Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain got my fastbend in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
jefe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my fastbend in the mail

Ok, so my fastbend (http://www.fasttoy.com/fb18.html) arrived saturday, very exciting as this is my first mod for the S.

Initial impressions::
Its very well put together, there are arrows in marker on the pipe to help with install and the clams are absolutely top notch, much better quality than I was expecting for the inexpensive price.

I really wanted to dyno it so I could have some of my own proof to show you guys (as that tends to be important 'round here) but i can't justify the price of two dyno sessions on a modi that will cost me less than $200 installed. If anyone in the upstate NY region wants a ride, or has a DAT recorder then let me know and we can arrange something. Install is tonight, i'll let ya know how it goes.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
I went to the website and it looks interesting, the only question I have is - WHAT IS IT?

All they do is claim that it adds hp, is street legal, is easy to install, and won't void the warranty. (I personally doubt that about the warranty though, as the reason given is that it "appears stock.")

What does this piece of pipe do, replace, or enhance?

Old 08-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
$125.00!! For a short bent pipe! ...and 9hp? (results may vary) for sure.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Normalizer
I went to the website and it looks interesting, the only question I have is - WHAT IS IT?

?
It's a really expensive way to do the "one-ball" exhaust mod.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:54 PM
jefe
2nd Gear
It replaces. It replaces the passenger side muffler, connects from the main pipe to the driver's side muffler.

I don't know much about the one-ball, i'm assuming its the same thing yah? Is the one-ball a manufactured piece? or is it just the term used to define taking your exhaust to some muffler people and having them straight pipe the passenger side muffler?

I know with the fast bend, that there was some research done to get the correct diamter tubing/etc...

As for warranty, it replaces one of the mufflers. I think we'd be hard pressed to find a dealership that could void any part of the warranty for replacing one muffler. I guess if the installation was super shady and someone ended up screwing up the exhaust pipes then that wouldn't be covered but like any exahust system its not gonna have too much of an effect on the rest of the car as far as warranty goes.

The car this was dyno'd on is my uncle's Cooper S down in Florida. I don't have the exact dyno spec's but I know its not false. Next time I talk to him, I'll see if i can get more exact information, dates/temps and all that. If anyone has a dyno and wants to test it, let me know and we can do it ourselves.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Traveler
3rd Gear
I was considering this product until I bought the e bay exhaust. The problem with having the one ball done locally is finding someone to do the proper mandrel bend. Most bubba shops have pinch benders. This was a $125 diy solution with a quality made bend. Sure it's pricey, but many MINI products are. I saw value here myself. YMMV. :smile:

Old 08-16-2004, 06:13 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
I am very sure that it will gain a few hp, and it does save some weight, but you don't necessarily need to buy this mod. You can get it done for about $50 from an exhaust company with a mandrel bend machine.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:42 AM
jefe
2nd Gear
install update

Wow, that was easy. I took the car down to the local muffler shop (only guys that would install something I didn't buy there).

We put the car up on the lift, took a sawzall to the stock pieces. Stock mid-muffler slid right out without removing the heatshield or anything. We then loosened the clamps on the fast bend, slid it over and reclamped it down. Took a total of 25min involving lots of BSing/etc.. I bet it could be done in 15 or less if ya were really trying.

I'll give a sound/power update later on

Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, the good ol' one-ball:

I've had mine for a while (it replaced my Magnaflow). It is cheap, lighter than the Magnaflow, much quieter than the Magnaflow, and doesn't seme to have cost much (if any power).

Old 08-17-2004, 07:28 AM
jefe
2nd Gear
Mine replaced nothing, went from to stock to stock-minus some.

Sound I actually wish it was a bit louder. I've yet to do anything else to the car yet so I know that once I get a better filter/intake situation I'll hear a bit more. At idle, it is just a tad bit throatier. Muffler man install guy told me, "sounds like it has some pep now". I do like it at WOT, unfortunately I don't have too many roads around here to practice that but it does sound nice and sporty. Similar to an older car, it just sounds more mechanical and appropriate.

Power I haven't calibrated my butt dyno since I burnt it out tanning last summer, but it seems like in the higher rpms there is an urgency to acceleration of the motor. I've always been pretty attuned to slight motor differences, and I can tell the effects of the lesser backpressure are making a bit of a difference. I think to increase this even more, maybe a simple replacement of the muffler I still have with some sort of cheap light piece might do the trick.

All in all I'm happy, being that my fast-bend was free and all I paid was 50bux under the table for the install, I couldn't be happier. (well I guess I could.. )
Next comes the free range chicken, er I mean air filter.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
First you said "less than $200.00", now your saying it was free to you?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that this thread was a shameless plug for a friend/relatives product. ...it's all good.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:07 AM
jefe
2nd Gear
hehe, maybe so.

When I mentioned less than 200 installed, I meant that price for the average bear. (regardless of what I typed, )

If you really want to get technical, both 'free' and '50 bux install' combine to be 'less than 200' if my math skills are correct.

It is a bit of a plug, who doesn't want to see a friend/relative do well. At the same time, its an honest review... and we can all use more of those.

Self-hijack... does anyone actually use the find a motoring buddy locator? I signed up but there doesn't seem to be anyone around me yet I saw about 6 MINI's yesterda (a record for Rochester). Unfortunately I never see 'em parked so I can't leave notes for the owners. I desperately need to get together with other owners for a cruise somewhere! i'm going crazy

Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
rochester, ny?

I saw a few up there this weekend - I grew up there and had my 10-yr HS reunion on saturday.

m

Old 08-19-2004, 04:26 AM
pmello
3rd Gear
Swap 1Ball to other side???

Has anyone thought about cutting the pipe after the bend and flipping the 1ball over and putting it on the other (right) side. The mufflers looks symetrical and so the hangers should fit. I know the rear pipes might need "tweeking" to line up. It has the added benefit of putting some weight on the other side of the driver (US).????

Old 08-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
umm. Where would your exhaust exit (tips) be?

Old 08-19-2004, 06:53 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
The muffler and resonator are not vertically symmetric. Also, the entire assembly kind of points downward going from front to rear. At that point, it would probably be worthwhile to custom fab an entire cat-back.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:30 PM
pmello
3rd Gear
Flip One Ball second try.

I guess I didn't explain very well where the cuts would be made. I would leave the front pipe in place all the way to the resonator. Then make the cut just in front of the resonator. Then cut the muffler off leaving 2-3in of pipe. Flip the muffler over and move over to the other side. The muffler does look like the same can form top and bottom. The rear pipes are not straight in plane looking from the back and might need some work!!! Also I'm not sure how the new joint at the muffler is going to line up to the short section after the bend.

It never occured to me that anyone woud could cut the down pipe right after the first bend just after the motor and just flip the whole assembly after that. Sorry about the bad discription. I think one of the local tuners has a stock catback cut up in the back of the shop. I'll just kick the pieces around a bit and see if it was a stupid idea.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:46 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
The cans are different on top and bottom. Maybe you could do it but you'd need different hangers.