Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:08 PM
ballyrick
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Downpipe

Does anyone have experiences to share with the Akrapovic Downpipe or for that matter any other downpipe manufacturer? How do you deal with state inspections for emissions? Thanks, Ballyrick 2011 JCW 2dr.hatch

Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ballyrick
Does anyone have experiences to share with the Akrapovic Downpipe or for that matter any other downpipe manufacturer? How do you deal with state inspections for emissions? Thanks, Ballyrick 2011 JCW 2dr.hatch

Best advice I can give you, go with Mari Kart (AKA) Mario PALZA. He will hook you up with a Solid Catless DP. Solid welds, etc... But the only way to pass emissions inspections will depend on two factors:

1) What state you live in (some pull codes/others use a sniff sensor that picks up CO2)

2) If your state is not an issue, purchase a Manic Tune; Mario will hook you up,

Catless DP w/Manic Tune Stage II or II+, the only way to go.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:55 AM
Arthas
1st Gear
Mario DP is a 2.5, 2.75 or 3 catless DP?

Old 11-21-2015, 04:13 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthas
Mario DP is a 2.5, 2.75 or 3 catless DP?
It's 2.5" and 16G stainless steel

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 11-21-2015, 05:05 AM
Arthas
1st Gear
Why no 2.75 or 3?

Old 11-21-2015, 10:55 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Arthas
Why no 2.75 or 3?
There is no reason and while the Downpipe flows very well and 2.5 keeps up the velocity.

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 06-09-2019, 04:15 PM
R56JCWJack
Neutral
Am I right in saying a 2.5" DP will be louder than a 2.75" ?
Sorry for the noob question

Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Send me an email MarioPalza@gmail.com
i can help with your situation

Mario
mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been running AR Design 3" for almost 7 years and it's been amazing. This is what mine sounds like,

The following users liked this post:
scottselk (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 PM
scottselk
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your YouTube video is gone or not available.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scottselk
Your YouTube video is gone or not available.

Sorry, it should work now. I was having issues with YouTube.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:39 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the Akrapovic downpipe on my car and just had to deal with this to pass MD state emissions and I took mine off and put my stock downpipe back on.
Went thru and passed with flying colors (no issues). Granted some say that's unnecessary but i didn't want to have my car flagged (from failure) which cause them to be nosy and want to look and inspect your car even further.

I noticed there is TWO different designs in downpipes being offered, because the one like the AKRA DP looks similar to the OEM downpipe design but is more robust (bigger).
The other design seems to be more of a "straight pipe" design where they look like the Mario DP that he makes. Does one offer more oomph (back pressure) or is the Akra design really that much better and worth the extra coin? I only got my Akra DP because it was on sale and really had no intentions on getting it due to cost, when i really wanted a straight pipe due to historically seeing that's what most people use. So I'm wondering does anybody actually know the difference on which design is better to have and why?

Old 11-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Kds96
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
I have the Akrapovic downpipe on my car and just had to deal with this to pass MD state emissions and I took mine off and put my stock downpipe back on.
Went thru and passed with flying colors (no issues). Granted some say that's unnecessary but i didn't want to have my car flagged (from failure) which cause them to be nosy and want to look and inspect your car even further.

I noticed there is TWO different designs in downpipes being offered, because the one like the AKRA DP looks similar to the OEM downpipe design but is more robust (bigger).
The other design seems to be more of a "straight pipe" design where they look like the Mario DP that he makes. Does one offer more oomph (back pressure) or is the Akra design really that much better and worth the extra coin? I only got my Akra DP because it was on sale and really had no intentions on getting it due to cost, when i really wanted a straight pipe due to historically seeing that's what most people use. So I'm wondering does anybody actually know the difference on which design is better to have and why?
Its bigger because it has a 100 cell cat inside of the downpipe unlike the catless

Old 11-25-2019, 06:03 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kds96
Its bigger because it has a 100 cell cat inside of the downpipe unlike the catless
I totally forgot it has that 100 cell cat (duh), and even with it on there, you still wont pass emissions.
I wonder whats the point of the100 cell being included on the Akra DP's has a to be a reason they designed it like that.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:39 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
I totally forgot it has that 100 cell cat (duh), and even with it on there, you still wont pass emissions.
I wonder whats the point of the100 cell being included on the Akra DP's has a to be a reason they designed it like that.
I would think it's for better flow and less restriction. Here in the UK it passes yearly emission test without any problems and probably wasn't designed for places with strict emission tests.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:07 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Tuning discussions always seem lonely to me, without dyno charts. Ah well.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 01-25-2024, 12:40 PM
Mini6ix
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Send me an email MarioPalza@gmail.com
i can help with your situation

Mario
mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning
Hey! I'm a bit confused about this whole CEL downpipe situation. Firstly, want to preface by saying I don't think you are wrong, you clearly know WAYYY more about this than doI lol. I want to clarify my understanding of how the CEL works in relation to the downpipe. As far as I know, one sensor takes a reading before the cat, and one takes a reading after the cat in the downpipe. It compares the two and looks for the difference in readings provided by the OEM cat. If you allow more airflow through the downpipe in ANY WAY, the second sensor will see the change and trip the CEL. So how exactly does your downpipe circumvent this and others don't? Wouldn't you, in theory, WANT it to trigger a CEL so you know that you are seeing a change from the stock cat? Then, from there, correct the CEL by bunging up the second sensor or restricting its airflow to emulate the levels of the stock cat? Maybe I am misunderstanding; I am sure they are very well made and look like it. But what does that have to do with sensors and the CEL? I don't understand how any cat, not yours specifically, could simultaneously improve airflow to an effective lever AND not trigger a CEL?

Old 02-03-2024, 09:57 AM
F5666
2nd Gear
Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini6ix
Hey! I'm a bit confused about this whole CEL downpipe situation. Firstly, want to preface by saying I don't think you are wrong, you clearly know WAYYY more about this than doI lol. I want to clarify my understanding of how the CEL works in relation to the downpipe. As far as I know, one sensor takes a reading before the cat, and one takes a reading after the cat in the downpipe. It compares the two and looks for the difference in readings provided by the OEM cat. If you allow more airflow through the downpipe in ANY WAY, the second sensor will see the change and trip the CEL. So how exactly does your downpipe circumvent this and others don't? Wouldn't you, in theory, WANT it to trigger a CEL so you know that you are seeing a change from the stock cat? Then, from there, correct the CEL by bunging up the second sensor or restricting its airflow to emulate the levels of the stock cat? Maybe I am misunderstanding; I am sure they are very well made and look like it. But what does that have to do with sensors and the CEL? I don't understand how any cat, not yours specifically, could simultaneously improve airflow to an effective lever AND not trigger a CEL?
One way to solve this is by using an O2 sensor spacer, ideally an adjustable O2 sensor spacer. You can also code it out, like on Bootmod3 for example. You could do both if you wanted ha.

I know I’m late to the party, but Evolution Racewerks makes a very high-quality DP with several options including ceramic coatings. Thing looked beautiful before ai installed it.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:38 AM
gauss66
3rd Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by F5666
One way to solve this is by using an O2 sensor spacer, ideally an adjustable O2 sensor spacer. You can also code it out, like on Bootmod3 for example. You could do both if you wanted ha.

I know I’m late to the party, but Evolution Racewerks makes a very high-quality DP with several options including ceramic coatings. Thing looked beautiful before ai installed it.
I don't think Evolution Racewerks caters to 2cd Gen Minis ( R series ). Your photo appears to be for 3rd Gen ( F series )