Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic stage 2. Sps modes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM
mattiemo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manic stage 2. Sps modes?

What does the sps switch modes do for stage 2? ( Stage 1 for that matter). I have yet to do any mods to my 12 r56 s. I am wondering if getting a stage 2 manic tune ( with the sps switch) turned down until I put a new ic and down tube would be the way to go. Vs sending it out again to get remapped. (I know I only pay the difference) .
thanks

Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The SPS switch is just to switch between Stock, A, B and C maps for any of the Manic Stages.
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Typically map A is 1.3bar, B is 1.4bar and C is 1.5 bar.
mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
Stage 2 you would need a catless DP and a front mount to get the most out of the tune. What I did was buy all the parts required for stage 2 then sent the ecu out to have it tuned.
Here's a thread for Manic Stage 2. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...stage-2-a.html

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The easy way to think of the A,B,and C maps when using the SPS switch is to think of it as low, med, and high boost.

Now for getting the stg 2 tune then waiting to get mods. Yes it's been done many times before. But my opinion would be to get the mods first or at least a Forge intercooler as you should have them to be using a stg 2 tune anyway. Plus you will get gains from the mods even without the tune, and the tune will just make it that much better when you get it.

We are happy to do the tune and provide the parts if you need.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

Another option if you can't wait would be get the tune and SPS, then switch it to stock till you get the mods. But it will be temping to run even without the mods.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Can you get stage 2 if you CANT HAVE a catless DP? Reason why I say "cant" is because I live in MD and going catless causes for emission failures.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Not sure if other Manic dealers will disagree with me but I would recommend getting a larger FMIC and sticking with a Stage 1 unless you feel like swapping DP's for emission checks. The Stage 1 while not as powerful as a Stage 2 still makes a huge difference in the fun factor of a Mini.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:51 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Not sure if other Manic dealers will disagree with me but I would recommend getting a larger FMIC and sticking with a Stage 1 unless you feel like swapping DP's for emission checks. The Stage 1 while not as powerful as a Stage 2 still makes a huge difference in the fun factor of a Mini.

As you just stated is the very reason why I want Stage 2 and not Stage 1, but noticed to have it that it requires a downpipe upgrade. Going catless for me is a huge headache due to MD state emissions testing. y I intend on getting all the mods required to have Stage 2 with the exception of a DP upgrade (just not doing it), and know this is leaving extra HP gains on the table, but im ok with that knowing I can run my car thru emissions with the mods I do have and PASS.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM
RYANR56
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does MD do a sniff test in the emissions? When I first did the stage 2 I had a high flow cat in my downpipe I have now gone catless, but there are a few companies that offer a 100 cell cat in the downpipe. You definitely Still get a ton of power. Your exhaust has a cat it as well.
As far as the SPS switch goes. the map a, B, and C. WAY is right. I think they change 10 hp each. I played with mine in the beginning to see if I can tell the difference. Now I just run map c
I just purchased a stock 2010 Mocs and going from one car to the other is amazingly different!
Good luck. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.
Ryan

Old 09-19-2017, 07:10 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
In MD they connect a reader to your OBDII and put some sensor stick inside your exhaust and then they walk around with a handheld mirror looking up underneath your car (I guess to actually visually check and see if you have a cat on or not). Firs time failure is no biggy but after say the 3rd time, they flag your VIN, then its not much you can do but go back to stock to pass. They put notes on file about you each time you fail. I know this cuz when I had my E46M3 with headers, straight pipe, and no cats, I tried to go to some other emissions testing place in another county and that guy looked for the same damn codes in my OBDII and said you never even bothered to fix this did you and FAILED ME AGAIN!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 AM
mattiemo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I now i have a plan. I don't have to worry about emissions where i live, so catless dp isnt a problem for me. going to mod first, then tune