Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain AB Catalytic header and cat as OEM+ replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
AB Catalytic header and cat as OEM+ replacement

Hello Everyone,

After 100k miles and 12 years in Connecticut my exhaust system is in need of replacement.

I'm looking at options for exhaust manifold replacements and came across the AB Catalytic 0201 in xsmini's rebuild thread. It sort of resembles the Megan racing head but with a longer flex joint and it comes with a cat. Is there anybody else has used or laid eyes on one that can comment?

The other option would be OBX I supposed. Ideally don't want to gut up my factory manifold.

Background:

For the cat back I have decided I am going to fabricate my own single sided 2.5in system using a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator and a Vibrant Street Power muffler. I have access to all the equipment and the price point isnt there for the other single sided exhausts (save IE...). I'm looking at fabricating a methanol tank to take the unused space on the other side as well (I picked up the HFS-5 kit for a song).

I'm looking at some option for exhaust manifold and consensus seems to be that if you want to spend the money the RMW is the one to get. My goals power wise are pretty modest and I really don't see myself spending the money on a big valve head any time soon.

Attached Thumbnails AB Catalytic header and cat as OEM+ replacement-img_7259_cb989795cb830a5abea1817a47f26e935084db17.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 05:33 PM
ChaosphereIX
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I registered to make this comment. I have my second R53. I wanted to get a new header and cat for it, and to support a Canadian company.

This header has a major problem: its port holes to the primaries are small and round. This is obviously not right. I returned the header because of this.
Also, beware what construction it is made out of. Mine was made out of T409 stainless, not T304. Not as corrosion resistant and will for sure need painting.

Finally, beware what model you get. Multiple headers are sold under the "0201" model designation, and some are stainless, and some are not. The quality of the catalyst also varies. I have mentioned this to the company and they have said they will address this in their listings.

In short, just do not get it. Any of them called "0201" made by AB Catalaytic, Ultra Exhaust, or any of the other companies that sell it. Get a Megan or OBX or something else proven. Such a shame.