Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Going to replace the clutch soon. What else should I tackle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Going to replace the clutch soon. What else should I tackle?

How's it going, everyone? It's been awhile since I was last on these parts.

So after 160k miles on Egan (and on that clutch), I know it's been experiencing the dreaded clutch slip (if I drive carefully, it doesn't really show up as much, but I can tell it's there at times), which based on my observations of seeing there's a small leak at the rear main seal, it might be coating the clutch itself in oil, hence the slippage, but cannot confirm until I take the whole damn thing apart.

But, since I'm going to doing some open-heart surgery on Egan, I figured it would be a good time to replace a lot of other parts in the process, so I'm looking to all of you for some assistance. So far, I've been looking to do all of this:

-Clutch and its associated parts (likely will stick with OEM)
-rear main seal
-supercharger service (via Way + 15% reduction pulley)
-LSD???
-clutch salve, & master cylinders
-new transmission fluid (of course)
-???

I know I'm likely missing a few things, which again is why I'm asking for some help from you guys. I'm looking to start tackling this probably sometime next month, but first I'll need a slew of new parts, which I will more than likely get from Way.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 AM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do an LSD. I'm putting a Wavetrac in right now.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Rear main seal and replace the tranny mount.

And yes, adding LSD is the icing on the cake.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yup. Rear main seal is a definite one, plus all the gaskets in the area. I'll have the intake manifold off if I recall when I take the supercharger off, and I have a spare intake manifold gasket lying around. I also acquired years ago a Detroit tuned bypass valve, so I'll likely just replace that as well.

As as far as tranny mount goes, I already did that a year or two ago with a power flex one (same with the lower motor mount), so that's fine. And I already replaced the upper mount as well, so that's all good.

And yes, LSD would certainly be icing on the cake. Don't know what brand I'll go for right now.

Im not worrying about suspension stuff right as I consider the engine stuff more a priority.