Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aquamist install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Aquamist install question

So the other week I received my aquamist meth kit ! An wow it's a great kit all the way around. Worth ever penny!!

Just have a few questions for the guys who already did a install!

Does any one have a photo of how they wired up the wastegate wire! I know it' says cut/splices together but for some reason ' am super confused with the step ! I've emailed Jeff an he sent me a email right back . I think am just having a blonde monument an would like a few photos !!!! Any out there ?.

Last edited by BigBoost; 03-12-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
For the waste gate:

Step 1: Cut the correct white wire - pin 7 on the x60232 connector.

Step 2: Solder the white wire from the Aquamist ECU cable to the connector end of the white wire that you cut in step 1.

Step 3: Solder the brown wire from the Aquamist ECU cable to the other end of the white wire that you cut in step 1.

Make sense?Aquamist install question-photo310.jpg

Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
No it makes it crystal clear ! When I was talking with Jeff I felt like a deer in headlights ! I'm a pretty mechanical guy! An I was getting kind of frustrated over the hole deal. I did come across one of the forms you started and I was going to private message you but then I realize it was from 08 I believe it was '

How far down from the plug did you cut it?
An are you still running NGK ILKR8E6 what gap are you running !?
Any tips ?

Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I think about 3-4 inches. Not too far so that the splice would still be under the plastic cover to the ECU.

I've had no issues with the spark plugs and Manic dealer that I bought them from recommends 0.6mm gap.

If you have any questions/or concerns let me know. Mines been operating trouble free for over two years now.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I think about 3-4 inches. Not too far so that the splice would still be under the plastic cover to the ECU.

I've had no issues with the spark plugs and Manic dealer that I bought them from recommends 0.6mm gap.

If you have any questions/or concerns let me know. Mines been operating trouble free for over two years now.
0.6mm is factory recommendation --- that what the "6" stands for in "ILKR8E6". These plugs are 1-step colder than the '07 OEM plugs --- really nice in a hi-perf engine.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Sounds good! I can't wait to get ever thing in the car ! I've got a gtd 47mm to install as well ! Am from northern Wisconsin so am just waiting out the salt and cold nahahah but I like picking peoples brains on stuff !

Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Hey Big Boost keep up posted on how this improves your performance. Cerenkov how big a difference did you notice after you installed the kit, I picked up an 07 mini cooper S with some very similar mods to yours, what kind of HP you pushing? The one i picked up has alta catback exhaust, turbo tubes, , aftermarket intercooler, alta/k&n air filter set up, I just purchased a jcw turbo and going to rebuild and install it soon. Also very interested in getting the aquamist kit, for some extra power and reliability

Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
The cooling is incredible. With the stock S turbo I was getting 20 degF below ambient after the intercooler, with the JCW turbo upgrade I only get about 5 degF below ambient. This is all on map b of the Manic stage 2 tune and 100% methanol, no water mixed.

The thing I cannot measure is the increase in octane of the fuel. IIRC, I spray about 350 cc/minute at full boost. I really should calculate it
but I think the resulting octane is in the 98 to 100 range.

Spraying methanol is absolutely worth the expense. For my driving style, which is not crazy WOT all the time, I'll go through about 10-15 gallons per year (max 9000 miles driven per year) which is less than $100.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
So when I was building my mini, I was going to start a build thread on N.A.M but ever time I post something performance related ' I get zero comments on it or it just falls flat ! Or I get the " wait did you say 11.5:1 compression isn't that high" so I kind of just let it be ! Still a big fan of the fourm tho!

But hell if your only spending that much I should be able to cut that in half! I only drive my mini maybe twice a week sometimes less then that ! Only bad thing is I have to order the methanol on the web an get it ship in!

Have you tryed it on map c ?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Don't be discouraged about no comments, there are a lot of lurkers that just enjoy reading. You really should document your build especially since you are increasing the compression. It's good information to have out there. Eventually I'll do a forged internal build.

Luckily I have a meth dealer in my town, $37 for a 5 gallon drum of Renegade Fuels 99.99% methanol.

I've never tried map c, I don't want to know what I'm missing.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:23 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
I have a buddy that's been thinking about doing a build just like mine! I told him buy the stuff an I'll do the build! So maybe I'll do a thread then! I've never been on map b when I got the manic tune I jump right on to the map c straight flash to map c that is!
But with my set up like I sad am running 11.5:1 with 16 psi but it still rips
I need to get onto installing the meth it's just so dam cold! Am from northern Wisconsin but I did do this