Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Any Experience with Mini Madness Performance Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 05:58 PM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Experience with Mini Madness Performance Kits?

Well I might already be eating my words about the power in my MC. It is not bad, and if I get the car handling well I might be okay with it. That said, I'm looking at some of the mild performance kits.

There is one from Mini Madness that includes a cold air high flow intake, an ECU and a cat back exhaust. They CLAIM 140 HP.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these kits? Do you feel any more power. Does anyone know of any dyno tests to back up these claims?

They offer a Borla or a Rogue exhaust with the kit. Any experiences with either one of these.

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:19 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
When I picked up my new CVT MC last Oct 30, the dealer installed the Madness CAI and exhaust (not Borla so it must be Rogue -- dealer did not think Borla worked as well on MC as it does on MCS). The dealer wanted to use Madness as they liked their quality. Since I did not use the car before these parts were installed, I can't say about the difference. But I like them a lot. The sound is not loud at all until you go faster than 3,000 rpms, which I normally don't do (only a few times), then it sounds good but not too loud. I've just got 3600 miles on her. From what everyone here on this site has been saying, most (if not all) vendors tend to exagerate their hp claims. That's not necessarily bad, as long as you know that. We also have learned that the CAI and cat back exhaust for the MINI may only add 5 to 10 hp, and the chip may add 10 more hp. So, that's 15 to 20 hp -- not bad. With the MCS, these numbers could be somewhat higher, as the supercharged engine takes kinder to modding.

You may want to consider lightening up the car, such as by getting light wheels, i.e., 15 inch diameters versus the 16's or 17's. One lb saved at the wheel/tire/brakes is the equivalent to 4 lbs saved on the body, because it is rolling mass. You could ditch the spare tire (35 lbs) and add the fix a flat kit and compressor. Weight savings will make a big difference in acceleration, braking and handling performance.

We have learned that to make the most hp, you need to additionally port and polish the head, as the exhaust ports are somewhat small. Larger exhaust valves are an option too. I can't remember off-hand, but I think just the larger exhaust valves are available and not larger intake valves. Larger valves may or may not help (that's debatable), but making the head more free flowing with the porting and polishing does. That may add 10 hp or so. Pretty good. While in the engine, you could add the mild Schrick cam which should be good for a few more hp (not sure how much). You could also add a larger throttle body for a few more hp, and header adds some more. All this may be more than you want to do right now, but it's fun to think about it all.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a Cooper, I have an S, however from what I've heard from others I think 5-10HP would be A LOT from an intake and exhaust on the Cooper. I'm not sure there are any GOOD ECUs for the Cooper that really make any power yet. 5-8HP would probably be pushing it there as well. So if a decent ECU exists, I would say maybe you could get 10-15HP TOPS from an intake, exhaust and ECU. But closer to 10 would probably be more realistic.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Just bite the bullet and turbo that sucka!

Old 06-08-2004, 03:29 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
You're probably right greatgro. But if you can do the additional head work, that will let you realize the most from the intake and exhaust. Some here even think adding the intake and exhaust will actually subtract hp. No one knows for sure without before and after dyno runs.:smile:

Old 06-10-2004, 01:54 PM
SpoMini
3rd Gear
I can tell you from experience that the headwork and cam will make a difference. I haven't had the car dynoed since the work was done (waiting on a better chip first) but with the header, exhaust, head, cam and ignition upgrades its a world of difference over stock. So smooth and, my butt dyno tells me, a good deal more power. Still not alot of torque under 3k but who ever keeps the revs that low?

Its up to you what you do. I've taken a stock S in a 1/4 and whooped him in the twisties... I think that counts :smile: