Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Looking for more power

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
minigrey06
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for more power

Hi everyone,

New here, and I wanted to see if I could get some feedback regarding my R53. I have an 06 S with manual 6 speed with 147K miles. I bought it 4 months ago, because I got a smoking deal from Mini of Long Beach and it was the right car for me. Black light weight Team Associated wheels, dark grey, with the leather interior. Car felt great, and pulled hard, so I forked over the 4500 for it. SIDENOTE: since then- There is RMS oil seepage, so I will eventually get that seal installed and while I'm there, have a new clutch put on.

I quickly bought a used Alta CAI system, and and MSD coil (already had jackson racing wires). I also did the one ball exhaust mod, and got rid of the Run Flats and put Michelin Pilot Supersports all around. Love the car, am happy with it all around, but I'm thinking what other mods I can do to make it quicker. Reliability is not a HUGE concern, but I also don't want it to grenade on me every other month. This car will see 5-7K miles per year maybe. With the engine getting close to 150K miles, I wouldn't mind having it opened up and serviced and maybe port- polish and cams?? I also hear a new pulley/belt for the supercharger is the way to go no?

Thanks in advanced, sorry for the long-winded post. Attached some pics of my ride.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for more power-20170926_161112.jpg   Looking for more power-20170926_160321.jpg  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
A pulley is a good mod. Lots of history here and usually not the cause of an engine blowing up.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Yes, a 15% pulley for the S/C should be your next step, along with the correct plugs and belt.
But... With that millage you need to find out if the S/C had ever been replaced or rebuilt (this has nothing to do with a pulley swap in any way, the issues are in the W/P gear housing seals) S/C issues have been known to appear any time after 125k, so be aware of this. Don't want you to go through the trouble of a pulley swap in the car, if the S/C will soon be coming off for service.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Another area for about the best mod you can make is a stiffer rear sway bar. Look in to a 19 or 22 MM bar...and to quote Bob Hall: "If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 won't help you."

Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
for power bar none the first mod you should do it a pulley kit
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html

I would also do the ATI damper crank pulley just as a maint item as we see these fail weekly
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

Also an exhaust can free up the flow and increase HP and Torque
https://www.waymotorworks.com/stratm...3-hardtop.html

After those basics move onto a mild cam
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mi...t-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 PM
minigrey06
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome guys!! Thanks for the feedback. I will look into any service the S/C may need. My understanding is that there is oil in there that should be changed every 50k miles or so? I know before I got it, the dealership changed some hoses and fittings under the supercharger, however I don't know that it was serviced further. Flyin Brick, Yes I am looking into a 22mm sway bar from Eibach, thx!

I heard that with the Alta CAI I have and with the One ball mod I did, I should be running dif injectors?? or is that only if I have the car tuned after??

Thanks for all the feed back guys, it is much appreciated!!

Albert

Old 10-19-2017, 11:41 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
You won't "need" to run different injectors with the pulley change, you can however run the JCW 380's if you like, without having to tune the car.
But...if your considering a tune, just make sure you do the injectors first, a tune after will just dial everything in better.