Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DIY Engine Cleaning (Intake Valves)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well......after another 4 hours, I got about 85% of the blasting done. I gave up and starting putting it back together. Hopefully it will run okay tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 AM
blakeslee_a
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the dealer stocks the two tools used for carbon cleaning? I am hoping to do the cleaning this weekend as I am getting a tune next weekend and want max performance

Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Well, I got everything back together, went to start it and no go. It cranks but seems like no spark. I checked all connections, but will check again. I pretty mechanically inclined but this carbon blasting got the best of me. I ran the battery down, is on a charger now.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakeslee_a
Does anyone know if the dealer stocks the two tools used for carbon cleaning? I am hoping to do the cleaning this weekend as I am getting a tune next weekend and want max performance
If you refer to post #27 in this thread and open the DIY PDF that I posted there is a link to a bimmer post that has a source for the tools listed HOWEVER there are two basic types of blasting setups. One is the cheaper venturi type I used. The other that the dealer uses is a pressure pot system where the walnut shells are placed in a pressurized tank and the media is blasted out of the tank. This is a much more expensive system.

I am not sure if the BMW tools will work with the cheaper venturi guns so some experimentation may be required.

Last edited by gawannamini; 09-12-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Redhotz
Well, I got everything back together, went to start it and no go. It cranks but seems like no spark. I checked all connections, but will check again. I pretty mechanically inclined but this carbon blasting got the best of me. I ran the battery down, is on a charger now.
Do you have access to an OBD code reader? It should tell you what is faulting. I would review Texasmontego's post (link included in my write up in post #27) and make sure every connection is intact. He has excellent pictures in his post.

My engine started immediately after cleaning. It idled a bit rough for about a minute as the computer compensated for the improved breathing. I also detected a slight wood burning smell in the exhaust (smelled great!) for a few seconds as the fine walnut dust burned. This may have affected the O2 sensors for a few seconds.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I got a pressurized media blaster at Harbor Freight. They have discounts all the time, mine cost $90. You can buy crushed walnut shell there too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-...ter-69724.html

Dave

Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 AM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Do you have access to an OBD code reader? It should tell you what is faulting. I would review Texasmontego's post (link included in my write up in post #27) and make sure every connection is intact. He has excellent pictures in his post.

My engine started immediately after cleaning. It idled a bit rough for about a minute as the computer compensated for the improved breathing. I also detected a slight wood burning smell in the exhaust (smelled great!) for a few seconds as the fine walnut dust burned. This may have affected the O2 sensors for a few seconds.
I can't check the code without the engine running. I will check everything out today.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
I had the Mini towed because I couldn't start it after the carbon cleaning. I took it to a BMW/MINi repair shop. Luckily, the problem was that somehow I flooded the engine with gasoline trying to start it. The spark plugs were wet with fuel. They cleaned the plugs, ( I just replaced them a month ago), and cleaned out the cylinders of fuel. It started right up, they said, and it runs like a champ now. Thank God it was nothing major. I'm back to a happy camper now

Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM
cowboy3500
1st Gear
I finally got my extraction adapter and I can't wait to hit the intake with walnut shells. If anybody else has been waiting a long time for the components to do the job, let me know. I went ahead and ordered a couple extra BMW extraction adapters for those who want them. They are $70 plus $5 shipping. PM me if I can help you...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM
mikereali
1st Gear
Must Have this

Originally Posted by NY_R56
The vacuum attachment works great. If your doing your own walnut blasting its pretty much required and the nozzle as well. The cleaning wand is designed pretty good. I thought it was a expensive bent tubing.
The vacuum attachment and nozzle go together before you put it in the intake valves. Once the vacuum attachment is in. There is no way to accidentally back out the nozzle to the point the wand comes out and blasts walnut everywhere.

I had some on the forms say to use a brush and some engine cleaner to clean the valves because it was quicker and cleaner. I tried to clean cylinder 1 on my MINI while waiting for the attachment to come in. After 20 minutes of scrubbing, it removed very little carbon, then I gave up. When I used my walnut blaster, I was curious how much a 15 second walnut blast would take off, well the valves were almost spotless. Don't believe me, watch the videos and see in how long it took me to clean them.

Here's a couple of video I did showing how long it takes to decently clean one cylinder. Sorry for the blurriness of the video, stupid autofocus didn't quite work.
Couldn't figure out how it would take more than 3 hours to clean the intake valves. Dam the dealer make alot of money off this cleaning, $900 - $5 in walnut media and less than a hour or so in labor = at least $750 profit. Since I know how to do it now, I could charge like half that and still make a killing.

Cleaning Cylinder 4
http://youtu.be/Ml-869AE_mA

Cleaning Cylinder 2
http://youtu.be/sN_GOrnhUiY

Good luck to anyone trying to walnut blast clean their valves.

NOTE: Don't forget to check to see if your valves are closed before doing this, you don't want walnuts going into you cylinder. How I checked is taking all the spark plugs out and using my mouth I tried to blow air in to see if it had pressure in the cylinder. If it didn't leak, I knew it was closed, if it did I get in my Mini and try to turn over the engine and check again.
I don't know if it would of made a difference in cleaning the carbon off. I did the cleaning after a drive to get some walnut media so the engine was all warmed up. I didn't mind the engine heat since it was 45 degrees outside.

Videos aren't available on YouTube any longer.

Any chance we can get a look at your setup? I have my R56 in the shop for walnut blasting for the second time in 18 months. Silly waste of money.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 AM
kawalabear
1st Gear
Tried to watch the videos but they come up as "unavailable" on YouTube.
Want to visit beautiful New Jersey and do my engine? I've got no compression on Cylinder #2...
;-)

Old 12-08-2013, 12:35 AM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
Turn the ratchet clockwise or counterclockwise?

Rob

Yes- in the write up I show how to access the crankshaft pulley bolt with a ratchet wrench thru the right wheel well. You can turn the engine easily with standard handle length.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
gatorbait01
1st Gear
I'm in the process of walnut blasting mine now. What's the best way to get behind the valve or should I just leave it? Also, if a couple walnut bits get stuck in the carbon deposits behind the valve and I put it back together would that cause and issue?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BC_Rob
Turn the ratchet clockwise or counterclockwise?

Rob

Sorry for the slow response - I have been offline.

You can turn it either way. It is no different that putting a manual transmission car in gear and pushing the car slightly forward or backward to turn the engine.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:30 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gatorbait01
I'm in the process of walnut blasting mine now. What's the best way to get behind the valve or should I just leave it? Also, if a couple walnut bits get stuck in the carbon deposits behind the valve and I put it back together would that cause and issue?

By varying the angle of the blaster nozzle I was able to remove almost all of the buildup that is partially shielded by the valve stem. This makes the walnut bits bounce around at different angles.

It does not have to be perfectly clean and a I don't think few tiny walnut bits are not going to hurt anything. If they get loose they will be immediately incinerated. I could actually detect a very slight scent of wood burning in the exhaust immediately after the first start :-)

Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
That makes sense! All ready to give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Rob

Sorry for the slow response - I have been offline.

You can turn it either way. It is no different that putting a manual transmission car in gear and pushing the car slightly forward or backward to turn the engine.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 PM
gatorbait01
1st Gear
Did mine and it worked great. I did a combo of the walnut shell blasting and manual scrubbing. The hardest part for me was to get the screw at the bottom of the manifold back in. Other than that it was pretty straightforward. I was paranoid that I didn't have the valve totally shut especially w/ all that gunk in there. I triple checked it and sprayed some cleaner in there and verified the cleaner would pool and not drain out. Thanks for all the info.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:03 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gatorbait01
Did mine and it worked great. I did a combo of the walnut shell blasting and manual scrubbing. The hardest part for me was to get the screw at the bottom of the manifold back in. Other than that it was pretty straightforward. I was paranoid that I didn't have the valve totally shut especially w/ all that gunk in there. I triple checked it and sprayed some cleaner in there and verified the cleaner would pool and not drain out. Thanks for all the info.
I had the best luck with the knee brace bolt from underneath with right front wheel removed (use jack stands!). I put the bolt into a socket with short extension and used electrical tape to keep bolt in socket. This gave me a "handle" to better control the screw. The manifold has to wiggle a bit to get bolt threads to line up. This IS a frustrating bolt!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Kannikamini
1st Gear
Awesome write up we will do it to ours soon we bought our baby used so I'm sure its time to wallnut blast it
Anybody use the harbor freight kit that was provided on the link on page 2?I wanna know if that's a good route

Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
That's what I used... worked great!
Originally Posted by Kannikamini
Awesome write up we will do it to ours soon we bought our baby used so I'm sure its time to wallnut blast it
Anybody use the harbor freight kit that was provided on the link on page 2?I wanna know if that's a good route

Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Kannikamini
1st Gear
Thanks so much for the quick reply we just bought it it's used but it's so much fun to drive around we love it also did that machine let you do the behind the valves easily??
We are new to minis and to here and now we are doing most of the preventive maintenance since the owner before us took really good care and leave the car in pretty good condition so far we only had to change the stock clutch and we are at 47k miles we also just change the oil lines thanks to Detroit tuned kit and just installed a scangauge2 to check motor temperature and boost (temperature reaching 222° sounds OK in this car?) and change oil to royal purple 5w30 on the motor and royal purple synchromaxx into the transmission: ) other then that we just notice that the Turbo coolant line it's showing some surface rust and now we wanna do the walnut treatment to prevent any sour times in the future since I'm sure they never did this on our vehicle

Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Kannikamini
1st Gear
Sweet!!how does it work behind the valves??any trouble getting in there?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 AM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
It cleans everywhere but it can take some time to get the last few bits behind the valve stems. I really enjoyed the process.
Good luck!

Last edited by BC_Rob; 01-11-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:19 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
I am contemplating doing this myself, I have never done anything like this, but plan on buying all the parts My question is, where does the Mini adapter go? Directly on the shopvac? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:15 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Great thread, surprised it isn't more active given the scope of this issue. Maybe there's another thread I'm missing or are people uncomfortable doing this job themselves?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DIY Engine Cleaning (Intake Valves)