Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Upgrading the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Upgrading the turbo

Now that the engine internals are in fine spirits, I want to get the most out of it, and that means upgrading the turbo and (then) tweaking the tune.

Any opinions on the Frankenturbo F21M?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:34 PM
fyarad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I know for certain that the Frankenturbo will be trouble with Manic.. unless you got someone to make a custom tune for you

Would recommend you Owen Developments turbo, Manic has done and tested tunes for those.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Tell me more about Manic and FrankenTurbo. I'm looking at both getting my Manic tune "tuned" for the current setup, as well as getting a custom dyno tune map done.

What I'd really like to be able to do is use my SPS switch to toggle between stock, Manic A-C, and the custom map. Anyone done that?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had a FrankenTurbo since November. So far very pleased. It ran fine with the stock tune ('09 Clubby JCW). I had it tuned a while after and it definitely runs even better. Your setup looks way more tweaked than mine so I'm not sure how that all plays into it. This is where the tune came from: https://www.etuners.gr

Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Neb08
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subbed because I too had been considering the Frankenturbo for some time now. With your built engine though you may be able to get into something a bit more aggressive/bigger. Will be curious to see what you decide on and how its goes with the tuning options...

Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Frankenturbo F21M installed! Runs great on stock and Map A of the stage 2 tune. Amazing sound too... different than the Borg-Warner. Looking forward to getting the new tune done soon.

Some pics:

Old 06-20-2017, 06:51 PM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
What turbo were you running before the FrankenBeast?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:32 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Now it gets real. Buzz is getting a custom tune tomorrow. I'll post before (Manic Stage 2 on stock and map B) and after charts once I have them. Can't wait to see the truth in that Mustang Dyno....

Old 07-05-2017, 06:33 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
I was running a new Borg-Warner that I got from Waymotorworks, with a Turbosmart plumbback. I'll be putting that turbo up in the classifieds soon.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:15 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Buzz did a baseline pull on the Mustang Dyno today. Tuner is having some issue flashing over existing Manic Stage 2 (any ideas?).

Here's a video of one of the pulls. 198 WHP running on Map B, 18-19 psi actual boost. Tuning goal is 245 WHP on this Mustang (boost goal is 24 psi).

Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
doing some math:

198 WHP mustang is 221.76 WHP dynojet

221.76/0.85 = 260.89 BHP and that's stunningly close to the 263 BHP Max that DashCommand reported.

If Buzz can hit 245 WHP mustang, then it's 274.4 WHP dynojet, and 322.8 BHP expected in DashCommand.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Please explain the different numbers expected for a DynoJet. Are the two companies using that much different technologies to measure WHP? Any source material explaining the differences? WHP to BHP is pretty straight forward, I'm just interested in the Mustang / DynoJet differences, and whether or not this difference is similar between all their various equipment model numbers.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 AM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Here's a partial answer: http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd64.htm

On the Mustang Dyno's screen, there was an option to view the number as a "DynoJet" conversion. This showed 222. The math indicates this is about 12% higher than the measured reading from the Mustang pull.

There are a ton of links on the difference. What I'm doing is getting it tuned at SoloMotorsports via their Mustang Dyno. When the local Mimi club does its dyno day (soon), I'll go do a couple of pulls on that DynoJet and directly compare then.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Good info --- Thanx for the link.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:26 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
An update on Buzz. It’s been quite a time during these last four months (although he did manage to slay the Dragon several times)...

Having replaced the thermostat, the plugs, AND the HFPF, adding a catch can, AND after stripping away the Manic Stage 2(?) and flashing all modules back to stock, Buzz finally is running healthy. The only thing not replaced under the hood is the radiator (fingers crossed).

Tomorrow, he’s off to SoloMotorsports and back onto the Mustang dyno, to get the kind of custom tune that’ll get the most safe power he can. I’m hoping for 240+ WHP there.

I’ll post the charts and update when I get him back.

Last edited by keithmcgreggor; 11-05-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-05-2017, 06:20 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
id think you should be able to make, and engine should handle way over 240hp - healthy jcw turbo'd cars are in that range
Whats the plan for tuning? solo going to crack ecu?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:53 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Just curious, what made you decide to go with FrankenTurbo over the JMTC Super 42 (faster spool) or the bigger JMTC GTD47?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Ok. I'm both happy and unhappy.

My custom tune is making more torque and more power through the power band than my Manic Stage 2, and the car is running much more cleanly.

However, I'm only topping out at 184 whp (at 6000rpm) and 209 ft-lbs (at 4000 rpm) on the Mustang Dyno. Boost maxes out at 20 psi (a hard pull on the interstate, via DashCommand).

My instructions to the tuner were: make as much safe power as you can, and remember this car is built to go zip through the mountains, not the track. Told him I'd drive it around for a few days and then check back in.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
What does 184 whp translate to crank
HP? Were you hoping for a bigger hp number?

Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
184 whp on the Mustang is roughly 245 bhp (using the 25% number from other car forums)
209 ft-lbs on the Mustang similar translates into about 279 ft-lbs.

So, I'm running about +70 bhp and +100 ft-lbs over stock. Good torque at the low-end too, and generally smooth throughout.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:56 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
My local Mustang dyno is referred to as "the heartbreaker" --- the numbers disappoint a lot of people. Fortunately, at our elevation of 4500', there are "correction factors" to show equivalent (higher) numbers at sea level. Then you also need to ensure the operator inputs all the correct vehicle data. There are a couple different charts that can be produced --- one that shows raw or actual data along with the converted numbers. When graphed, the chart grid scale should indicate something like "WC" for Weather Correction, or something similar. So far, mine have all shown similar "corrected" results, both Mustang and Dynojet. I don't know if this correction feature is available on older models or just on specific units --- so much to learn about dyno's ---

Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i dont know man, if its the same dyno you pulled 198hp on with the manic tune not so sure i'd be happy. I will pretense that using the same dyno as a means to track changes and improvements is always good and not to get hung up on the numbers. most i've heard mustang to dynojet is 12-15% difference.
post the graphs if you want to, it definitely looks like it runs strong in the old vid. Have you upgraded the clutch, didnt see in your sig? wondering if you're over powering the clutch or maybe wheelspin on the dyno rollers

obw! anything new with your build man? whens that bigger turbo coming

Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by keithmcgreggor
An update on Buzz. It’s been quite a time during these last four months (although he did manage to slay the Dragon several times)...

Having replaced the thermostat, the plugs, AND the HFPF, adding a catch can, AND after stripping away the Manic Stage 2(?) and flashing all modules back to stock, Buzz finally is running healthy. The only thing not replaced under the hood is the radiator (fingers crossed).

Tomorrow, he’s off to SoloMotorsports and back onto the Mustang dyno, to get the kind of custom tune that’ll get the most safe power he can. I’m hoping for 240+ WHP there.

I’ll post the charts and update when I get him back.
Back in July you posted a 198HP dyno pull. Now after a few months you say Buzz is healthy again. Sounds like something went wrong.

Originally Posted by keithmcgreggor
Ok. I'm both happy and unhappy.

My custom tune is making more torque and more power through the power band than my Manic Stage 2, and the car is running much more cleanly.

However, I'm only topping out at 184 whp (at 6000rpm) and 209 ft-lbs (at 4000 rpm) on the Mustang Dyno. Boost maxes out at 20 psi (a hard pull on the interstate, via DashCommand).

My instructions to the tuner were: make as much safe power as you can, and remember this car is built to go zip through the mountains, not the track. Told him I'd drive it around for a few days and then check back in.

Any thoughts?
Is the "more torque and more power" from a dyno chart or your "butt dyno"? After a few months and failed parts, "butt dyno" results can be mis-leading. And there's not much difference to be felt between the 184 and 198 numbers. I haven't seen anyone claiming more HP from a custom tune than a comparable Manic tune. Are you sure that uninstalling Manic was a good idea?

Originally Posted by randeez
i dont know man, if its the same dyno you pulled 198hp on with the manic tune not so sure i'd be happy. I will pretense that using the same dyno as a means to track changes and improvements is always good and not to get hung up on the numbers. most i've heard mustang to dynojet is 12-15% difference.
post the graphs if you want to, it definitely looks like it runs strong in the old vid. Have you upgraded the clutch, didnt see in your sig? wondering if you're over powering the clutch or maybe wheelspin on the dyno rollers

obw! anything new with your build man? whens that bigger turbo coming
Randeez! I just finished installing a rebuilt head w/Supertech valves and heat range 9 spark plugs. Also adding WMI jets to each port, instead of just upstream of the MAP/T sensor. Gonna live with the current turbo 'til I find some more $$$$. I'll update my thread when it's all back together --- maybe next week.