Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain High performance heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:40 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High performance heads

Has anyone put on an aftermarket head? which one and what was your results.......do you recommend, never mind the money?

Old 11-13-2004, 07:17 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Spider,

Many people have put on aftermarket heads, and have gained HP. It is a proven gain by all vendors across the board. There are many options when it comes to cylinder heads depending on what your needs are with Larger Valves, and Lighter Retainers. Our lowest version has shown a good improvement over stock.

You can see the different setups here. But these can be changed around to suit your needs.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Rondor
1st Gear
I suggest you call Steve's Auto Clinic @ 818-891-6109. I have seen almost every head and his is the best. He ports and polishes both intake and exhaust and the quality it better than any I have seen. Also, the price is VERY for what you get.

Tell him Chris Bryer sent you.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Rondor: looks alone don't make power.

Let's compare headwork with flowcharts

Old 11-13-2004, 10:41 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by Ryephile

I have steve's head... my butt dyno knows....

btw... my 60-80mph 3rd gear run on was 3.2 sec with that head
2.8 with the NITROUS.... VENOM power!!!

Old 11-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Bisch
6th Gear

My car looks faster than yours!

Old 11-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Rondor
1st Gear
Youre right looks alone dont make power. However, the trash headwork almost all companies send thier customers are a joke. Take Mini Mania's, for instance. Utter junk.

I will put Steve's head up against any out there for price and flow.

I havent seen Pilo's head so I am in NO WAY referring to his.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:05 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Does the JCW head count?

Originally Posted by SpiderX
Has anyone put on an aftermarket head? which one and what was your results.......do you recommend, never mind the money?
I have the JCW head... does that count? Given that the pulley reduction on the JCW is under 14% and it's still able to create ~200hp with only exhaust and ECU, seems like they did a pretty good job on the head...

Old 11-13-2004, 05:22 PM
AlexN
3rd Gear
How about ENDYN (TheOldOne)?

Alex

Old 11-13-2004, 05:28 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rondor
Youre right looks alone dont make power. However, the trash headwork almost all companies send thier customers are a joke. Take Mini Mania's, for instance. Utter junk.

I will put Steve's head up against any out there for price and flow.

I havent seen Pilo's head so I am in NO WAY referring to his.
Thanks for the implication correction If you guy's want to check out DPR Heads (the people that do our stuff) Check them out at www.dprracing.com Call them up, and see what type of work they do. We are the only retailer for them, and we sell at a discount to what DPR would normally charge. We are also working on porting intake manifold, throttle body, and some other things..

Old 11-14-2004, 06:30 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniPilo
Spider,

Many people have put on aftermarket heads, and have gained HP. It is a proven gain by all vendors across the board. There are many options when it comes to cylinder heads depending on what your needs are with Larger Valves, and Lighter Retainers. Our lowest version has shown a good improvement over stock.

You can see the different setups here. But these can be changed around to suit your needs.
Hi Dan,

I went to your website and found your head upgrade with 13 HP if I add a cam can you please privately email me the cost and performance expectation.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 11-14-2004, 07:42 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
You Got Mail

Old 11-14-2004, 09:15 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by XAlfa
I have the JCW head... does that count? Given that the pulley reduction on the JCW is under 14% and it's still able to create ~200hp with only exhaust and ECU, seems like they did a pretty good job on the head...
If you have seen the JCW head off the car you will know it is NOT the head that is making the HP. We have had a JCW head around for display and anyone that has seen it has been as suprised at the lack of work as we were. One set of ports mildly CNC'd for polish and hardley ported is not at all impressive especially when you consider the cost of it. As for making 200 hp with a JCW that remains to be seen as many on here have posted numbers to the contrary. Now before everyone gets up in arms please take a look at that head OFF the car and tell me you don't agree.

Randy
Team M7

Old 11-15-2004, 06:16 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by maxmini
If you have seen the JCW head off the car you will know it is NOT the head that is making the HP. We have had a JCW head around for display and anyone that has seen it has been as suprised at the lack of work as we were. One set of ports mildly CNC'd for polish and hardley ported is not at all impressive especially when you consider the cost of it. As for making 200 hp with a JCW that remains to be seen as many on here have posted numbers to the contrary. Now before everyone gets up in arms please take a look at that head OFF the car and tell me you don't agree.

Randy
Team M7
There you go throwing LOGIC into an emotional discussion.... foul..... please take a seat on the bench.....

Old 11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sorry I won't let it happen again BTW you have seen the JCW head in question haven't you ?

Randy
Team M7
www.m7tuning.com

Old 11-15-2004, 08:52 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
I'm sorry I won't let it happen again BTW you have seen the JCW head in question haven't you ?

Randy
Team M7
www.m7tuning.com
yes, it is amazing they can get away with charging what they do....

Old 11-16-2004, 05:06 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have seen the JCW head off the car you will know it is NOT the head that is making the HP.
IMO, the JCW head is only included in the kit to HELP justify the outrageous cost. Otherwise, NO ONE would pay more than $3k for an ECU, pulley and exhaust. The head helps them charge $6k. :smile:

Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 AM
jlm
6th Gear
what's this jive about the '05 JCW kit including a larger blower?

Old 11-16-2004, 05:43 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by jlm
what's this jive about the '05 JCW kit including a larger blower?
I believe the "larger blower" is the service manager blowing smoke up someones backside.....

Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Hey, this must be the "Let's bash JCW" thread!" I was looking for this thread. And it even includes the same people on the other threads that turns into the "Bash JCW".

I think we all know that you guys don't like the JCW kit and think it is overpriced, and that you like your 19% pulleys and other items. That is fine and that is your opinion. But it does get a little tiring. Especially when it is the same argument. It is overpriced.... It doesn't have the very fastest part, the loudest exhaust.... The people who bought the JCW kit already know this. The purpose of the kit is not to be the "..est" of everything. I think a lot of people don't understand the purpose of this kit. The new M-5 is great, but it doesn't have the fastest parts or loudest exhaust, or largest brakes.... But the people aren't buying the M-5's, M-3's, AMG kits to be the fast 5-series, 3-series or Mercedes on the face of this planet. If you guys are going for the extreme. Great, more power for you and I support you, but give the JCW bashing a rest already. I think it is cool when people are pushing 250hp or more, with twincharged kits and even 21% pulleys, but it is not what everyone wants. The JCW has some things that no one else offers and those are the reasons that people are interested in this kit. So far JCW has sold $20 million of these kits in 18 months, so there is a lot of interest. And despite what many people think we are educated and know exactly what we are buying. We know the pro's and con's and are buying them for those reasons. Everyone has to realize that the JCW kit is a kit of compromise just like every factory kit. And sometimes it is these compromises that make them attractive to certain individuals.

I personally drive 150 miles a day and want an upgrade path that I have more confidence in. I like the extra power, but also realize that this is my high mileage daily driver and can't afford to be without a car. I personally don't want to absorb the risk. There are some on this board you enjoy pushing the envelope and for whatever reason are willing to shoulder some of the risk. Kudo's to you guys. I love listening to your stories and the cool parts that you guys have. Just realize it is not for everyone, and that sometimes people feel that the attacks that people make regarding other choices are still valid. That is what makes us a good community.

So come on guys give us a break, and instead of always resorting to bash JCW, let's turn it into constructive discussion and realize that you don't have to justify why you purchased what you did, to the rest of the world and rip on everyone else who decided to go this route.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2004, 06:43 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
while I can understand your reasoning there are some glaring problems

they market the kit as 210hp... or at least they used to (who would honestly pay that much if they knew the true hp?) especially when they can get the same hp for about 1800?
people don't know exactly what they are buying (one guy on thread was told they put a BIGGER supercharger on it)
I have no problem with people spending money but they should be aware of what they are getting for their money.

My experiences with the dealer lead me to believe they know very little about our cars

Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
El,

I think it just depends on who you talk to. The bigger supercharger is a statement that has been floating out there for years. I can show you Car and Driver's, Road and Track's, and EVO magazines indicating larger superchargers. I have no idea where this came from. It is obviously false, but has been reported by the mainstream press for some time as fact. Some dealerships do not know what they are doing. I agree with you. But some do, and take there cars seriously. This is the same for tuning shops as well. If you visit John Cooper Works Garage, you would really see some dedicated and knowledgeable folks.

Again, you are only looking at the JCW kit as only a hp item. And that you can exceed that. Which I have no doubt you can. The JCW kit is partially about hp, it is also about feel, warranty, pedigree, return on investment, stability....... There are so many things. It is also true that there are some out there showing low numbers. There are also some out there showing great numbers. I am not going to get into an argument over power or whether you can beat the kit in hp, since that is really not the only purpose of the JCW kit. I think it has been beaten to death that you can get more power for cheaper.

I really don't see your issues as glaring problems. Just concerns that you have and the need to tear the kit apart because it doesn't produce the most hp possible for the cheapest price.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:07 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
glaring to me is when someone tells me one thing "like 210hp" and it is really around 190hp

dealer telling me V39 won't affect my car... now it stumbles and bogs

and the thread was about HIGH PERFORMANCE HEADS..... LOL

I wouldn't classify the JCW as High Performance... jmho

it's ok that we can agree to disagree

Old 11-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Everyone is free to have an opinion. I myself find it hard to justify the ticket price for the JCW aftermarket package.

Just Cash Walking

Old 11-16-2004, 08:29 AM
astrochex
6th Gear

Even then, its not just flow but the quality of the flow.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain High performance heads