Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Akrapovic down pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akrapovic down pipe installed

I installed my new Akrapovic DP this weekend and thought I would post up my initial impressions. The build quality is very nice, it has a 1/4 inch mounting flange to turbo, piping is 2 1/2 inch, 100 cel cat, uses all factory mounting points. Included with the DP was an install instructions booklet and a tube of anticease. The instructions left out a few things like removing the lower heat shield and the bottom bolts on the upper shield. This was a direct bolt on DP, I still have the factory cat back on the car. I used all the factory hardware to install including the exhaust clamps.

I drove the car a few hundred miles this weekend and noticed a few things, the exhaust is a bit louder but not obnoxious, didn't notice any drone, felt like more torque, so far no codes (Jan took care of that).

I can tell the car is making more torque because with the latest version of Jan's (RMW) tune my torque steer had been greatly reduced but after the DP install I have to hold on real tight again.

here is a side by side of the factory DP and the Akrapovic:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...10320-1007.jpg

If anyone is interested I got it from www.SupremePower.com, Eric will sell to you for $685 including shipping contact:
Eric Nareshni eric@supremepower.com Tel:714-632-1951 ext 225

Last edited by killerfox; 03-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killerfox
I drove the car a few hundred miles this weekend and noticed a few things, the exhaust is a bit louder but not obnoxious, didn't notice any drone, felt like more torque, so far no codes (Jan took care of that).

I can tell the car is making more torque because with the latest version of Jan's (RMW) tune my torque steer had been greatly reduced but after the DP install I have to hold on real tight again.
Really nice to hear you like your new DP.

You should also have noticed that there is also a significant difference in weight between the two items.

I found out that after a while the sound changes a bit. It becomes a little louder.
Did you notice more frequent pops from the exhaust?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThePenl
Really nice to hear you like your new DP.

You should also have noticed that there is also a significant difference in weight between the two items.

I found out that after a while the sound changes a bit. It becomes a little louder.
Did you notice more frequent pops from the exhaust?
Didn't notice any pops. It is way lighter then the stock pipe.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you run it on the stock map to see if you get any CELs?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
Can you run it on the stock map to see if you get any CELs?
I could but it has a 100cel cat, I think it is pretty safe to say that you will get a CEL.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know what the differences would be between this product and say the Alta DP? I don't see much info on the Akrapovic site.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Off the top of my head:

Akrapovic:

100 cpsi cat
2.5" pipe size

Alta:

200 cpsi cat
3.0" pipe size

There may be others but those are the key stats. I plan on buying an Akrapovic for my JCW soon.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
Akrapovic will connect to the factory cat back section without any modifications, it also used the factory mounting points and hardware. Truly a direct bolt-on. If you later buy a cat back section that bolts directly to the stock DP you have the advantage of not cutting anything to connect it. Alta's DP will require you to cut the cat back section and/or their DP to mate it to the stock cat back or other manufactures.

Akrapovic Down pipe is only 7 lbs.

I did drive entire day with my Akrapovic DP installed and the stock ecu tune and did not get a CEL, I'm sure I would have gotten one eventually.

All of these after market DP's will give a CEL if you do not have a tune to get rid of the CEL.

Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
Off the top of my head:

Akrapovic:

100 cpsi cat
2.5" pipe size

Alta:

200 cpsi cat
3.0" pipe size

There may be others but those are the key stats. I plan on buying an Akrapovic for my JCW soon.

Last edited by killerfox; 05-29-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:23 PM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Performance Angst
Does anyone know what the differences would be between this product and say the Alta DP? I don't see much info on the Akrapovic site.
Akrapovic is a company that has a huge reputation in manufacturing exhausts.
More than anyone else currently offering exhausts for the Mini.

And by the way the Akrapovic DP did not gave me a CEL for 3000miles on stock JCW kit tune.

From me a big

Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Akrapovic will connect to the factory cat back section without any modifications, it also used the factory mounting points and hardware. Truly a direct bolt-on. If you later buy a cat back section that bolts directly to the stock DP you have the advantage of not cutting anything to connect it. Alta's DP will require you to cut the cat back section and/or their DP to mate it to the stock cat back or other manufactures.

Akrapovic Down pipe is only 7 lbs.

I did drive entire day with my Akrapovic DP installed and the stock ecu tune and did not get a CEL, I'm sure I would have gotten one eventually.

All of these after market DP's will give a CEL if you do not have a tune to get rid of the CEL.
It sounds like a great product. I really like the fact it will bolt the stock rear section. Is it Stainless? Does the Akrapovic also come with the mid-pipe section with the second cat like the Alta piece? It would seem that the second factory cat would be the next most restrictive point in the exhaust system.

I don't know alot about catalytic converters; other than flow rate and possibly weight are there any other advantages to 100 cpsi vs 200 cpsi?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 PM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
It sounds like a great product. I really like the fact it will bolt the stock rear section. Is it Stainless? Does the Akrapovic also come with the mid-pipe section with the second cat like the Alta piece? It would seem that the second factory cat would be the next most restrictive point in the exhaust system.

I don't know alot about catalytic converters; other than flow rate and possibly weight are there any other advantages to 100 cpsi vs 200 cpsi?
It is high grade stainless steel, with perfect welding. No second cat is used with the complete Akrapovic system. Just the one in the DP. You can either buy only the DP or cut and weld your second cat into the Akrapovic system or get rid off it.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThePenl
It is high grade stainless steel, with perfect welding. No second cat is used with the complete Akrapovic system. Just the one in the DP. You can either buy only the DP or cut and weld your second cat into the Akrapovic system or get rid off it.
Do they make a complete system for the Clubman? I didn't see it listed anywhere on their site.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Do they make a complete system for the Clubman? I didn't see it listed anywhere on their site.
I think they don't.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:46 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear

It is stainless steel and the Akrapovic is the downpipe only, although they also sell a full exhaust system if you want to go that route.

The 100 cpsi cat will be more free flowing than the 200 cpsi cat.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
They do not have a complete system for the clubman that is why only have the DP on my clubman.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
They do not have a complete system for the clubman that is why only have the DP on my clubman.
Thanks; that's what I figured.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
would the dp mount to a factory jcw exhaust?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 AM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
would the dp mount to a factory jcw exhaust?
Yes

Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
perfecto thank you sir

Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Video clips!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Do you think that this DP is worth $600? Right now...that is my only hold up with doing the downpipe.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Yes, for all the reasons metioned above. No cutting, using factory mounting points, direct bolt-on, no fitment issues, etc..

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Do you think that this DP is worth $600? Right now...that is my only hold up with doing the downpipe.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Agreed on all of the above but I should have been more specific. Performance wise....is it $600 worth of torque or is potentially some placebo torque. I am not trying to be a smart a$$....just trying to get a grasp on what exactly I am about to purchase.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
No placebo effect here. I had an updated tune from Jan that had gotten rid of almost all my torque steer and after putting on the DP my torque steer is back. Based on that you should feel an increase in torque no matter what DP you go with.

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Agreed on all of the above but I should have been more specific. Performance wise....is it $600 worth of torque or is potentially some placebo torque. I am not trying to be a smart a$$....just trying to get a grasp on what exactly I am about to purchase.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
OK....I am going to hold you to it.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Akrapovic down pipe installed