Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Valeo Clutch Kit Just Arrived - Newbie Questions :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
No....why would you do that ?
I read somewhere that it was good to replace it, but I guess that's if you change the differential. Since I plan on installing a quaife when I change my clutch, I thought it would be good idea.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 AM
mallmaras
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a trick to getting out the top right transmission bolt under the wires?

Old 05-10-2018, 04:54 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I found that bracket the most painful part of the whole thing, I bent part of it to get better access. I'm doing a clutch this weekend so I am curious how things went.

At least your throwout bearing was not smashed to bits like the guide pin! valeo needs to improve it's packaging or box the small parts separately

The following users liked this post:
mallmaras (05-13-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
I don't remember exactly how I did it.....but I do remember it being a real knuckle busting pain in the butt. If you can get a socket on it, a swivel and extension might be the ticket. If not, you will probably have to get a wrench on it.

Like I said, I just remember it being a royal pain.....but stick with it, you will get it.

mallmaras (05-13-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by mallmaras
Is there a trick to getting out the top right transmission bolt under the wires?
You have to carefully remove the octopus to get to it. To remove the octopus you have to remove a MAP and its tube of sort. Patience is the ticket.

mallmaras (05-13-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also unbolted the wires from at least one other spot. Can't remember from where but I know i didn't put that bolt back in. Those wires aren't going anywhere.

It's all about getting the right combination socket and ratchet to get the bolt out. You might have to go to the store if nothing in your garage is working.

good luck!

mallmaras (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 03:04 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Just did the clutch last night I'm also doing the sc service so I removed a few extra parts for tbat . That octopus cable sucks but if you unbolt the front of it and pop the back part off it's bracket you will have more room. The water temp sender limits travel so unhook that too. I was able to get a wobble tip extension in and it came right out. Already have the trans back on, it went a lot faster this time, practice makes perfect I guess

mallmaras (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:55 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
Just did the clutch last night I'm also doing the sc service so I removed a few extra parts for tbat . That octopus cable sucks but if you unbolt the front of it and pop the back part off it's bracket you will have more room. The water temp sender limits travel so unhook that too. I was able to get a wobble tip extension in and it came right out. Already have the trans back on, it went a lot faster this time, practice makes perfect I guess
Exactly....
I don't know how many people that were at MOTD this year noticed, but the guys at the Detroit Tuned tent did a clutch swap "THERE".
So yes, it just depends on how many times you've done it.

mallmaras (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 10:21 PM
mallmaras
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips on that bolt under the wires. I did get it out, but like it was mentioned the coolant sensor limits the movement. I think I was frustrated and I broke the sensor lifting the wires up lol It turned out I didn't need to lift it that much.