Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What's your winter project?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:54 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Your money is better spent on a BBK and an LSD than NO2 on the Dragon and Track. My $0.02

edit - no offense whatsoever Sid; I'm sure the NO2 kit will be awesome for straight line fun! Just trying to be holistic.
None taken Ryan. Just wonder why you never have anything nice to say about my Mini

Thanks for the great information as usual. However, remember that I'll with Mrs Sid, who will NOT enjoy more than a few dozen hard turns before she redecorates my interior I assure you that we will not be in hot pursuit of you "Big Dogs" As for N2O, I understand that not everyone approves. Especially zee elitests crowd. I don't really care. I'm not building a race car so go ahead and poo poo my efforts It's my Mini and ya can't change that

Old 12-17-2004, 06:03 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Gotcha I plan on removing the whole bottle platform if/when I put Msfit on the track. Unless you count "Dragon" as a track
You should run one on the street, its for your own good. If your burst disc bursts it going to fill your car up with sulfur, maybe blow out your windows, maybe injure you.

--
Cheese

Old 12-17-2004, 06:10 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by macncheese
You should run one on the street, its for your own good. If your burst disc bursts it going to fill your car up with sulfur, maybe blow out your windows, maybe injure you.

--
Cheese
Mac, can you be more specific? What do you mean "run one on the street"? Are you talking about mounting my bottle outside just to be safe??

Old 12-17-2004, 06:56 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Springtime will center on... a rear adjustable swaybar.
Man, I would do the swaybar first. They are cheap and easy to install, and probably the best bang for your buck after the pulley.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:09 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
COOOOOOOOOL!!!

Laughing gas rules.

Have fun with your button of fun.

I would've put mine on the toggle switch panel though... I'd label it

"hard nipples"

Old 12-17-2004, 07:24 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
In the spirit of the thread's title, here we go. Humor me by reading along.

The MINI might get a "smaller" BBK up front a la Wilwood or TCE. Doubtful, but I dare to dream.

Other project: my '73 BMW 2002. Finished the "fun" stuff a couple winters ago (high compression motor, Schrick cam and HD valve springs, dual Weber 40DCOEs, 5-speed, and LSD, big brakes, big bars, H&R springs, and Bilstein HDs...plus other assorted goodies). Now it's time to tackle the smooshed nose panel (read: weld in a good used one after cutting out the trashed nose panel) and weld up some small rust holes after replacing doors and fenders.

Good old fashioned proper European rust and metal extravaganza.

Thanks for listening.

M

Old 12-17-2004, 08:02 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MartyR
In the spirit of the thread's title, here we go. Humor me by reading along.

The MINI might get a "smaller" BBK up front a la Wilwood or TCE. Doubtful, but I dare to dream.

Other project: my '73 BMW 2002. Finished the "fun" stuff a couple winters ago (high compression motor, Schrick cam and HD valve springs, dual Weber 40DCOEs, 5-speed, and LSD, big brakes, big bars, H&R springs, and Bilstein HDs...plus other assorted goodies). Now it's time to tackle the smooshed nose panel (read: weld in a good used one after cutting out the trashed nose panel) and weld up some small rust holes after replacing doors and fenders.

Good old fashioned proper European rust and metal extravaganza.

Thanks for listening.

M
That's the spirit It's all about having fun isn't it

Old 12-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
None taken Ryan. Just wonder why you never have anything nice to say about my Mini
I apologize if I came off that way - your MINI does Rock, looks awesome, and after this Nitrous install, will no doubt kick my MINI's butt in a drag

Old 12-17-2004, 09:27 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
That's the spirit It's all about having fun isn't it
You said "fun." I'll have to remember that on a cold night when I'm out there losing fingers to the sawzall!

BTW that nitrous looks sinful.

Marty

Old 12-17-2004, 10:05 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MartyR
You said "fun." I'll have to remember that on a cold night when I'm out there losing fingers to the sawzall!

BTW that nitrous looks sinful.

Marty
That's the masocist's way A "Hot Dawg" garage furnace is a must for the Midwest winters

And thanks Ryan I'm going to enlarge your compliment and mount it on my garage wall See...that wasn't so hard was it?

The wiring is a mess right now but I will post more images as it gets cleaned up. I'm surprised that Peter was the only one to ask about the mystery black box

Old 12-17-2004, 01:13 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to defend Misfitoy's mini, Like I really have to , it was his mcs that inspired me most when I first came to this site. Still my favorite!

Old 12-17-2004, 01:48 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by onasled
Just to defend Misfitoy's mini, Like I really have to , it was his mcs that inspired me most when I first came to this site. Still my favorite!
Thanks, Onasled I see you've been busy (checked out your Mini) According to your mod list, you've damn near surpassed me Well...you probably have more power (not counting my NO2). Keep up the good work

BTW, your dyno image showed 214hp. You mentioned that it is at the crank. How did they adjust the display to show "crank" hp?

Old 12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Yeah, I love the look of MSFTOY's Mini. It is great to see how it has evolved over the the few years on this board. A really sharp Mini. Besides anyone who is driving fast enough to fry a set of brakes in 4 miles on the Dragon, is driving way beyond the speed limits of the Dragon. Enough people die on that road, that other people should be careful. It is sad when the moderators on this board talk about "excessive speeding" when they prohibit others on this board from talking about it. At my young age I have had far too many friends die from other's excessive speeding. Two weeks ago I had a close collegue of mine die in a car accident with her boyfriend because of other people speeding on curvy roads. She was only 24 years old. I have driven the Dragon more times than many people on this board, and a slightly modified stock brake setup will do just fine for a spirited run, while still keeping it well within safe limits.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
dgszweda1 - sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Just keep in mind that speed isn't the danger, but the loose nut behind the wheel

Old 12-17-2004, 05:17 PM
CCM
4th Gear
Thanks for the advice CCM. I thought about fabricating a filter to place over the LEDs at night. How is your Mini holding up with NO2?
Holding up very well, thank you! Taking names and kicking ***. I pull the inline fuse when I have the bottle out and that kills the flashing lights. When I'm lazy I stick a peice of Burger King napkin over it.

I wouldn't do a big brake kit. Too much weight, rotational mass and decreased hp/acceleration. We're hp and torque challenged enuff as it is.
I have crossed drilled rotors with Ferodo track pads. I'm hitting 118-120 mph on the main straight at Lime Rock, braking late and still making it through Big Bend in the 60 mph range. The only car that's outbraked me on that track was an Elise. Can't see the need to go for those big buggers up front. On the other hand, if my twincharge plan goes as planned I may be begging for the big brakes this Spring.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Better braking as in a kit doesn't have to mean added weight though. The WW race kit saved me 5.5 lbs per front wheel, 1.5 of that being the rotor (rotating mass). Oh, and repetitive braking is much improved . Todd at TCE hooked me up, and I highly recommend him...

Old 12-17-2004, 06:35 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
bbk on a diet

Tony, that big brake kit sounds like my thing. Talk to me man, where to get them and how much did they run you? I wonder if they would fit with my 17" kosei k1 wheels. Thanx.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
They fit my 16's . I believe I spent less than 1k! The kit just became available a couple of months ago, and I jumped on it before available...

Here's a thread here with some info:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=11.75

Again, I'd PM Todd as he was a huge help in not only my decision process, but with the install (I did them myself)...

Old 12-17-2004, 07:09 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
More than one option here. Just depends on your need, wants, and wheel fit.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:53 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Mac, can you be more specific? What do you mean "run one on the street"? Are you talking about mounting my bottle outside just to be safe??
Sorry, I'll elaborate. Nitrous bottles have a safety feature called a burst disc. When pressure starts to go up too high (broken bottle heater, left in the sun, etc) this disc fails at a specific pressure, preventing the bottle from failing (becoming a projectile). If the nitrous is mounted in the trunk of a car or a truck bed, it doesnt matter because their arent any passengers that will inhale the sulfur(not good for you) laced nitrous. They do this so that people can't buy the much more easily obtainable welding grade nitrous and use it as a narcotic... Just like the ethanol/methanol mixes I guess.
With a hatchback, the only place to mount the bottle is in the passenger cabin. What a blowdown tube does is route the gas that escaped through the bursted disc outside the vehicle. I'm sure the odds of a disaster are very high but its a pretty inexpensive part for the peace of mind.

Old 12-18-2004, 04:46 AM
jlm
6th Gear
I've had the Tarox big brakes on front and rear for almost 2 years, no probs. My 16 x7 (no spacers) and 16x6.5 (with 1/4" spacers for the front) fit fine.

is anyone else running them front and rear?

Last edited by jlm; 12-18-2004 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:41 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by macncheese
What a blowdown tube does is route the gas that escaped through the bursted disc outside the vehicle. I'm sure the odds of a disaster are very high but its a pretty inexpensive part for the peace of mind.
Thanks for the safety tip Macncheese But where/who has this item for Venom. Would a similar part (blowdown tube) from another manufactuer work also? I was thinking of including a purge valve but don't think Venom has one.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:12 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Thanks for the safety tip Macncheese But where/who has this item for Venom. Would a similar part (blowdown tube) from another manufactuer work also? I was thinking of including a purge valve but don't think Venom has one.

hey Sid ......

call me for purge valve...got a solution

peter
Team M7
562-712-3270

www.m7tuning.com

Old 12-18-2004, 03:18 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by M7
hey Sid ......

call me for purge valve...got a solution

peter
Team M7
562-712-3270

www.m7tuning.com
Hi Peter,

I gotta head out the door but will call you on road. BTW, your 400cc injectors made a noticable throttle response. Usually, when I first fire up the Mini and step on the gas, it goes dead for a split second then rev...."bwwaaumm...vrroooommmm". Now it just goes VROOOM! I like that It idles nicely too.

Got all the wiring done and tidied up Had to remove the parcel shelf and replace it with the stock one so I can mount a gang of illuminated switches. You'll see One of them is a power switch to the Venom so they're not flashing at me all the time when I'm not ready to use it. Next...route the NO2 line under the Mini and finish uphostering the bottle base. I'll post images tomorrow

PS...I'm thinking of hooking up the purge to the Alta spray head as not to waste any precious gas. What do you think:smile:

Old 12-18-2004, 03:49 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Putting this on my car this weekend. A complete TCE system via Randy Webb. So far, so good. Should have it all on tomorrow and I will post a thread about them. I am using 17 Kosies and will need front spacers when I use my factory S lites. Can't go any smaller then that I believe in the fronts. Not sure what the larger rear disk will take.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain What's your winter project?