & 1.8 L both like a lot more fuel than stock at high rpm. The factory 2.0 L Motronic enrichment only gives 6-7 mA at the fuel distributor differential pressure regulator. According to Darrell, they found 20-21 mA works best for the 1.8 L CIS motor on the Dyno. Well, 21 mA was the magic number for my 16V 2.0 L Motronic motor. This gave me the best ET and MPH. But I had a dilemma, 21 mA was too much fuel for low rpm. Torque was gone. The Motronic full throttle enrichment gives basically one value (although it does go a little lean in the middle then lean again up top) at the distributor for all RPM. I guess the factory thinks the fuel distributor takes care of RPM changes. So, I had to change how the chip program handled enrichment. This required very unconventional changes to the EPROM. Changes to the program were required, not just table value changes (which is what most programmers do for this chip). Not an a simple task.

Creating this GIAC only special program:
After disassembling 8051 micro controller code (this is like the 486 microprocessor chip in a PC) from the chip onboard the 404H computer. We read in 8051 assembly language what the computer was doing when it received various inputs (ie. temp, throttle switches, RPM etc.). Then we located the memory address where the output value to the differential pressure regulator was stored. We integrated it into the full throttle ignition timing routine. We chose this routine because it maps table values (or maps as some call them) against RPM, under full throttle. This works VERY well. With this setup we kept factory enrichment at low RPM and ramped to 21 mA at high RPM. We retained/improved torque and improved horsepower. My 16V drag race car's 60 ft times improved with this setup, down to 2.1-2.2 sec. on street tires.

------------------------------------

If they can do all this for the MINI, then this is what we are all looking for!

Old 12-06-2002, 08:37 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Yup. That's exactly what I'm waiting for.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:57 AM
bmarvin81
3rd Gear
They chipped my stage 3 audi a4 and it was sick! Can't wait till they release the cooper chip. Also if you check out thier site, they have a remote, that allows you to change from 4 or 5 different modes (valet, race, normal, ect) A budy of mine had that added to his s4 recently. Cant wait!

Old 12-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Daron
2nd Gear
>>They chipped my stage 3 audi a4 and it was sick! Can't wait till they release the cooper chip. Also if you check out thier site, they have a remote, that allows you to change from 4 or 5 different modes (valet, race, normal, ect) A budy of mine had that added to his s4 recently. Cant wait!>>

The "multi-chip" arrangements are nice, and have been around for various applications for years. For instance, my Typhoon has a 8 in 1 chip. You can select from a "security" mode (wont run) to the other extreme, 18 PSI of boost and aggressive timing (race gas setting).
My Syclone has a 16 in 1 chip. I burn my own calibrations and pack the chip with 16 different programs so I can step thru the various programs to see which one is best.
If we could get this setup for the Seimens ECU, well that would be fantastic...

Old 12-06-2002, 11:20 AM
2minis
6th Gear
These chips are making me hungry......

Old 12-06-2002, 11:27 AM
bmarvin81
3rd Gear
Hey Daron,

Nice trucks. Most people have no idea how ungodly fast they are. I bet you have a field day street racing honda and other ricers.

Blake

Old 12-06-2002, 11:35 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>These chips are making me hungry......

Hungry for more speed, eh?

Old 12-06-2002, 12:48 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
>>Hey Daron,
>>
>>Nice trucks. Most people have no idea how ungodly fast they are. I bet you have a field day street racing honda and other ricers.
>>
>>Blake

Ricers? He probably doesn't bother. I had a friend get his chipped 89 5.0 Mustang's butt kicked by a Cyclone! They're beyond ricer competition.

Old 12-06-2002, 12:49 PM
Daron
2nd Gear
>>Hey Daron,
>>
>>Nice trucks. Most people have no idea how ungodly fast they are. I bet you have a field day street racing honda and other ricers.
>>
>>Blake

Thank you Blake.
Yes they are both much fun. The Syclone runs 12.4 @ 106 in the quarter, and can handle corners pretty well to boot. Racing anyone is fun as they never expect the AWD launch or the power a turbocharged V-6 can dish out. I dont pay too much attention to most ricers, but the Mustang and Camaro peeps usually pull away from the stoplight wondering what the hell is up with the little black truck....

Old 12-06-2002, 12:51 PM
2minis
6th Gear
"Did you just double dip that chip?"

An X post reference again.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:40 PM
bmarvin81
3rd Gear
Daron,

Glad to hear you are having fun teaching everyone a lesson. Reason I mention the ricers is I used to have a 65 mustang with over 300hp and for some reason every civic or integra that pulled up next to me wanted to race. Lets just say there is nothing like dumping the clutch with a car that is running straight headers with 300+hp. Talk about blowing thier doors off, literally. Man do I miss that car. Keep up the good work on reminding us all there is some serious fun to be had by stop light to stop light racing or tearing some serious *** in the quartermile. But I would have to say the audi a4 I bought after my mustang reminded me that the twisties are equally as fun. Now I just need to get enough money to have both.

Old 12-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Mardav
2nd Gear
>>Daron,
>>
>>Glad to hear you are having fun teaching everyone a lesson. Reason I mention the ricers is I used to have a 65 mustang with over 300hp and for some reason every civic or integra that pulled up next to me wanted to race. Lets just say there is nothing like dumping the clutch with a car that is running straight headers with 300+hp. Talk about blowing thier doors off, literally. Man do I miss that car. Keep up the good work on reminding us all there is some serious fun to be had by stop light to stop light racing or tearing some serious *** in the quartermile. But I would have to say the audi a4 I bought after my mustang reminded me that the twisties are equally as fun. Now I just need to get enough money to have both.
Daron,
let me know when you're in Orlando, I've got a '65 Mustang convertible with original 289 that's been modded slightly (screw-in studs, Comp cam .490 lift, small holley, .030 over, 12-1 compression, Weiand stealth intake, roller rockers, Art Carr 9" 2400 rpm stall converter, MSD distributor and box, B&M tricked up trany, 3.55 posi, etc. Looks stock, runs mid 12s with street tires w/o bleach, A real ricer surprise!

Old 12-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Daron
2nd Gear
>>>>Daron,
>>>>
>>>>Glad to hear you are having fun teaching everyone a lesson. Reason I mention the ricers is I used to have a 65 mustang with over 300hp and for some reason every civic or integra that pulled up next to me wanted to race. Lets just say there is nothing like dumping the clutch with a car that is running straight headers with 300+hp. Talk about blowing thier doors off, literally. Man do I miss that car. Keep up the good work on reminding us all there is some serious fun to be had by stop light to stop light racing or tearing some serious *** in the quartermile. But I would have to say the audi a4 I bought after my mustang reminded me that the twisties are equally as fun. Now I just need to get enough money to have both.
>>Daron,
>>let me know when you're in Orlando, I've got a '65 Mustang convertible with original 289 that's been modded slightly (screw-in studs, Comp cam .490 lift, small holley, .030 over, 12-1 compression, Weiand stealth intake, roller rockers, Art Carr 9" 2400 rpm stall converter, MSD distributor and box, B&M tricked up trany, 3.55 posi, etc. Looks stock, runs mid 12s with street tires w/o bleach, A real ricer surprise!

Wow, the 65 stang sounds sweet, I have always wanted an old fastback. I would love to check yours out, but trips to Florida are rare. I appologize for hijacking this topic with talk of my trucks. They are fun, but the Mini is much fun too. I am hoping we as a community demand more options from vendors in the ECU/Chip tuning arenas. My MCS wants to run....