Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Insane price of catless DP ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I see we have some educated and some not so.... Tigger Thank you, I read that and a couple of other articles. What I gleaned was the reason its getting better is in part due to laws being in place and regulations such as having Cats since 1975.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
If you care so much about the air you breathe, keep it to yourself. We like to mod cars, and if you don't agree we don't need you to police your thoughts. Thanks.
You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I personally wouldn't put a catless exhaust on a street driven car. I just don't see the reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber
You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I personally wouldn't put a catless exhaust on a street driven car. I just don't see the reason. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring
So someone needs to comment because they have to on a thread about aftermarket downpipes? Makes sense since they aren't helping the person out who is trying to figure out which downpipe to put on. They didn't ask for an "educated" fact. If you don't like to "break the law", stick to keeping it to yourself. Every law is broken. So what's your point?

As for the guy, I don't have to worry about emissions in my state, so why would I care if I'm "killing" the environment in Michigan when this is the motor city. Most men in this state are into modding cars. It's a big scene and we aren't breaking laws like the government does everyday.

Rant done.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought a Riss DP since that was much more reasonably priced. Fit isn't perfect but it works fine.

OP, if you can find a small exhaust shop to do it, I can't see it being more than $200 installed.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 PM
MontyRSVR
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini forums are definitely different, in over twenty years of modding and belonging to turbo car forums this is the first time I've seen someone scolded for hurting the environment. Whats next gas mileage debates?

On topic: I've been using homemade down pipes for years, making north of 500whp and torque from 2.6 liters. If its made well, smooth bends from quality metal ( doesnt have to be stainless), nice thick flanges that won't warp and it fits it will make the same power as any other regardless of price. If its not a show car I could care less about finish either... On a mini you can hardly see it any way. As said above, somethings the price makes since on bent tubes and flanges it's just nuts to pay $600-1000. I do understand it though, when I was 20 something it was cool to show people thousands of dollars of HKS and ralliart race team stuff on my ride.

Last edited by MontyRSVR; 07-27-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 PM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MontyRSVR
Mini forums are definitely different, in over twenty years of modding and belonging to turbo car forums this is the first time I've seen someone scolded for hurting the environment. Whats next gas mileage debates?

On topic: I've been using homemade down pipes for years, making north of 500whp and torque from 2.6 liters. If its made well, smooth bends from quality metal ( doesnt have to be stainless), nice thick flanges that won't warp and it fits it will make the same power as any other regardless of price. If its not a show car I could care less about finish either... On a mini you can hardly see it any way. As said above, somethings the price makes since on bent tubes and flanges it's just nuts to pay $600-1000. I do understand it though, when I was 20 something it was cool to show people thousands of dollars of HKS and ralliart race team stuff on my ride.
ya the mini forums are a bit weird imho, but there is one thing in common with other forums and the car community all together, pay top dollar for something that can be fabricated and/or bought for much less

in the end, paying high dollar for a lot of things just gives you bragging rights, usually performance ends up being the same(with in 5hp from each other)