Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbo installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Countryman97s
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo installation

Hey everyone! I'm planning on doing a JM turbo upgrade for my mini this summer along with a Mario Kart down pipe and new exhaust manifold and a custom tune. I'm a college student and I'm just wondering if anyone had done a turbo swap with anyone yet and how long it took cause I need to save money! Last summer I had someone put on my Megan coilovers and that took about 5 hours... if that took 5 hours I'm kinda nervous on how long this swap could take. I watched Mini Manias video on their turbo swap and it looked like it only took a day for a turbo, downpipe, and charge pipe to be put in. So hopefully it could be just a day I just don't know. Let me know! Thanks so much

Blake

R60: NM intake, NM charge pipe, JB+, Downpipe back Scorpion Exhaust, Megan racing euro coilovers.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:39 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Hey Blake,
The turbo removal and replace itself isn't that bad, it's the lack of space that soaks up all your time. You need good rackets, swivel and strong tools to get into the spaces. Make sure once you remove the heat shields to spay all the nuts and studs with some type of lubricant spray.
I removed the headlights and plastic shroud on my Countryman and GP when I up graded the turbos and downpipes. I removed my turbo with out removing the manifold, but some people remove the manifold with the turbo attached.
You will need some new gaskets, studs, nuts, aftermarket flexible oil feed line and some Mini blue coolant. You should be able to do it in one day if you have a lift or the car on jack stands. Remember to burp the coolant system after the car is up to temperature.

BTW there is no real need to change out and pay for a different manifold, I have done it and saw zero improvement.
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Countryman97s
2nd Gear
Hey Mario! Thanks so much for your response I really appreciate it. 2 questions how long do u think it would take a shop to do the turbo swap. 2nd I'm buying the Mario Kart down pipe off of a friend who has an r56. Are the down pipes compatable between the r60 and r56? To me they look pretty similar. Thanks thanks so much again!

Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Countryman97s
Hey Mario! Thanks so much for your response I really appreciate it. 2 questions how long do u think it would take a shop to do the turbo swap. 2nd I'm buying the Mario Kart down pipe off of a friend who has an r56. Are the down pipes compatable between the r60 and r56? To me they look pretty similar. Thanks thanks so much again!
A shop would charge 5 hours labor plus gaskets and stuff.
My DP will work on R56 and R60's
Good luck
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Countryman97s
2nd Gear
Awesome thanks so much Mario extreamly helpful!