Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mini Cooper S 2011 convertible - engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Areys
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper S 2011 convertible - engine swap

new to the forum!

so I got a great deal on a Mini Cooper S 2011 convertible that suffered from water ingestion. The current engine is hydrolocked and I'm looking at options to swap an engine.

I have noticed different variations of the N18 engine. Do I have to stick to an engine for a pre 1/2013 N18 or could I swap it for a Post 2/13 N18 engine?

Example le there is a 2015 engine available from a 2015 Countryman S. would this be compatible or do I have to mod ECU to match? There is also another engine Available for a 2013 Mini Cooper S which seems to be post 2/2013 would this work for a swap plug and play?

thanks in advance!!

Old 04-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Areys
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I kept reading here and it seems like the post 02/13 engines have the updated Bosch HPFP. But the engine available is a great deal. I could get an ecu with key and all components plus a harness. Would that be the only items to change? The donor ecu is for automatic and mine is a manual gearbox, would that matter?

thanks!!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
When you swap out the ECU, the car will NOT start because your CAS, cannot talk to the donor ECU. Let's say you have the donor CAS and ECU and key fob, the car will have to be coded (NCSexpert) to let the donor components know it is Manual not Auto. otherwise, it wont start properly. WORST case scenario, you buy the engine and do a cylinder head swap to retain the original HPFP.