Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics ECU Tune Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by borderwave2
http://www.minidynamics.com/ECU-Tuni...ems-s/1514.htm

$700 for 20hp piggyback? Mini owners get the shaft once again...
Look at NM($500), BrenTuning($695), and Evolve($800). RennTech is crazy to think $945 for their tune is a solid sale pitch lol. NM is a bit more canned, IMO. BrenTuning and Evolve(dealer in the U.S.) have a custom tune, specified to your mods.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahahahahah all that build up for nothing..

Renntech is as much as it is for a reason. You will get the most power and gains from them along with the fact they have been tuning cars for years successfully.

Maybe one day there will be a better solution for the N18.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I get the same power put down from BrenTuning and Evolve buddy, at a cheaper price and great customer service. Two of my buddies who drive a Subie have zero issues with Bren. So for $695 and $800 is a good bargain IMO.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I get the same power put down from BrenTuning and Evolve buddy, at a cheaper price and great customer service. Two of my buddies who drive a Subie have zero issues with Bren. So for $695 and $800 is a good bargain IMO.
I would include evolve. I meant over most of the other options I have seen.

there is a reason some of these places are more, granted i find most of the prices high..

but you think our tunes are expensive go look at some high end car tunes and look at the 1400-3000 they can pay.

What are evolves numbers WHP/WTQ once tuned?

And MD is it 20BHP or 20WHP.. 20BHP isnt very much and would hardly be noticeable.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood

I would include evolve. I meant over most of the other options I have seen.

there is a reason some of these places are more, granted i find most of the prices high..

but you think our tunes are expensive go look at some high end car tunes and look at the 1400-3000 they can pay.

What are evolves numbers WHP/WTQ once tuned?

And MD is it 20BHP or 20WHP.. 20BHP isnt very much and would hardly be noticeable.
I just don't see the value for it when BrenTuning has the same numbers for a cheaper price. I just can't come to terms with that. Evolve has some very good numbers, obviously their tune isn't canned like NM. I will get the information exactly from evolve today. I'm calling to ask a few more questions I need answered.

Oh believe me, people with AMG's are paying over $2k lol, no thanks! If I had a GT-R, I don't care then I will pay that money since I wouldn't really need to add much to tune the car. But I get your point.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
I just don't see the value for it when BrenTuning has the same numbers for a cheaper price. I just can't come to terms with that. Evolve has some very good numbers, obviously their tune isn't canned like NM. I will get the information exactly from evolve today. I'm calling to ask a few more questions I need answered.

Oh believe me, people with AMG's are paying over $2k lol, no thanks! If I had a GT-R, I don't care then I will pay that money since I wouldn't really need to add much to tune the car. But I get your point.
Tuned gt-r.. totally off topic.. but totally relevant to life.

I agree on paying less, hence why I went to RMW for my R56 ($500 - N14). VS the $895 for the AP to make less power.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuned gt-r.. totally off topic.. but totally relevant to life.

I agree on paying less, hence why I went to RMW for my R56 ($500 - N14). VS the $895 for the AP to make less power.
I'm still waiting for a hardware tuner that will give me functions like logging and multiple maps. Like accesport but less dead...

Funny you should mention the GTR, Prices for an R56 tune vs. a handheld tuner for a GTR are not all that different.

Accesport for the GTR is $895

Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by borderwave2
I'm still waiting for a hardware tuner that will give me functions like logging and multiple maps. Like accesport but less dead...

Funny you should mention the GTR, Prices for an R56 tune vs. a handheld tuner for a GTR are not all that different.

Accesport for the GTR is $895
Haha, I would never run an AP or a Cobb product. Just my opinion lots of tuners out there I would rather have touch my car whether its an R56 or an R35.

I am waiting for a standalone ECU so I can run a bigger turbo.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear

I always like the 'value' proposition (bang-for-the-buck).

But overall pricing should be in line with the market the vehicle serves. So like 2% of the average fleet cost. Thus a Mini around 35K would run $700 but a BMW around 60K would be $1200...funny how it doesn't work that way.

Instead it seems to be based more on total units produced (far less Minis vs Bimmers). So kind of a supply for demand model. So say a company has to recoup R&D and manufacturing costs of X and the estimated unit sales rate is Y. Then X/Y=Z which breaks even so add the profit to that and you have your pricing.

Problem is the smaller the Y the greater the Z

Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

Haha, I would never run an AP or a Cobb product. Just my opinion lots of tuners out there I would rather have touch my car whether its an R56 or an R35.

I am waiting for a standalone ECU so I can run a bigger turbo.
I'd rather dyno tune my MINI, but I don't live near RennTech or BrenTuning:-(.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
I always like the 'value' proposition (bang-for-the-buck).

But overall pricing should be in line with the market the vehicle serves. So like 2% of the average fleet cost. Thus a Mini around 35K would run $700 but a BMW around 60K would be $1200...funny how it doesn't work that way.

Instead it seems to be based more on total units produced (far less Minis vs Bimmers). So kind of a supply for demand model. So say a company has to recoup R&D and manufacturing costs of X and the estimated unit sales rate is Y. Then X/Y=Z which breaks even so add the profit to that and you have your pricing.

Problem is the smaller the Y the greater the Z
If they were thinking long term, they would decrease their profit margins and allow for the product to be priced more similar to the BMW market. That way, more people can afford it.....more people mod cars....more people buy MINI....and then "Y" increases so in the future that margin increases.

Unfortunately it seems backwards where the market cultivation starts with MINI owners paying whatever cost for whatever is available. Slow growth, vicious cycle.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cost is one thing, consider the quality as well.

Its easy to make power if you just crank the boost up. But, there are also a lot of other factors that go into a safe tune.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Cost is one thing, consider the quality as well.

Its easy to make power if you just crank the boost up. But, there are also a lot of other factors that go into a safe tune.
That's the reason I brought up Evolve, RennTech, NM, and BrenTuning as the quality tunes out there.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RennTech is new to me. I am probably switching to Evolve from the AP. Just sick of it.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yeah I hear you. If you want a custom tune and not canned, Evolve, Renn, and BrenTuning are the ones you want. NM has a canned tune.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Manic
Neutral
All I have wanted since getting my MCS is to find a top tuner, someone to rival the level of tuning previously available to me on my VAG cars, someone who could flash both N14 and N18 at my local dealer without shipping my ECU. Someone who is going to give me 200 plus WHP on a bone stock car, no boost cuts, no rough idle, something that's not just an "everything turned up" tune. Someone who has a proven track record and Something that has had some serious testing, I don't want a car that's fast for 5 minutes then heat soaks and disappoints me or gets rubbish MPG either. I want it switchable like Revo Technik or APR do for VAG so I can switch to stock and the dealer can't tell by driving it. no risky re-flashing between modes on my driveway and carting a lap top around and a battery charger. In car instant switching. Oh and I didn't want to be paying an over inflated price either.......
So that's what I got and my car is MANIC! Better than I had wished for and word on the streets is that soon, you will be able to have it too.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Manic
All I have wanted since getting my MCS is to find a top tuner, someone to rival the level of tuning previously available to me on my VAG cars, someone who could flash both N14 and N18 at my local dealer without shipping my ECU. Someone who is going to give me 200 plus WHP on a bone stock car, no boost cuts, no rough idle, something that's not just an "everything turned up" tune. Someone who has a proven track record and Something that has had some serious testing, I don't want a car that's fast for 5 minutes then heat soaks and disappoints me or gets rubbish MPG either. I want it switchable like Revo Technik or APR do for VAG so I can switch to stock and the dealer can't tell by driving it. no risky re-flashing between modes on my driveway and carting a lap top around and a battery charger. In car instant switching. Oh and I didn't want to be paying an over inflated price either.......
So that's what I got and my car is MANIC! Better than I had wished for and word on the streets is that soon, you will be able to have it too.
Show me a single VAG car gaining 200WHP from a tune first. Since I have had one. You really know nothing about what you are talking about if you are comparing canned Rev and APR tunes to MINI tunes. As VAG cars have literally 0 ability to be dyno tuned without going standalone or using Eurodyne.

My MINI tune is 100% custom and a dyno tune. A revo/apr tune on a VAG car is no different than throwing the AP on a MINI. Luckily we have an option for dyno tuning the VAG community doesnt. I had a Revo tuned MK5 making just under 300whp.

You need to rethink what you wrote cause you are wrong all over the place. I come from MK5 and MK6 cars.

Oh an some of the MINI tuners do have track records, work for race teams and have fully developed track test products. Again, check your facts before coming in to slam a community and say something is better that you cannot compare.

Thanks.

Please tell me you are going to be the one to come try to sell everyone on this tuning. I will laugh this away, it is your first post and its about how amazing this supposed product is.. i smell fish.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Manic

dyno sheet before and after or it did not happen

Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm especially interested in the 'bone stock' car that is not 'fast for 5 minutes then heat soaks'. That must be some really new technology to overcome the stock FMIC on a MINI. I'd like to learn more about a tune that prevents heat soak, maybe I won't have to install my Helix FMIC.

Mike

Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I'm especially interested in the 'bone stock' car that is not 'fast for 5 minutes then heat soaks'. That must be some really new technology to overcome the stock FMIC on a MINI. I'd like to learn more about a tune that prevents heat soak, maybe I won't have to install my Helix FMIC.

Mike
mike

i have this "tonic" i bought at the state fair ... add 1 oz to the oil ... no more heat soak

and if you get a cold and have a cough, add 1 oz to a cup of tea ... no more cough

and if you mix 1 oz to a quart of water it is the best brake dust cleaner in the world!

only $19.95 for 22 oz bottle

scott

Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
dyno sheet before and after or it did not happen
+1

Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1
+2 Pic or it didn't happen.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
It's always awkward when companies sign up for forums and try to comment like they're satisfied customers of their own products. :(

Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
It's always awkward when companies sign up for forums and try to comment like they're satisfied customers of their own products. :(
That's always amusing to me too, I think half the people on here feel that way!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Manic
Neutral
It's amazing some people are so good at typing when they can't read.

I didn't say other mini tuners are rubbish, some of them are very good. Some of them know exactly what they are doing.

I didn't say I can tune it so you won't need an intercooler.

I didn't say I wanted a 200whp gain on a stock car.

I am sure some of you do know more about VAG tuning and mini tuning than me, obviously because you joined before me and used to drive a Golf. Lol.

Read into my comment and make of it what you will, I purchased my mini in 2011 and as I worked as GSM for a well known VAG tuner and had a stage 3 mk 6 development car as my daily driver, so the mini felt a bit slow. I know I wanted a tune like I had on my Golf. Nobody offered it (not everybody else was rubbish, they just didn't offer what I wanted). Now it's 2013 and I do have it, I believe there are others who want the same, Iwas interested in this thread to see if Something like this was being launched in the US. I joined because I wanted to tell the Mini community that if that's what they want then I have something interesting. I sent a message regarding site sponsorship and think its only fair I put that in place before I start posting further info.

Dyno info will of course follow for those genuinely interested. The more choice and tunes out there only gives consumers more choice. Competition is good and if I say I have something good, I'm not automatically saying everything else is bad.

Of course, if that isn't what you want and you are happy with what you have, awesome. I am sure you know best, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics ECU Tune Thread