Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain mileage sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 AM
Aaron Kent
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mileage sensor

Hi guys a bit of a weird one.
So after I had the 4% overdrive crank put on I started getting a what appears to be a lean condition, half throttle she goes nice, full throttle she starve and shudders. However I also notice that the cpu (display) mileage goes from working to 0 and stays there for a while (intermittent) but if I turn the engine off and back on away we go again with power returned. So appears that the fuel ratio is not being calculated and we fall back to the secondary safe mapping.

Things I have tried so far.
I thought it may be a pressure leak in the manifold.
Replaced the O rings on the injectors, checked the PCV and hoses.
Checked the spark plugs and made sure there was spark and tight, no leaks.

I thought it may be leaking fuel..
I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it was leaking a little so replaced the O rings and now not leaking

I thought it might be the Map sensor...
I took it out and gave it a clean

After all the above I got a bit of power back (use to spin wheels through 1st, 2nd and 3rd) but I can only go to about 3/4 throttle before the engine light flashes twice and then the mileage display goes to 0, prior to that mileage display works fine.. When the mileage display is on 0 it will rectify itself after a time or I can shut the engine off and it will come back on. If it was off all the time I would be thinking an oxygen sensor but working sometimes and not other times.. hmmm

Oh also running 17% reduction pulley and had the front diff replaced recently (about the same time the 4% overdrive crank when on).

Welcome any ideas.
Cheers
Clarky.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Sounds like you car is going into Protected Mode, it happens when the information from the sensors don't match what it is expecting and what it is reading. I recommend you get an OBCII code reader and pull the codes and go from there. Or if you have a shop close by that has the ability to tune (for example in the Philadelphia, PA area we have HELIX ( http://store.helix13.com/mini-cooper-performance-parts/ ) they have a Dyno and can tune out most of the mismatches from performance modding.

Without looking, I would guess it is a combination of the Pre and Post Mass Air Sensors linked to the O2 Sensor data. But this is just a guess, reading the Codes is the best way to go about figuring out what is really going on.

Motor On!

Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Aaron Kent
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers James, yep time to get an OBCII reader I thinks as this one has me a little stumped, thanks for the reply. I will update when I know more.