Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Madness IC Diverter

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Camden88
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Madness IC Diverter

Hello all,
I wanted to get a discussion going on this because I've been thinking of an IC upgrade. I stumbled upon the Madness MINI IC Diverter and thought, why not? My searches keep bringing up the R53 air diverter and and it seems like it has a decent affect on the R53 MCS, but the R56 diverter looks like it could be underdog that could get people interested. For the R56 it seems a lot of people either grab an eBay IC or drop the money on a name brand one, but the tables have turned and the eBay IC's are either the same or more than the name brands (I know the NAM marketplace is a great place to pick up a nice IC for a great price). To get to the point, what's the matter with running a diverter on the R56? Madness makes a decently valid point that the front bumper blocks the bottom portion of the stock IC and their diverter makes the entire face of the IC usable. On the other hand a larger IC does the same job, with a lot more of that surface area being IC material and not just a metal funnel. There is also the option to install Mitsu Evo 4 water sprayers to increase cooling benefit (you would have to buy them separate). The diverter itself is $100, Forge IC is $690, Helix is $620, and Wagner is $590 (prices are brand new and depending on where you buy they might be different). eBay Forge IC ranges from $300 - $700 and the eBay Helix is the cheapest at $170. So, would you guys run an AP Stage 1 FMIC tune with the diverter, or just spring for the larger IC? Is there a situation where you would feel comfortable running the diverter as a cheaper in between to having a stock IC and a larger IC? Thanks in advance for any feedback, and let's have fun with this.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I wouldn't invest the money in the diverter as it is better put into the bigger intercooler. Plus you could likely make something pretty cheap to do the same thing if you wanted some kind of diverter. We've made a few, but just never saw enough real gains to validate selling it. Put the money in a Forge intercooler as you will actually see the gains. There are many options and I even offer several, but have found I like the Forge the best for fit and actual function as I use it on my my JCW R55 and my GP and have logged the temps to know it is actually working.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
Camden88 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Camden88
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input, I dig it! I had a feeling that would be the case with this. This is my second FI car and the first I've been wanting to upgrade and am still learning. I figured with the design of the R53 IC and the use of a diverter, using one on the R56 would be something worth looking into, even if it were for a half step between the stock IC and a larger aftermarket IC. It seems like my original thought was spot on that it would be best to have that extra material be IC surface rather than metal funnel.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:59 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hello there.
I know the topic is old but i have some questions for this product.

1.Fit with aftermarket IC(Wagner)?
2.Fits with Aerokit?
3.What triggers the jets to spray when needed?
4.How you supply water(or anything) to the jets? Tank?
5.Will i be able to find some aftermarket jets?

@WayMotorWorks ???

Old 04-27-2022, 01:54 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
A simple and inexpensive solution if you don't mind losing the windshield washer is get a pneumatic pressure switch, plumb it to the intake via a boost tap and add a relay to run the washer pump. Use black tie wraps to attach the spray line to the back of the grill in front of the IC. A little searching will pull up lots of options including adjustable ones for the pressure switch.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-06-2022, 12:02 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
A simple and inexpensive solution if you don't mind losing the windshield washer is get a pneumatic pressure switch, plumb it to the intake via a boost tap and add a relay to run the washer pump. Use black tie wraps to attach the spray line to the back of the grill in front of the IC. A little searching will pull up lots of options including adjustable ones for the pressure switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Cooli.../dp/B07MJ13DRW
Hey brother thank you for reaching me:D

The hardware is "easy" however
1.how we let the jets know when they have to spray (according temps)
2.My windshield tank ir already off and i will use a smaller one for windshield
3.Will that jets on IC will make a big impact on the car or just to much pain for almost no gain?