Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Press Release - 200HP Turbo Cooper Kit from Mini Mania

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Astro
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I was just saying you're not at 6000+ for an extended length of time.."
Yeah, but it only takes a fraction of a second to bust gears! One launch or hard shift to second where the wheels hook up really well and bye-bye 5-speed!
I am skeptical of a bolt on turbo charger *safely* increasing power that dramatically without internal engine modification, namely, lowering the compression ratio. Seems like if you wanted to do it, the way to go is to buy a MCS and start there. You've got a boost friendly motor and a six speed to handle the power better.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:16 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
I agree engine mods are probably necessary to make this long lasting, and to get the most out of it.

Their solution is to include a waste-gate setup that drops the compression to around 7psi when it boosts.

I disagree that the S is naturally "boost-friendly", aside from the Getrag 6speed. The engine (that MINI strapped a Roots supercharger to) is basically the same as the MC, with some minor mods including a stronger camshaft and decreased compression.

Old 11-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Astro
3rd Gear
"I disagree that the S is naturally "boost-friendly", aside from the Getrag 6speed. The engine (that MINI strapped a Roots supercharger to) is basically the same as the MC, with some minor mods including a stronger camshaft and decreased compression."
Exactly, low compression ratios are boost friendly. Yeah, it's the same block, but my gut tells me if you're increasing horsepower by way of forced induction by 75%, you are going to need to lower the nominal compression ratio of the normally aspirated engine you are modifying if you want it to be reliable, ie. not detonate and melt pistons.
I could be wrong! :smile:

Old 11-15-2002, 11:03 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
No, you're right about the necessity of lowering the compression ratio...i agree to that definition of "boost-friendly"
:smile:

Old 11-18-2002, 08:45 PM
Neutral
Does anyone know if the MCS and the standard MC have different compression ratios for their engines? If anything the MCS compression should be lower... Since it does have forced induction.

Is there no room behind the bumper for that intercooler?..... Thats a horrible place for it.....

Anyone know turbo size/type/make?

Old 11-27-2002, 09:21 AM
OttoPequeno
3rd Gear
I see a lot of talk about the Minis not being able to handle 200hp. However, BMW is releasing a John Cooper Works Mini in 2003 that kicks out 200hp. What gives? I don't think the modifications are too dramatic to the current engine. In fact, I think the dealer installs the mods!

Old 11-27-2002, 09:28 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
THe 200 hp John Cooper Works package is for the Cooper S which has stronger engine internals and a much stronger 6-speed gearbox.

The doubts in this thread are about a 200 hp Cooper that was originally only 115 hp, with a 5 speed box that has been stated to only be good for 130-135 hp (while still maintaining reliabilty).

Also, what price 200 hp? In the MINI Mania version, the Cooper appearance gets pretty badly butchered IMO. Plus, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread that intercooler would be the first thing to get whacked on a curb or exiting a parking lot. As the kit says, not for street use.

Old 11-29-2002, 07:47 AM
Trey
Neutral
>>Does anyone know if the MCS and the standard MC have different compression ratios for their engines? If anything the MCS compression should be lower... Since it does have forced induction.
>>
>>
>>Is there no room behind the bumper for that intercooler?..... Thats a horrible place for it.....
>>
>>Anyone know turbo size/type/make?

I was told stock MC compression is 11:1 and the MCS is approximately 8.3/5:1.

Room behind the bumper is quite limited. I'm sure my Sawzall and a Dremel could clear some space though. Has anyone tried hooking the headlight or windshield washers to spray the top mount IC yet? What about a water injection kit for the MCS?

Trey

Old 11-29-2002, 09:03 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But torque is a major concern also, NOT just horsepower. Actually, for the trans I believe torque is a BIGGER problem. Thus max torque being around 4000 rpms will ALWAYS be a problem b/c every shift will go through maximum torque.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:47 AM
Terry@spool-turbo.com
Neutral
Hello everyone...I am a newbie here, my first post.

I have had extensive experience regarding turbocharging cars that did not come that way from the factory.

First of all I have noticed that many people are concerned with the stock tranny and its ability to handle the increased torque and hp output from an F/I application.
In most cases transmissions have to be over engineered to take abuse ect into account. We have turboed many MP3's / protege 5's that come with 106whp from the factory. These transmissions are notorios for lack of strength. Mazda has had many problems with the protege transmission............and mostly due to the age segment that are driving these cars (17-22 year olds) that do not know how to drive or just flat out abuse them burnouts ect.

On our current project car we are laying down over 230 lbs of torque and hp at the wheels for over a year now on this supposed weak tranny.

The point I am trying to make is this. One must excersise mechanical empathy on there vehicle when they are doubling the hp rating of it. That means no excessive burnouts, powershiffting thry every gear ect.

Other statements that I have been reading is that the mini's motor cannot hanle boost and for it to actually handle a turbo internals will have to be upgraded. This is a myth. Turbocharging an engine involves many things in order to have a good running engine with a long life span. Fueling will have to be increased accuratly. Timing will have to be retarded thru-out the entire rev range via altered timing maps ect. With these 2 aspects covered any engine can sucessfully be turbocharged and more importantly reliably.

I would like to gauge in who is actually interested in turbocharging there mini? Is there a market out there?

Terry