Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Ebay Exhaust Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Shen456
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay Exhaust Kit

Can't find a ton of info on this kit. Price seems pretty cheap, but odds are there is a reason for that. I am looking for an exhaust on a cheap budget though so this would fit that perfectly. Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-DUAL-TIP-S...xYhn~Z&vxp=mtr

Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
That is the complete unit and appears that it does not have a CAT. I had an ebay cat-back that I bought used from a guy on my R53. He had a muffler shop weld a resonator into the straight pipe section, the one you are looking at appears to have that.

The workmanship was not the best but how many times does somebody crawl under you car to critique the pipe welds? I had to grind the tips to make them slanted both the same way and also had to bend the hangers. I got 30,000 miles out of mine before I sold the car. I had numerous complements on the sound. On the other hand you will find threads here where the thing fell apart in no time.

There is another guy here that put on an ebay header but removed as it was so loud he was afraid it would set off the sound alarms at the track where he raced. The problem with most of the headers is that they break at the flex point and if there is no flex point they just break. The Mini S also puts out some good heat with the forced induction so the cheap cats burn out.

You came to the right place, should get several to chime in on the pros and cons.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That header won't last long at all, the cat back probably won't either. For a cheap option try the Ireland engineering. For a cheap header the Megan is the way to go.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Way Motors has a header but I have not been able to dig up any reviews on how they work. I think they sell as an alternative to the OEM but is does appear to have some straighter runs.

What year is your car, how many miles, do you have any mods in place and last but not least what are you trying to accomplish power wiz? If you can turn a wrench you can get some aftermarket stuff that will give you some good bang for the buck.

If you have not already done, suggest you go through the threads here in the mod section. Between the threads, the members and the vendors there is not too much that has not been tried.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Shen456
1st Gear
I have a 2005 cooper s convertible. Bout to hit 80k miles and has a 15% pulley and a cai. To be honest I don't have a specific hp/torque gain in mind. I just want a freer flowing exhaust that sounds nice. One of my concerns however is it being too loud. Don't want it to be obnoxious. And I won't be driving it near as much as I will be going off to college in August and won't have a car with me so durability isn't too big of a deal. When I am out of college I will most likely have a new car.

Last edited by Shen456; 04-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
If you are not doing allot of driving and the intend to sell it, the ebay cat-back may be the answer as long as you recognize the issues. I was happy with mine but it did have a resonator that was welded in. Have you checked out youtube to see any vids or ebay specials in action?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Shen456
1st Gear
So I think I'm going to go with a cat back if I get anything at all. If I want a header I will get something a little higher quality. I have looked at videos on youtube, and the ones that I have seen have sounded good, it is just hard to tell if it is the exact same one or not.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Shen456
So I think I'm going to go with a cat back if I get anything at all. If I want a header I will get something a little higher quality. I have looked at videos on youtube, and the ones that I have seen have sounded good, it is just hard to tell if it is the exact same one or not.
The exhaust you were looking at was around the same price as a Ireland engineering cat back. It's the cheapest exhaust that will hold up nicely, an exhaust is something I prefer to buy once and not have to mess with down the road.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honestly if you are going off to college you'd be better off spending the money on school stuff. Putting a low budget header/exhaust on is not worth the headache.