Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Is the engine in the S beefed up for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Ripsaw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking here because figure the performance crowd would be more likely to know. I've submitted an inquiry to the MINI dealer in Indianapolis about getting an S model. I have a question though. Did they just bolt the blower on the stocker 1.6 motor or does the motor in the S feature some "built for boost" reinforcements like stronger pistons / wrist pins, stronger head gasket, etc. basically did they beef up the engine internals any to tolerate the boost? This would be a consideration with regard to engine longevity before a rebuild might be necessary. I ask this because I would have my foot into the blower most of the time driving it, if I get one of these critters. Drive it like I stole it?... I will drive it like I am exerting unauthorized control over it with intent to deprive the owner of the use and value thereof

Old 11-20-2002, 07:45 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
I can't recall where I read it, or I would link it here, but the answer is YES, the S engine does have some internal parts that are tougher. If I find a source I'll come back and post it.

Old 11-20-2002, 07:53 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Also the compression ratio drops from, like 11 to 1
to 8.3 to 1. Something like that.

Old 11-20-2002, 08:10 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
There is a full description of the S modifications in the MINI USA website. Also, most car magazines that discuss the MCS describe the changes to the motor as well. A quote by one of the MINI/BMW engineers I read was "the motor in the Cooper S is quite understressed."

Old 11-20-2002, 08:44 AM
W3IWI
5th Gear
Concerning the questions about the underlying details of the MCS engine, I refer you to the technical paper "The Mini Cooper S Powertrain" written by the 4 BMW engineers responsible for the development of the MCS powertrain. It appeared in the Aug.2002 edition of the German automotive engineering journal MTZ.

I had to scrounge quite a bit to find a copy. To make life easier for you, I have temporarily posted it as two PDF documents on my personal FTP site:
ftp://ftp.tac.tc

The first document is 4 pages long and is the English translation of the text of the paper. It lacks all the figures and tables. It can be fetched as:
ftp://ftp.tac.tc/MCS_Powertrain.pdf

The second document is 10 pages long and is the German text. It contains all the pictures and tables missing from the English version:
ftp://ftp.tac.tc/MCS_Powertrain_DL.pdf

My FTP server has a small internet "hose" to the outside world, so please be patient. Let me know if they were of any use -- Tom

Old 11-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Ripsaw
1st Gear
>>There is a full description of the S modifications in the MINI USA website. Also, most car magazines that discuss the MCS describe the changes to the motor as well. A quote by one of the MINI/BMW engineers I read was "the motor in the Cooper S is quite understressed."

This is good news. Thanks everyone!