Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Another N14 Tuning Option: DNA Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Clubman S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very good tunner! here in Chile they tune N18 Minis succesfully!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:35 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ltjpunk7
Is anyone able to compare the Evolve tune to the DNA tune? Anyone tried both?

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
If someone was local to me and wants to swap cars for 5 mins I can definitely test out the Evolve tune. So far I've already tested Cobb, NM and the N18 JB+. So I know how they feel, I am just not so sure about Evolve.

Originally Posted by 2big4mycar
Ra2fanatic,
Did the tune come pre loaded or did he send you the handheld and wait for you to receive the device before writing a tune?
I sent my data to John@DNA Tuning and once John wrote the tune, he sent it back to me, I loaded it into the unit and then downloaded it into the MINI.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:37 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
For anyone waiting to see if DNA will be setting up tuning groupbuy, I'm trying to work on the details to get another offering for the N14 on the table.

My sister's husband is out from New Mexico and he has a R53, but he really loves how my MINI is now from my iPE exhaust to the new tune compared to how he drove it last when I had the AP. Two different animals.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
Can't wait for my tune, I had the ap so hoping for a better experience. Hopefully have the tune by New Years.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
So I was able to dyno the MINI this weekend @ MD Automotive in Westminster, CA. I put down 209whp and 218wtq. I'm impressed with the linear power and the drop off in power with the boost cut from my previous mapping with the Cobb AP has been negated. Keep in mind, that this is a linear tune map.

The next test is to get a map for power and boost (non-linear). I'll update that along the way as well.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A smooth powerband is awesome for sure, and putting down 209 at the wheels from a factory rated 176 at the crank... that's a well worth it tune. If all else is stock, that's a hell of a tune.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Well I'm not stock since I have dp back exhaust, fmic, and intake to go along with the tune. I feel like it's a conservative stage2 type tune. Not putting down the power I had when I was running Cobb AP Stg3, but this is a more rewarding drive since I have top end power now that is sustained where as on the AP, after 4500rpm, there wasn't anything left and it seemed empty up there. It wasn't rewarding to rev the **** outta the MINI, but with DNA's tune, it's just so much nicer.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
Starting to second guess this choice I've had the handheld for a couple weeks now and have yet to get a response from him. Possible he could be on vacation for the holidays, but some sort of response would be nice.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Yes he was away. I got a response from him today. So he has mounds of emails to go thru. Sorry, but do realize he owns the business and tunes more than just a handful of MINIs. He tunes for major series.

Not trying to make any excuses for his absence, but it is the way of things at times. ****, I'm starting a new project on Tuesday next week and my supervisor is in Hong Kong/Thailand for his honeymoon, I'm not going to be hounding the guy for a response.

Patience is a virtue.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
Not hounding him with 1 email, just wasn't sure as to why I hadn't received a response.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2big4mycar
Not hounding him with 1 email, just wasn't sure as to why I hadn't received a response.
It was the holidays man. Not everyone works through it, so even though I emailed him my dyno graph over the break requesting a bit of a new tune to show others the difference in power delivery, I knew it would be after the 1st that I'd get a response.

Trust me, up til the break, I've been exchanging emails with him for weeks now. So he'll get to you soon.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
He replied every night (time zone difference) up until I payed for it so I was a little worried I got ripped off at first, guess I'm just anxious to get some power back in the car.

Curious to see your dyno graphs, not sure what route I'd like to go with.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM
redparchel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
… anyone waiting to see if DNA will be setting up tuning group buy…

Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He closed up until the 2nd of Jan. He provides maps and dealer support to dealers all over the world. I would imagine his inbox would be massive over the holiday period. Just send him a reminder next week.

He has always been helpful with my car. For those wanting a dyno plot, here is my 2007 MCS (in the uk) with FMIC, intake, decat, cat back and DNA map:

Name:  StockvsDNAFinal-page-001_zpsd623bbcf.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  62.9 KB

Base run was with just a decat and cat back.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The peak dyno numbers look very much like what Evolve claim, have not dyno my own car tho but the way you described the power delivery sounds very similar. A fast steady build up of speed with no drop off in torque just keeps driving you forward. With the stock tune the car would feel weak down low and then come into the power after the tune there's power right down low without any spikes just a big fat torque curve all the way through to the redline, nice.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure he is a busy man, but its like pulling teeth to get info from him. I have an 07 s and was asking John what bolt-ons he would like to see on my car for him to tune it . I figured he would know what works and what doesn't.... well I would ask 10 items and he would reply back with 3. Like I said , I'm sure he is a busy man but its slow and not that warm fuzzy feeling you want to get from the tuner of your car.... just my 2cents

Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
I'm sure he is a busy man, but its like pulling teeth to get info from him. I have an 07 s and was asking John what bolt-ons he would like to see on my car for him to tune it . I figured he would know what works and what doesn't.... well I would ask 10 items and he would reply back with 3. Like I said , I'm sure he is a busy man but its slow and not that warm fuzzy feeling you want to get from the tuner of your car.... just my 2cents
Perhaps he was trying to tell you third of your list of mods... I get what you're saying though, I'd expect more.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Perhaps he was trying to tell you third of your list of mods... I get what you're saying though, I'd expect more.
Like I said, I'm sure he is a busy man and with me being across the pond I'm sure I'm not on top of his list
I just wanted info, a list or even a package to buy..
Exhaust- size. Name brand ( forced induction exhaust doesn't have to worry to much about exhaust but...)
Intake-
Cooler- name brand to support flow up to 275ish)
Turbo --

I asked about tuning , either I can send my ecu to him or they sell a handheld
I guess I just need to buy a pile of parts and get his tune

The other thing I notice on the "post your Dyno" forum is everyone's Tq comes on fast and drops about 3k and then the HP comes on about 5k
I don't like the dip between the two. I want to see my Dyno the same as stock but higher. As TQ goes down HP takes over. No flat spot between 3 and 5 k

Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Shoot me a pm and I can answer all those myself. Right now John and I are working on getting DNA a distributor in the US, so we should be able to bring a gb for NAM members soon. I know I've been saying this for a while now, but it's worth the wait.

With the N20 around the corner, DNA Tuning will definitely have tunes ready for early adopters as well for the 3rd gen platform.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Like I said, I'm sure he is a busy man and with me being across the pond I'm sure I'm not on top of his list
I just wanted info, a list or even a package to buy..
Exhaust- size. Name brand ( forced induction exhaust doesn't have to worry to much about exhaust but...)
Intake-
Cooler- name brand to support flow up to 275ish)
Turbo --

I asked about tuning , either I can send my ecu to him or they sell a handheld
I guess I just need to buy a pile of parts and get his tune

The other thing I notice on the "post your Dyno" forum is everyone's Tq comes on fast and drops about 3k and then the HP comes on about 5k
I don't like the dip between the two. I want to see my Dyno the same as stock but higher. As TQ goes down HP takes over. No flat spot between 3 and 5 k
Instead of beating your head against a brickwall why don't you just get the Evolve tune, check their site( evolveautomotive UK) they have tune levels from 1-6 and they tell you exactly what bolt ons you need for each level. Just get the 15% discount for your cable from the US distributer( through this site) then direct(I can not stress this enough) ALL your questions to Evolve UK who will be supplying your tune. I don't know what the price difference is between DNA and Evolve so I guess its up to you if the difference is worth the extra work involved in getting your tune. Just my personal opinion, good luck and maybe there will be a group buy and that will make it worth while.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Do you have a contact name, number for who you did your Evolve 3 tune I could talk to ?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Do you have a contact name, number for who you did your Evolve 3 tune I could talk to ?
First I would go to their website evolveautomotive.com and checkout what they offer for MINI, they have different levels of tune and list the supporting bolt on's for each one. You just have to make up your mind how far/ how much money you want to spend on mods install those parts then send them an email containing your ECU data(using their cable and software) along with a list your of your mods what octane fuel you use. Also you ask to remove DP Cel and top speed limiter.

If you want to discuss what tune they would recommend send an email to imran@evolveautomotive.com you will have no problems with prompt communication.

Like I stated before get your cable through this site from the US distributer, I think he's still running a 15% discount which is around $680. Once you have your cable deal directly with evolveautomotive.com the UK site, that's where your tune is coming from. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Had a friend drive my DNA Tuned MINI and mind you he's currently running a Cobb AP stg3 and he's a true believer in what DNA has done to my MINI. He was able to test drive both my linear and non-linear maps and both gave him excited sensations.

As he described my non-linear map, "I like it a lot because it doesn't throw all the boost all at once, it's a build up of boost which is smooth all the way up to redline, I really like it a lot."

And the linear mapping? "It's fun as ****. You're waiting for the boost to kick in and it's just not even there! I don't even feel like it's a turbo car anymore, super smooth power deliver."

That's one believer ready to swap out his AP. Any other takes in the area for a test drive?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Sub'd for group buy info.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
User RJT rode my MINI today and he seems impressed with both maps I showed him (linear and non-linear). Should be good to go soon!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Another N14 Tuning Option: DNA Tuning