Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain As anyone actually verified ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:07 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
As anyone actually verified ?

NOTE: if you have thin skin, don't read this.

I got thinking today while I was installing a poor fitting, but expensive aftermarket steering wheel adapter into my 05, JCW.

Yesterday, I drilled and taped a location in the inter-cooler "outlet" tube for a boost gauge takeoff location.
The reason I put it there, is because that location will provide (nearly) the most accurate location for vacuum and pressure, (other than maybe somewhere in the intake manifold). I put it there because it was as close to the manifold as I could get it AND could catch the chips without spending hours taking everything apart. It's a MUCH more accurate location than the little black tube on the right side of the engine that many seem to use. Just like checking running fuel pressure...you don't check it at the pump, you check it as close to the outlet as possible, for the most accurate reading anyway.

So, to my question -
Any of you that have installed a larger/"better" inter-cooler, has anyone actually verified pre-cooler temperature vs. after-cooler temperature with the OEM (or JCW cooler), and/or again after the installation of the "better"/larger inter-cooler ? There's a few inexpensive ways of doing this and being somewhat accurate.
Or dare I say, it was done because the seller/dealer/shop said it worked better?

Just curious.

Mike

Old 09-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
From posts here and elsewhere on the web the stock intercooler is the best and least expensive cooler out there. Most of the "oversized" you see out there are really not that good unless you spend the money for a GP unit.

I spent a fair amount of time reviewing manifold temperature posts when I was thinking about going with a 19% pulley ratio. I logged temps before and after installation. I also installed an Ultragauge so I could see the manifold temps (post supercharger) after I went with the 19% and installed a Meth Injection system. At highway speed the temps are not much higher than ambient, it is when you are stopped at a light or in traffic that you will see a 50 degree rise. Under boost you also see a 20 to 30 degree rise with even higher temperatures as you change pulleys.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Good info, thank you.
Great to see a little bit "real world" work, not, "just because they said so" swaps.

Any other verification work out there ?

Mike

Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Before asking if anyone has verified the improved or retarded performance of A, B, or C vs the OE ones you should try read up on what others has attempt to quantify the differences. Many lifetime of time has been spent on this seeming simple question, which is very complex due to countless of variables that are difficult to control. There is not one question, but countless number depends on where the performance region is important to you.

BTW, for me the accurate of the absolute boost pressure is hardly of any interest. Relative pressure - yes, which tells me if something change or about to go kaputt.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Funny..!

Mike