Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Torsen LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Torsen LSD?

Does anyone have experience with a Torsen in a Mini?

I've come across a few Quaife users on here and a couple OBX.

Torsen is priced in between at $625 and is a brand I trust after having their diff on Miatas.

https://torsen.com/aftermarket-sales/

My only concern re: the ad is it says 5 speed. And I can't seem to find anyone here running it.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:17 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
This shows whoever is running the site doesn't know the parts or applications well.
You'd have to contact them to find out if they actually have the correct part for your transmission,
and then trust that they have it right.
I got a Quaife for the 6-speed Getrag that I swapped into my R50 after the Midlands died,and have
found it to be a very good product. You can't tell it's there at all unless driving hard in corners or in
wet or snow/ice, then it shows its worth. About 50% higher price than the torsen listed above, though.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:55 AM
S3DESIGNS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Does anyone have experience with a Torsen in a Mini?

I've come across a few Quaife users on here and a couple OBX.

Torsen is priced in between at $625 and is a brand I trust after having their diff on Miatas.

https://torsen.com/aftermarket-sales/

My only concern re: the ad is it says 5 speed. And I can't seem to find anyone here running it.
The Focus and MINI share pretty much the same trans which came in 5 and 6 speed so yeas it will fit but youll have to use the race from the SVT to make it work(not an issue). If you have a track car I would personally use the OS GIKEN because its a clutch type and is much more responsive although a torsen type will work just fine.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Originally Posted by S3DESIGNS
The Focus and MINI share pretty much the same trans which came in 5 and 6 speed so yeas it will fit but youll have to use the race from the SVT to make it work(not an issue). If you have a track car I would personally use the OS GIKEN because its a clutch type and is much more responsive although a torsen type will work just fine.
Thanks but what do you mean use the race from the SVT?

It will occasionally be tracked but more geared towards STX Autocross class. Looking to keep cost down as Mini's will likely be moved to STU in 2018 and be uncompetitive.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:43 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
clutch type make turning under braking a little bit different, helical gear type are unloaded under braking I'm not sure what the factory lsd does under braking.

I want a factory LSD for my 2005, like I have in my 2006 JCW but I may give up and just get a helical, probably mfactory as they have a pretty good reputation. Currently I get very little wheelspin on the track, juts a corner or two at most sites where I get down into 2nd gear. Most corners are fast enough and the track tires grip pretty good once hot

Old 11-30-2016, 08:55 AM
S3DESIGNS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Thanks but what do you mean use the race from the SVT?

It will occasionally be tracked but more geared towards STX Autocross class. Looking to keep cost down as Mini's will likely be moved to STU in 2018 and be uncompetitive.
Ohh then just get the Torsen and keep it cost effective! Yes the carrier bearing from the SVT, anyone that sells the diff will know! That diff will make your MINI night and day difference!

Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Thanks guys, I finally got a call back from Torsen and as stated earlier 5 speed was a typo.

They said it should fit the Mini as is, no issues.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
I've had the Torsen on for several events now.

The most mind blowing one was returning to Sebring Raceway having run there previously w/o LSD. The difference is staggering.

Initial impressions: dramatically reduced understeer, ability to power out of corners, slow in fast out now possible.

Corner apex and exit speed are noticeably higher.

Compared to the OEM Mini LSD, it locks considerably sooner. The inside wheel feels like it's pulling the car into the corner. Less steering input is needed.

Here's the first event I did once it was in. Prosolo

Old 08-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
How fast you going, 45?

Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
How fast you going, 45?
I think the fastest I go there is 55-60.

Here's a track day at Homestead for a better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrNA...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Update on Torsen LSD. At SCCA Match Tour in Ft. Myers, FL it seems to be locking unnecessarily while turning sharply at parking lot speeds. Axles are fine and the side that is clicking/vibrating more was replaced preventatively.

Torsen has been in use for just over 1 year. Warranty is only 1 year.