Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Flash Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:12 AM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flash Tunes

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with any of the flash tunes out there for the R53, specifically the Shark injector tune. I'm starting to get to the point where mine might need some software updating and was wondering what you guys typically go with.

Thanks!
Nick

Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Don't get a shark injector. It just advances the timing way too much and does nothing for fuel or any other maps. Your money can be much better spent on many other mods.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Our Gen1 cars are all at least nine years old when counting the convertible R52. With that said, if there is a modification it is most likely discussed here. Some of the vendors here also have their own full service shops with Way Motors already chiming in and Detroit Tuned being another. I am familiar with both companies.

Do you already have some other engine mods in place or are you planning some?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Don't get a shark injector. It just advances the timing way too much and does nothing for fuel or any other maps. Your money can be much better spent on many other mods.
Fair enough, any suggestions on alternate tuning?

Originally Posted by r53coop
Our Gen1 cars are all at least nine years old when counting the convertible R52. With that said, if there is a modification it is most likely discussed here. Some of the vendors here also have their own full service shops with Way Motors already chiming in and Detroit Tuned being another. I am familiar with both companies.

Do you already have some other engine mods in place or are you planning some?
I'm already running an intake (mostly hodgepodged a few different components together - forge induction hose, megan racing heatshield, cone filter, and modifided the firewall behind the intake - and a 15% pulley. Planning on doing an intercooler next with a cat-back after that.

-Nick

Old 11-27-2017, 10:34 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I wouldn't tune with just that list of mods, but if you add a cam & injectors then it's time. I run a rmw tune on my car

Old 11-27-2017, 11:38 AM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
I wouldn't tune with just that list of mods, but if you add a cam & injectors then it's time. I run a rmw tune on my car
Roger that! That seems to be the general consensus so far.

Thanks for the info guys!

-Nick

Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
IF your planning more mods in the near futre I'd wait on the tune like most a saying. If your done for awhile and have the money to spend on a tune do it. I've been to a few of RMW's tuning days and been reading on here about others tuning experiences and there have been people who only gain maybe 10-12 HP with a tune and your mods BUT did see a car first hand gain 31 HP on a tune with just the basic mods, 15%, CAI, and one ball exhaust mod. Granted Jan said it was one of the weakest factory HP cars he had seen up to that point but man was that guy happy when he left. Like he had a whole new car... On average with the basic mods above and a good tune you'll be looking at 200 wheel HP + or - a few and depending on Dyno used, etc etc....

The following users liked this post:
nthomas7883 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Originally Posted by N2MINI
IF your planning more mods in the near futre I'd wait on the tune like most a saying. If your done for awhile and have the money to spend on a tune do it. I've been to a few of RMW's tuning days and been reading on here about others tuning experiences and there have been people who only gain maybe 10-12 HP with a tune and your mods BUT did see a car first hand gain 31 HP on a tune with just the basic mods, 15%, CAI, and one ball exhaust mod. Granted Jan said it was one of the weakest factory HP cars he had seen up to that point but man was that guy happy when he left. Like he had a whole new car... On average with the basic mods above and a good tune you'll be looking at 200 wheel HP + or - a few and depending on Dyno used, etc etc....
Thanks for the insight! I'll keep that in mind moving forward. I don't have anything super crazy planned for now, just adding a little extra fun to my daily commute and frequent trips to the DC area. That is unless I find a good deal on a daily beater so I can go full on BattleMini with it. Until then I'm just going to brave the cold to get this catch can installed and hunt for some deals on catbacks.

Thanks!

-Nick

Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM
wc351
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on past experience with other vehicles a good tune does more than just give more peak power but cleans up the entire power band. Makes driving a lot more fun and enjoyable when it is right at every rpm.