Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Uprating Internals

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uprating Internals

So, I have been interested in uprating my turbo, it means that i also have to strengthen my internals.

Which is actually the weakest link for MINI internals that i have to replace, considering that I will be tweaking it for around 300bhp, daily driven car (not going to push it to often, once a week maybe)

And what parts do you guys recommend?

Thanks guys

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, just no. You can use the stock internals.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
No, just no. You can use the stock internals.
Are you sure about this?I've read a lot of blown pistons even with the JCW turbo? I just want my car to have longer live with bigger turbo

Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Blowen pistens are usually a tuning thing and not a turbo thing. Don't waste the money till you need to do the internals. I had one of the more powerful R56's on this form and my pistons were fine till the day I switched them.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
^ He makes a good point. I was going to upgrade my internals until Porthos on here made the argument that a used engine with low miles can be as low as $3000. Upgrading internals properly could cost upwards of $5000. Also check out Oldbrokenwind's car. He has a powerful Mini and he's on stock internals.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xaurfang
So, I have been interested in uprating my turbo, it means that i also have to strengthen my internals.

Which is actually the weakest link for MINI internals that i have to replace, considering that I will be tweaking it for around 300bhp, daily driven car (not going to push it to often, once a week maybe)

And what parts do you guys recommend?

Thanks guys
I think the thing you should be asking yourself is why you want 300bhp on a FWD car Numbers bragging? Straight line power? You'll certainly be burning up the tires in the turns. It's sure a lot of money for a little increase in overall speed.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
I think the thing you should be asking yourself is why you want 300bhp on a FWD car Numbers bragging? Straight line power? You'll certainly be burning up the tires in the turns. It's sure a lot of money for a little increase in overall speed.
He speaks the truth. It will also cost a lot more then 5,000 if you do it right. If you are going to do it there is no point if you don't do it right. I did mine because I already had the engine apart and because I am going to school for mechanical engineering. Hopefully I will be able to get a job with a race car manufacture. So the experience was also worth it to me personally.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
If you're dead serious about your endeavor for power contact RMW.

Let them know your budget and what you want to accomplish. They'll tell you of it's possible or not.

There aren't any real heavy hitting 2nd gen cars on here.
They're all at minitorque.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
If you're dead serious about your endeavor for power contact RMW.

Let them know your budget and what you want to accomplish. They'll tell you of it's possible or not.

There aren't any real heavy hitting 2nd gen cars on here.
They're all at minitorque.
Rude! Haha, there are still very few over there.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I think there are a lot more people willing to experiment over there. A handful of GT28RS swaps.

BOOST HITS IN A 4500RPM AND I REDLINE AT 6200 YO!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I think there are a lot more people willing to experiment over there. A handful of GT28RS swaps.

Daaaaamn vtec kicked in early yo! Lol

Yes, they also don't have things like pesky MAFs and such.

Also helps that these cars are built in the UK, so of course the support across the pond would be much greater(experimentation) as you've stated.

Lohen
Evolve
Come to mind first.

But as MINPWR stated, there are still only a few....the 1st gen section of has much more activity then the 2nd gen to this day.

Wonder if support stops at 3rd gen...hmmmmmm??

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Yea I can't imagine how insanely encrypted that ECU will be. All to protect the majestic mother earth!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 PM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Blowen pistens are usually a tuning thing and not a turbo thing. Don't waste the money till you need to do the internals. I had one of the more powerful R56's on this form and my pistons were fine till the day I switched them.
So when do you think is the right moment to strengthen the internals?how much horsepower can it hold?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM
xaurfang
1st Gear

I think duell ag NA is experimenting with the GT28RS, claimed to (will) have 300whp or even more.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
So when do you think is the right moment to strengthen the internals?how much horsepower can it hold?
When the other ones break.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Daaaaamn vtec kicked in early yo! Lol

Yes, they also don't have things like pesky MAFs and such.

Also helps that these cars are built in the UK, so of course the support across the pond would be much greater(experimentation) as you've stated.

Lohen
Evolve
Come to mind first.

But as MINPWR stated, there are still only a few....the 1st gen section of has much more activity then the 2nd gen to this day.

Wonder if support stops at 3rd gen...hmmmmmm??
3rd gen may have more support than you think. if it shares the same engine as the next 1'er or 2'er, there is most likely a tune that can be ported between the two and then tweaked if need be to fit the mini platform. i think the 3rd gen will have much better support than 1st and 2nd gens combined...

Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
When the other ones break.
So i've seen your build thread, and you changed your internals already. Did you learn it the hard way then (breaking it first)?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic

3rd gen may have more support than you think. if it shares the same engine as the next 1'er or 2'er, there is most likely a tune that can be ported between the two and then tweaked if need be to fit the mini platform. i think the 3rd gen will have much better support than 1st and 2nd gens combined...
Yea, you have mentioned that to me before.....I'm just glad BMS is working on something for us lol.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear

So i've seen your build thread, and you changed your internals already. Did you learn it the hard way then (breaking it first)?
My pistons and rods are actually in great shape. I could of reused them if I wanted to. My issues were caused by a cat that failed.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I think duell ag NA is experimenting with the GT28RS, claimed to (will) have 300whp or even more.
Looks like they haven't learned from others mistakes. That turbo is too big for the 1.6L and the turbo spools at around 4500rpm. Not a very usable turbo for an engine that has a 6200rpm redline. Suckers will buy it though!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
My pistons and rods are actually in great shape. I could of reused them if I wanted to. My issues were caused by a cat that failed.
That's after you've changed the turbo?So what made you upgraded the internals was that you wanted to boost the engine more?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
That's after you've changed the turbo?So what made you upgraded the internals was that you wanted to boost the engine more?
I changed the turbo at the same time I did my pistons. I upgraded because why not, engine had to be torn apart anyway.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Jcw'11
2nd Gear
Looks like they haven't learned from others mistakes. That turbo is too big for the 1.6L and the turbo spools at around 4500rpm. Not a very usable turbo for an engine that has a 6200rpm redline. Suckers will buy it though!!!
very correct! Look the best upgrade turbo is the borg warner airwerk upgrade. Most of them want a JM upgrade 47mm if so get the super 42 it spools early too.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:54 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
MCS have weaker pistons and ringlands vs JCW (JCW can support ~300hp @ crank in stock form).. I would at least be looking to get a good set of forged pistons, along with ARP rod-bolts and head studs. If you had $$$ in your budget still.. +42mm turbo or WMI would be a real good addition.

*blown pistons before a tune are likely carbon related (rings get caked up, scrape/stuck/fail) due to poor maintenance
*blown pistons after a tune could be from the same.. but more likely caused by too much timing and not enough octane.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:58 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
You guys realize that you're replying to a thread from 2013? Talk about zombies - would have been perfect if you had waited a day for 10/31... :-)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Uprating Internals