Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NM Engineering Intake/Inlet Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:03 PM
my_wifes_mini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
NM Engineering Intake/Inlet Questions

I've got a torn/failing turbo inlet pipe, right at the turbo clamp. Im going to take advantage of this opportunity to add a new intake, but I have a few questions.

I'm looking to get the NM Engineering, linked below. Eventually, I'd like to add a tune, like the Manic or NM Engineering tune, stage 1, maybe stage 2 down the line with all that entails.

My question is this, will I have any check engine lights with this intake, and eventually silicon turbo pipes, FMIC, and bigger DP w/ cat, etc?

Also, on the turbo inlet pipe in my car, there are 3 sensors, 1) the MAF up by the airbox 2) something on the PCV vent pipe 3) unknown sensor about halfway down the tube. On the NM intake I see the connections for the MAF and the PCV, but nothing for this third sensor? What is it for? Am I missing something?

Anything else I should know about before getting started?

http://www.nm-eng.com/291/11/0/2604/...ction-kit.html

Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The US version provides a provision for the smaller PCV vent, the one half way down.

It shouldn't trigger any codes and comes with the resistors to prevent the PCV heater circuit code for when they're unplugged.

The following 2 users liked this post by Claviger:
ECSTuning (02-13-2019), my_wifes_mini (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes you get a check engine light when you remove the stock tube and don't have those sensors plugged in. That is why the NM and other intakes for the N18 don't come with that tube.

I'd suggest just putting a new stock tube on and keeping it simple with no worry of a light.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-mi...9-r60-r61.html

Then if you want an intake you can add it, but most intakes actually just loose you torque sucking all the hot engine air. So I'd say go cheap as they all sound the same.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...et-intake.html

If you want something fancy we like the AEM intake with the duct
https://www.waymotorworks.com/aem-co...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
my_wifes_mini (01-22-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 PM
my_wifes_mini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've installed the NM engineering Intake and Inlet and I have a few questions...

The vacuum (or vent?) tube that goes back through the firewall seems to be shaped a little funny to fit the bracket well as it passes by the ECU. It is angled up against that silver mounting plate which is a little sharp. Ive put some gorilla tape on there for now so the sharp edge isnt so harsh against that rubber hose. Anyone else have trouble with this? Im suspicious that this tube was replaced by my auto shop when doing something major like the thermostat. It appears to be much newer that the other tubes around it.

Also, there was a Y coupler on the NM Inlet with the PCV tube. On my motor this was not included on the original intake. What should i plug into that tube? Ive got some tape over it now... just put a cap on it? You can see a stock picture of the intake above and the nm intake below. THANKS!