Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Head gasket repair + pulley ...??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Captredtop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket repair + pulley ...??

Hello, this is my first post so thanks in advance for your help.

I'm buying my Mom's bone stock 2005 mcsa from her. It has 56k on the clock and has been driven lightly.

Unfortunately, she ignored a cooling problem and ended up with a blown HG. My question is this. While I'm having the mechanic do the HG, is it okay to have him do a reduction pulley/ colder plugs/ belt at the same time? (I figured...since he's in there...) Or is this unwise and I should wait and do the pulley later for some reason?

I know I'm like a big kid and want it done...but don't want to be stupid about it.

Thanks...Captredtop

Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd maybe do the head gasket and make sure everything else is good to go before you add some fun mods. Then that way you can do the pulley, plugs, and belt yourself to help you get working on your own MINI! If you feel so inclined that is. Lots of great DIY info on NAM coupled with our articles here, which can help guide you.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I would just get the head gasket and anything closely related to it done first and drive the car for a while to make sure everything is good before modding. Maybe have the thermostat gasket and overflow tank replaced since they are usually a problem and you'll be getting new coolant with the HG.

I would also look into getting the transmission fluid changed if it's never been done. MINI says it's lifetime fluid, but your transmission won't like it. There's a few must read posts on NAM about this.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Captredtop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I'll be patient...reluctantly! I do plan on having the expansion tank/ thermostat and gasket replaced (along with a couple of other things) and the tranny fluid changed. I'll concentrate on the basics first and the fun later!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
You're welcome and good luck! If you have questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
When you pull the head have it checked for cracks. And if it has a few miles on it have them go ahead and check the valve guides as they wear out. Also do the thermostat at the same time.
The pulley can be done at the same time as the mechanic may also save you on the labor.

If you're doing the coolant tank get an aluminum one as even the new plastic ones fail.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/polishe...-tank-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more