Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics RaceChip Ultimate Tune Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
208 whp and 203 ft/lbs on my stock JCW on a Dynojet. Only mods were a lower arm torque bushing. With RaceChip in best pull was 203 and 203. The difference was that both the hp and torque lines were smoother and extended out without the bumps, fluctuations that I had without the chip
I must of missed it, but do you have any graphs? Your stock figures seem high, but good for you. You lost 5whp but gained smoothness. Am I missing something?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator
I must of missed it, but do you have any graphs? Your stock figures seem high, but good for you. You lost 5whp but gained smoothness. Am I missing something?
He mentioned the auto wouldn't hold long enough to get peak numbers?

Is that possible?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's possible if the car wasn't run in manual mode, because then you're subject to the computer still controlling the transmission, which won't allow it to be run to redline, like a dyno needs. My best guess though, not a fact.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
It's possible if the car wasn't run in manual mode, because then you're subject to the computer still controlling the transmission, which won't allow it to be run to redline, like a dyno needs. My best guess though, not a fact.
So I'm guess that's only for MINIs? Cause I've seen Stangs, Camaro's, GT-R's, 350 and 370z's get tuned like crazy with an auto trans. I believe it to be crap, not saying your statement but in general I hear that about MINIs all the time but how come a guy on here with an auto MCS(n14) had 215whp and in between 250-260wtq? I just don't understand. Don't quote me exactly on those numbers but their close(too lazy to look up the thread).

Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean

So I'm guess that's only for MINIs? Cause I've seen Stangs, Camaro's, GT-R's, 350 and 370z's get tuned like crazy with an auto trans. I believe it to be crap, not saying your statement but in general I hear that about MINIs all the time but how come a guy on here with an auto MCS(n14) had 215whp and in between 250-260wtq? I just don't understand. Don't quote me exactly on those numbers but their close(too lazy to look up the thread).
Even in manual mode the 2013 N18 will shift on its own. Don't know about other years or engine types but that's what mine does.

Dyno runs in both chipped and unchipped where the same behavior with auto in manual mode. Hit near redline and it shifts. According to Google, this is the same on BMWs as well with Steptronic.

Would be interesting to know if the map they were running was touching the trans as well? Don't even know if that's possible on a MINI? I think might also be another example of N14 vs N18 limitations. Damn you BMW!

Last edited by martincohn; 05-01-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
No I get your point, and like I said I was only offering my best guess from what I've noticed in driving my R56 with auto. It also has the N14 engine if that matters.

As to your point, with all the problems we've been seeing (namely the timing chain issue), it could very well be a limitation of BMW/MINI.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
5HP loss?! WOW!! They are gonna sell tons!

Originally Posted by martincohn
So I bought a RaceChip and installed it a week ago. .................
208 whp and 203 ft/lbs on my stock JCW on a Dynojet. Only mods were a lower arm torque bushing. With RaceChip in best pull was 203 and 203.
So you LOST HP?!
I guess if it feels better....
Figured it MIGHT GO faster cause you wallet was lighter....
Lets just say the 5 HP difference is within the error range of the dyno...give the product the benefit of the doubt....
Thus the numbers say it does...er...

Glad you feel you got a return on your investment....If you feel your car is somehow smoother, etc, congrats. The again......maybe it was the ITALIAN TUNE-UP!!
Sounds like similar results to getting a D1-Spec...or the brand name Sprint-booster....but you will not loose HP there....

Last edited by ZippyNH; 05-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH

So you LOST HP?!
I guess if it feels better....
Figured it MIGHT GO faster cause you wallet was lighter....
Lets just say the 5 HP difference is within the error range of the dyno...give the product the benefit of the doubt....
Thus the numbers say it does...er...

Glad you feel you got a return on your investment....If you feel your car is somehow smoother, etc, congrats. The again......maybe it was the ITALIAN TUNE-UP!!
Sounds like similar results to getting a D1-Spec...or the brand name Sprint-booster....but you will not loose HP there....
So curious. Lets here about your monster MINI?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
So curious. Lets here about your monster MINI?
Now you did it.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
So I bought a RaceChip and installed it a week ago. My car hasn't blown up, doesn't surge, no engine lights, just runs/pulls harder, and is an all around blast to drive. Plus it sounds better to boot.

When it blows up my engine you can tell me I told you so. In the mean time, take a deep breath cause it will need to last you awhile

I even threw it on a dyno, didn't get the numbers I hoped but I'm still not gonna take it off or return it.

Have a 2013 JCW Coupe with an automatic. The auto is what stopped me from getting the numbers I was hoping for, but it still FEELS better. And for my daily driver my butt dyno wins. Plus I can remove the chip in a few min and head to the dealer without warranty worries.

208 whp and 203 ft/lbs on my stock JCW on a Dynojet. Only mods were a lower arm torque bushing. With RaceChip in best pull was 203 and 203. The difference was that both the hp and torque lines were smoother and extended out without the bumps, fluctuations that I had without the chip. The air/fuel mix was also smoother and more consistant.

The auto trans definitely hurt me but keeping the wifey happy wins out on that one. The trans would shift too early to allow max of the potential hp and torque gains. Someone with a manual needs to chime in here with their numbers.

Would I do it again, you bet. Do I have any regrets? Only that I can't mess with the auto trans to get the extra RPMs.

Now I gotta to get my Alta FMIC in (it gets hot in TX) and go have some more fun! And look for some more rice burners and Mustangs to smoke off the line. Some of the looks I've been getting are priceless.
My tune gained 22hp and 57 torque. Stock except the tune with an automatic. Lets not blame all of this on the transmission.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DKIKK77
My tune gained 22hp and 57 torque. Stock except the tune with an automatic. Lets not blame all of this on the transmission.

Exactly why I plan to go with RennTech or PAW within a month or so, mainly because I feel comfortable with my ECU tuned, but auto transmissions shouldn't have issues like NM is having or others. Glad you love your tune!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCW Jen
Awww damn DIKK77... you busted me. I really AM a Rogaine advertiser. This whole "I have a Cooper and I bought a RaceChip" is just my cover.

I would hardly call my response to hoppes-no9 an attack.. He offered his opinion about me and I replied in kind. No hard feelings I hope, I mean after all I gave him a ..

Don't be scared, I'll be gentle... Congratulations on your real tune. You and your fanny pack seem very pleased. Similarly, I am happy with my Race Chip purchase... thus my original post. Now move along..
It's pretty obvious you're a MINI Dynamics employee who came on here to push your product. If it wasn't obvious from your posts and very short posting history, it was pretty clear from the fact that your location is listed as "Northern Virginia." Coincidentally, Mini Dynamics is located in Northern Virginia. (See also attached screen shot of your website.)

It's fine if you want to come on here, identify your relationship to the company, and make yourself available to answer questions from potential/current customers, but please refrain from attacking posters who are justifiably suspicious of your attempt to pretend to be something you're not (i.e., an objective customer).

Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics RaceChip Ultimate Tune Thread-screen-shot-2013-05-01-at-9.53.30-pm.jpg   The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics RaceChip Ultimate Tune Thread-screen-shot-2013-05-01-at-9.57.07-pm.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
martincohn:

Just realized.....your peak torque would hit way before redline, so even if the car couldn't hit redline you should have seen gains.

Either some other variable was messing with the numbers or this chip may not be all it's cracked up to be.

They claim 27hp 33 tq at the wheels.....the little chip definitely didn't deliver that.

I'd get to the bottom of it if I were you, especially with the amount of money you paid.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Just realized.....your peak torque would hit way before redline, so even if the car couldn't hit redline you should have seen gains.

Either some other variable was messing with the numbers or this chip may not be all it's cracked up to be.

They claim 27hp 33 tq at the wheels.....the little chip definitely didn't deliver that.

I'd get to the bottom of it if I were you, especially with the amount of money you paid.
Sounds like "JCW Jen" better get ready to open up that fanny pack . . .

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Sounds like "JCW Jen" better get ready to open up that fanny pack . . .

LMAO

I know everyone loves to take jabs, but seriously I just want to see a dyno with the RaceChip and legit mods done.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 AM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DKIKK77

Please provide more info?

Year make model and engine type (N18 or N14)?

And curious what settings when you dynoed. Sport, traction buttons and how did you shift the trans on the dyno.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
So I bought a RaceChip and installed it a week ago. My car hasn't blown up, doesn't surge, no engine lights, just runs/pulls harder, and is an all around blast to drive. Plus it sounds better to boot.

When it blows up my engine you can tell me I told you so. In the mean time, take a deep breath cause it will need to last you awhile

I even threw it on a dyno, didn't get the numbers I hoped but I'm still not gonna take it off or return it.

Have a 2013 JCW Coupe with an automatic. The auto is what stopped me from getting the numbers I was hoping for, but it still FEELS better. And for my daily driver my butt dyno wins. Plus I can remove the chip in a few min and head to the dealer without warranty worries.

208 whp and 203 ft/lbs on my stock JCW on a Dynojet. Only mods were a lower arm torque bushing. With RaceChip in best pull was 203 and 203. The difference was that both the hp and torque lines were smoother and extended out without the bumps, fluctuations that I had without the chip. The air/fuel mix was also smoother and more consistant.

The auto trans definitely hurt me but keeping the wifey happy wins out on that one. The trans would shift too early to allow max of the potential hp and torque gains. Someone with a manual needs to chime in here with their numbers.

Would I do it again, you bet. Do I have any regrets? Only that I can't mess with the auto trans to get the extra RPMs.

Now I gotta to get my Alta FMIC in (it gets hot in TX) and go have some more fun! And look for some more rice burners and Mustangs to smoke off the line. Some of the looks I've been getting are priceless.
You mentioned smoother power on they dyno graph with the chip. I have never felt the stock map be anything but smooth...

I'd be willing to bet that if you did a blind test, (have your mechanic either plug in the chip or remove it, without you knowing) you wouldn't be able to tell AT ALL if that chip was in. Until you do this, we may reasonably conclude the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo effect is to blame for your perceived "bump" in power.

Last edited by borderwave2; 05-02-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Please provide more info?

Year make model and engine type (N18 or N14)?

And curious what settings when you dynoed. Sport, traction buttons and how did you shift the trans on the dyno.
2012 R60S - N18 - fwd - automatic. RENNtech dyno tune on a Dynojet. Sport button on because that is how a RENNtech tune is activated. Car only had a K&n panel filter when tuned. Not sure about traction controls and shifting because the tuner dynoed it. I wasnt in the car. My dyno chart is in my gallery if you want to see it.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
sycd
1st Gear
I'd like to see a dyno plot. Don't know why mini dynamics is not posting theirs.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM
digolfa
3rd Gear
09 jcw

I've spoken to these guys but never get specifics.
I have a rather heavily moded 09 JCW and need a tune.
I think I will give this a try as it is returnable.
I plan to do dyno runs before and after and will report back.
I hope the power turn my face into this

Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have an AP on my 08 MCSa. I was reading this to see the latest developments. I have not run my car on a dyno, and don't plan on doing it. A few things that I have noticed in the time that I've had my Stage 1 tune:

1. The automatic shifts by itself when the engine reaches about 6500. Full auto, manual mode, sport mode, non-sport, always shifts by 6500. Alta told me that they did not try to change auto trans programming, and didn't want to.
2. I don't know if I would notice if it gained nothing or 20 hp at 6000 rpm. Things are happening real quick at that rpm for me in 2nd or 3rd gear.
3. I did notice a significant boost in mid-range torque. From 2500 to about 4000 rpm, there is a very nice improvement. This is what puts the smile on my face.
4. The AP reduced the throttle delay a great deal. I forget how annoying this is until I uninstall it and go to the dealer.
5. Torque steer is a real problem, coming out of a corner and hitting 4000 rpm in 2nd, the car darts all over. It doesn't do that with the stock tune.

FWIW.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 PM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I have an AP on my 08 MCSa. I was reading this to see the latest developments. I have not run my car on a dyno, and don't plan on doing it. A few things that I have noticed in the time that I've had my Stage 1 tune:

1. The automatic shifts by itself when the engine reaches about 6500. Full auto, manual mode, sport mode, non-sport, always shifts by 6500. Alta told me that they did not try to change auto trans programming, and didn't want to.
2. I don't know if I would notice if it gained nothing or 20 hp at 6000 rpm. Things are happening real quick at that rpm for me in 2nd or 3rd gear.
3. I did notice a significant boost in mid-range torque. From 2500 to about 4000 rpm, there is a very nice improvement. This is what puts the smile on my face.
4. The AP reduced the throttle delay a great deal. I forget how annoying this is until I uninstall it and go to the dealer.
5. Torque steer is a real problem, coming out of a corner and hitting 4000 rpm in 2nd, the car darts all over. It doesn't do that with the stock tune.

FWIW.

Have fun,
Mike
Have an auto 2013 JCW Coupe and seeing same shift characteristics with a RaceChip. The NG lower engine torque arm bushing definitely helped with torque steer.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
yz250
Neutral
Do we really care about dyno runs? I care about its acceleration. It's not how much power you make but how you make the power. What is the difference in 0-60 or 1/4 mile, lap times etc. That is what i'm looking for. If all i get out of a tune is wheel spin an torque steer what good is it. I'm just saying sometimes the butt dyno is equally important.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yz250
Do we really care about dyno runs? I care about its acceleration. It's not how much power you make but how you make the power. What is the difference in 0-60 or 1/4 mile, lap times etc. That is what i'm looking for. If all i get out of a tune is wheel spin an torque steer what good is it. I'm just saying sometimes the butt dyno is equally important.
Totally agree. Was just saying the lower arm bushing calmed the torque steer which does end up with a more controlled launch and/or WOT out of a turn.

I like the dyno for the numbers evidence nothing more.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Dynos are good to see multiple parameters to ensure the car is in good health. They're also good to see deltas....did this part gain or lose power.

Amazes me how many people tune a vehicle with an OTS tune/chip and don't question what's going on in the car. "Oh it feels faster so it's all good", not necessarily. Is it making more power safely or is it leaned out too much, too rich etc.

P.S.

Miss my 2 stroke, wishing I never sold it lol

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics RaceChip Ultimate Tune Thread