Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intercooler Install Question/Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 AM
MelloYellow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Install Question/Problem

So this past weekend we installed a aftermarket (ebay) intercooler on my dad's 08 MCS, other mods are a K&N intake and Alta Cat back. After the install i took it out for a test drive and noticed it was a lot less responsive and felt like it wasn't making as much boost or making it much slower. it just didn't have the kick that it did before.

We drove it around last night and was keeping an eye on boost and intake temps. Seems like it would stay at around 10-12psi but creep a little over 14 at points. The intake temp would stay around 116* F plus or minus 5* depending on how hard we drove. the lowest it got was 95* just cruising. Then as a comparison we took out my bone stock 07 MCS. Boost levels seemed to be about the same but it spooled much faster. And the intake temps were better. they would hover around 113* plus or minus 5*. But when i would cruise it would drop MUCH faster, the lowest we got it was 91*.

We are both pretty new to FI but this just doesn't seem correct. I can understand why we get more lag (bigger intercooler = more volume = more lag) but i would have imagined it would have cooled the air much better/faster. He plans on getting a tune in the next couple months but is a little discouraged about the intercooler and doesn't know if using it would be beneficial with the tune.

Finally my question/s.

Will a tune fix some of the lag problems?

Are higher Intake Temp readings normal?

Are the "name brand" ones worth 3 times the price?

Should we stick with the stock intercooler for the tune?

Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the attaching hoses to the intercooler, sounds like one of the clamps may have come undone. Have seen this happen before more than once after an intercooler install.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
You just found out why made in China e-bay intercoolers are so cheap....
They can look pretty...but they are marginal at best as an upgrade....
Check your connections to be sure....but I bet you will be selling a slighly used made in China ic soon...

Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Start with checking all the connections for a boost leak. Higher intake temps should not be happening with a larger intercooler. Where are you getting your intake temp readings?

In regards to the tune. Are you getting a custom tune done or an off the shelf tune? That can make a huge difference. A custom tune can be tailored towards what you want to see from the car.