Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain JCW tune flash onto S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 PM
DJLMINI
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JCW tune flash onto S?

Hello,
Is there anybody on the east coast that can flash the JCW tune onto an S? I have asked a few dealers and they are not willing to do such a thing unless you buy the entire JCW kit and they install it. This is for an 04 R53. With the modifications I have I'd like to drop some 380cc injectors in, but not without the tune. The idea is to do this cost efficiently and I don't have the time right now to put a real tune on the car.
Thanks!

Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
I had similar experience with dealers here in the PNW. Seattle Mini no longer has the equipment to work on the DME of an R53 . . so will not do it. I ended up pulling the DME and sending it to Way Motor Works in Atlanta . . car was off the road for a week, but his Quicktune is fantastic

Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I heard the same thing from my MINI Service Advisor about a year and a half ago. A few months after I got my JCW flash she tried to get her car done and they couldn't do it. It had something to do with a software update to the dealer computers and they couldn't communicate with the 1st gen cars anymore.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM
DJLMINI
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, haven't learned anything new yet. WMW charges $270 for their quick tune! For that price I'll just hold out for Bytetronik and get a REAL street tune for $300. Plus, I'll be moving on to more extreme modifications and the subsequent tunes.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Besides what your dealers are telling you any software issues and their equipment, they are actually correct in telling you that you really need the full JCW package for it to work "properly" (it will work, just won't be right and really wouldn't be worth the cost) remember, tunes are based on the components "you" have.
Except for a custom, Way is the best option, he's got canned tunes for many different configurations of parts, that would probably be more accurate than the JCW.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 04-25-2017 at 11:16 PM.