Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Current LSD options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 215 Likes on 145 Posts
Current LSD options?

I'm hunting for an LSD for my 06 MCS.
I'm NOT building a track car and I'm not interested in spending too much as I have other projects that demand my money as well. I'd like to stay under $1k.

I've looked at OS Giken, Quaife, Wavetrac, stock SVT, and OBX.

After seeing the questionable build quality of the OBX, I nixed it.

It appears that the SVT unit might be sourced slightly cheaper than the wavetrac which might be slightly cheaper than the Quiafe.

Does anyone have a lead on who has the best price currently? Heck, maybe there is the possibility of a group buy? I'm sure others would be interested if these things weren't so expensive.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
For a street driven car I would for sure go with the quaife. It is the most reliable with a lifetime warranty and it will really get the power to the ground. I've had one in on of my cars since 2005 and many a track miles with it still working great. Also it is zero maint.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/quaife...ferential.html

If it was a track car you can totally still use a quaife, or go for more lock with the OS Giken, but it will cost more.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/os-gik...ntial-lsd.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got a wavetrac LSD and I love it. Quaife is also a good choice.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
I understand that these LSD's are both good. What I'm looking for is the best price on the web right now.

I've been searching and searching and I know that there are some folks who seem to have better luck at finding the hidden deals.

I'm trying NOT to spend $1k if I can help it.... I have to act fast though, before my wife changes her mind!! Shes given the go ahead to swap an LSD into the car... Come on guys, someone has to know where the deals are...

Anybody??

Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Boostmaster
I understand that these LSD's are both good. What I'm looking for is the best price on the web right now.

I've been searching and searching and I know that there are some folks who seem to have better luck at finding the hidden deals.

I'm trying NOT to spend $1k if I can help it.... I have to act fast though, before my wife changes her mind!! Shes given the go ahead to swap an LSD into the car... Come on guys, someone has to know where the deals are...

Anybody??
M-factory?

If getting a clutch type it may need rebuilding down the line. I'd stick with a gear type.

I got the wavetrac on ECS.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-22-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
ECS has wavetrac for $975 and free shipping
WCW has Quaife for $965 +$30 shipping

Need to check the ford dealers as well...

Anyone have any other leads with better pricing?

Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
ECS has wavetrac for $975 and free shipping
WCW has Quaife for $965 +$30 shipping

Need to check the ford dealers as well...

Anyone have any other leads with better pricing?
I checked with ford and they discontinued that LSD. Hopefully you can find one.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 AM
Gabe Lozano
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit racing should still sell the ford one. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...xoCgQQQAvD_BwE

Old 01-25-2018, 06:36 AM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe Lozano
Summit racing should still sell the ford one. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...xoCgQQQAvD_BwE
I looked at that and the description says that's for a Ford 9 inch rear end

Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 PM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ONEBUNCHMIN
I looked at that and the description says that's for a Ford 9 inch rear end
You mentioned you wanted cheap and noted the Fort SVT. Isn't that the same as the MCS? I didn't see that mentioned. Am I missing something?

If so, just pick up a used MCS transmission ($400-$500 I believe) IF you can confirm it has the LSD. If it comes out of a car at the junk yard, you can run the VIN through the Mini VIN decoder to see if it came with LSD.

Regards,
Jerry

Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gsfent
You mentioned you wanted cheap and noted the Fort SVT. Isn't that the same as the MCS? I didn't see that mentioned. Am I missing something?

If so, just pick up a used MCS transmission ($400-$500 I believe) IF you can confirm it has the LSD. If it comes out of a car at the junk yard, you can run the VIN through the Mini VIN decoder to see if it came with LSD.

Regards,
Jerry
The link posted is for a diff made for the Ford 9 inch rear axle. Not the FWD Getrag.

M-factory is the most affordable *good* brand out there imo. I just didn't like their warranty. They wanted a "certified" M-factory tech to perform the install to honor the warranty. Maybe that has changed. Hopefully.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:07 AM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ONEBUNCHMIN
The link posted is for a diff made for the Ford 9 inch rear axle. Not the FWD Getrag.

M-factory is the most affordable *good* brand out there imo. I just didn't like their warranty. They wanted a "certified" M-factory tech to perform the install to honor the warranty. Maybe that has changed. Hopefully.
I was talking about a used LSD as found stock in the MCS. Same unit as the SVT as they used the same tranny's until the 2004/2005 update (different gearing, diff is the same).

But this looks like a brand new one available from one of the vendors here within your price range:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-team-mfa...trs-05min~tmf/

Regards,
Jerry

ECSTuning (01-31-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gsfent
I was talking about a used LSD as found stock in the MCS. Same unit as the SVT as they used the same tranny's until the 2004/2005 update (different gearing, diff is the same).

But this looks like a brand new one available from one of the vendors here within your price range:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-team-mfa...trs-05min~tmf/

Regards,
Jerry
Great info! This is the sort of thing I was looking for. I know that there's lots of stuff out there and while I'm usually pretty good with my google-fu, but I am not so foolish to think that I can find it all. Thus, the collective employment of gear heads around the globe to assist in my quest.

This is a good find. I'm sure there will be commentary- which I welcome... (as in why quaife and OS giken is soooo much better)-LOL (If they're $300 better then, yes, I want to know- I'm sure we all do.)

Really, I want the best bang for the buck. And if a $700 part does the same as a $1k part, why not?

Thanks for the input thus far!

ECSTuning (01-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I scored a GP1 LSD dirt cheap, 2nd cheapest will be the SVT marketed diffs they were like 700 last time I checked

Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
GP1? Can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with it.
Maybe a link?
Thanks,

Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
GP1? Can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with it.
Maybe a link?
Thanks,
It's a JCW GP1 Diff. The Diff used in the first gen JCW GP.

I'm guessing that's what that is.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:44 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
yeah the r53 GP, it was in factory JCW and an option for any r53 manual in 2005-2006

I think the checkmate cars mostly had them too

Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
yeah the r53 GP, it was in factory JCW and an option for any r53 manual in 2005-2006

I think the checkmate cars mostly had them too
I had that oem LSD in my 2006. It's supposedly a 25% lock (cone type clutch, whatever that means). Worked nice in the snow, but not so nice at the track. Replaced it with a Quaife when I replaced the clutch. Quaife is much better on asphalt, but not as good on ice and snow.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:42 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I have 2 cars I track/ax, one had no lsd the other had factory, huge difference in traction compared to those stock open diffs. On the 3 tracks i go to I can only get wheelspin in a couple corners and not enough to change laptimes because it only happens if I do not get the line right. For autocross I could use more lockup, this year I'm on hoosiers so it'll be interesting how that plays out. On the street it's a different story, the tires are not hot enough and I still get inside spin whenever I press the fun pedal on a corner in 2nd or below.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Lots of good info! Thanks to all who have posted.

My mini is just a dd and my "commute" is 15 minutes... It's odd that this one, in particular, is more peppy than the 2004 I worked on for my mother. This little guy will bark the tires in first and second without much effort and it's bone stock. (AND I think the front bearings are worn!) And it has 131k with stock suspension, wheels and tires.

Anyway, my wife didn't like the hoppy nature of the peg-leg so she recommended an LSD (within a reasonable budget- that's the catch!) Her dd is a mildly-ferocious WRX so it stops and goes like a beast and all other cars are compared to it. I think the mini will hold it's own. LOL

The summer plan is to pull the engine and trans and do all of the basic bits and a few little upgrades... Since the trans will be out, I'll add the LSD then.

Thanks again to everyone posting. All this info is very helpful.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Hey, while the LSD will help with the "hoppy nature of the peg-leg", you should also consider that with the shocks are shot and that could be contributing to that hoppy nature. There are a lot of posts about how poor the MINI shocks are and I didn't believe them until I replaced mine (Bilstein B8s, but even the B4s would be better than what you currently have). If you are tearing the car down that would be a good time to do shocks. If you can swing it, a set of fixed IE camber plates would be a great addition too.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:36 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Also check the motor mounts. Especially the lower one as it caused my engine to shake around and not help with traction.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Hoping to finally get around to fooling with the car finally! Curious to know more about the mFactory LSD from ECS...
No specifics on warranty.
Any new updates out there?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Updated the product description with there warranty info. We will cover up to 1 year on our side also, like on a majority of our products.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Do a quick search on the Honda forums for MFactory. They are a cheap knock off of the Quaife, very similar to what Megan racing does with other makes.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Current LSD options?