Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I am getting 25PSI of boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:11 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I am getting 25PSI of boost ?

Ok, from day one my 2013 clubman S has shown more boost than most. With a JB+ I was seeing about 20PSI. I then installed a prosport gauge to verify my dash command readings. Then manic stage one, in map C I was seeing about 24 PSI which everyone said my gauge is off, sent it back to prosport, they said it checked good.

Then went to manic stage 2 , catless DP, 2.5" ALL the way from DP to tips. And in map C was seeing 24-26 PSI at about 80F 500ASL .

All the experts and I consider MarioKart an expert said my digital gauge can not read fast enough. So spent $75 and bought a VDO analog gauge, 0-30PSI and hooked up to the same NM port it said the same thing, about 25PSI .

So did MINI just put a special turbo in my car ? I am running a GFB diverter valve but that should just hold or help in recovery of boost.

I don't know how else to test or what might be giving me the extra boost.

I run in Map B most of the time which keeps boost to a read 23PSI .

On WOT runs I see my boost quickly hit 23-24PSI and then slowly drops to 20 PSI were it holds till I lift throttle.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:10 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
It's possible it has a JCW turbo. Did you buy it new or used?

Stock Cooper S N18 turbo I hit 20 psi max, 19 sustained (as read by DashCommand).

My other thought is that unless you have a boost line coming through the cabin the boost pressure sensor could be misreading or somewhere between that pressure sensor and your OBD2 port something is throwing it off. I know if I hook up my iPhone to DashCommand it will show 30 psi all the time at WOT for whatever reason. iPod (which I normally use) is fine.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
It's possible it has a JCW turbo. Did you buy it new or used?

Stock Cooper S N18 turbo I hit 20 psi max, 19 sustained (as read by DashCommand).

My other thought is that unless you have a boost line coming through the cabin the boost pressure sensor could be misreading or somewhere between that pressure sensor and your OBD2 port something is throwing it off. I know if I hook up my iPhone to DashCommand it will show 30 psi all the time at WOT for whatever reason. iPod (which I normally use) is fine.
I am original owner. And my last effort to prove my prosport and dashcommand wrong was to buy the VDO analog gauge, it just uses a plastic line from boost tap straight to it. No conversions no anything but old school gauge which tells my my car is producing 25PSI .

SO I'm very hesitant to upgrade turbos and get less boost.