Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW quick tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
WMW quick tune?

Anybody have experience with a WMW quick tune? I have a 17% pulley and CAI, I'd love to do a dyno tune but I don't have anyone near me that does them, and I missed the one time that RMW came through town for a tune party. I'm not looking for miracles, but would like a little more power and less aggressive traction control. The quick tune price seems about right, I'm probably willing to spend up to $400-$500 for a custom tune.

Any other recommendations? it seems like remote tuning is kind of hit or miss.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Honestly, it depends on a few things...
-What you're willing to spend.
-Are you planning on other Mods?
-Are you planning on eventually getting a custom tune?
-How impatient are you? Will you be satisfied with "close enough"? (Had to throw those in there....)

If you're not planning on any other mods or ever getting a custom tune, then a canned tune from a Way is a good option, while the adaptations that the ECU will make on its own will get you by if you are planning other changes or a custom down the road, Ways canned tune should be better as a long term solution.

As far as remote tunes being hit-or-miss, I'm not aware of this, they can be frustratingly time consuming and gently nudge the boundaries of legality if you don't have a track to use....
They are actually the most accurate (this is why I personally prefer them.).
Remember, a dyno "simulates" actual conditions, on track/road tuning "is" actual" conditions.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
that's a good point. I don't really see myself doing more mods, my car is primarily a daily driver, and I do a few track days a year, but I still have to use it for grocery shopping and getting to work.

I've been driving it as it is for 2 years and I'm pretty happy with the way it performs, but I just keep thinking it has some untapped potential since the computer is still stock, but it's important to me that it starts and runs every time I need it to.

I guess I have 2 hang ups with remote tunes. 1 is the expense of buying the flash tuning tool, and I feel like I've read that some people have had trouble getting a remote tune to work properly and they've been left hanging without support from whoever was doing their tune. (I want to say that it was RMW that was doing the tune)

I'd like to keep it under $500, but I don't have a hard figure in my head, I think I'd be satisfied with close enough, but I've never messed with car computers before so I don't know for sure.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:43 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
I've done remote tunes for years (I can't leave stuff alone...lol) and it takes patience from both parties, many people tend to forget that tunes can't fix physical/mechanical problems, and esp with newer cars that can adapt to small issues so well, a tuner not being present to hear and see things first hand, can cause issues and quite frankly some hurt feelings, when it comes to what it takes to complete the process.

Personally, with your few mods, I'd leave it for now, and since you do a few track days with that pulley, spend a little on some 380cc injectors to take some of the load off those 330's with that pulley at WOT, then decide either custom or canned, I probably wouldn't do anything before that.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
I have a WMW Quicktune - my car is a 2004 with a dealer installed JCW kit. Seattle Mini refused to (or were unable to) install the 210hp tune when I got the JCW airbox and 380cc injectors installed (i.e. to complete the JCW 210hp kit). The only aftermarket mod I have is an Alta 15% Supercharger pulley. The car was a little lumpy even before those 3 mods, but once I had them I noticed a couple of dead spots / more lumpiness. Way said he could install the correct JCW tune for me, but said his Quicktune was better - he was right!! Car is as smooth as my babies bottom now.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:00 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
The best thing about Way's canned tunes is that he's been doing this for so long, he has many specific tunes for specific mods, and that's what tuning is all about, specific settings for specific pa55's.

The following users liked this post:
rjtrout2000 (07-27-2021)