Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installing DT Bypass valve, what else should I do while its open?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM
scatpack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing DT Bypass valve, what else should I do while its open?

Im planning on doing the Detroit Tuned Bypass switch... what else might you suggest I do while i have the guts out? Replace gaskets, clean, etc?

Id rather not dissassemble it twice, might as well do more while its open. (even a simple plug/wire replacement counts)

Thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would clean out the IC and change the boots as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM
scatpack
4th Gear
How do you clean the Intercooler?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM
daflake
6th Gear
When you pull it off, it will likely have a film of oil in it. I sealed one end with rubber bands and plastic then used trichloroethylene (just a little) to swirl it around in the IC. Then simply dump it out and let it dry for about an hour while you do the other work. You could use any part degreaser as well.

A clean IC will help with heat transfers.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the condition of the intercooler boots. They deteriorate and crack over time. If it seems to be alot, or it seems they will fail soon, replace them. Don't bother with aftermarket silicone ones. Way told me they don't seal well. Stick with OEM; I picked up a new set when I installed my GP IC.

Be prepared for the launch effect. Just tapping the gas a bit will cause that DT BPV to slam shut. It will take a little practice to feather it if you're just doing normal daily traffic driving.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
If you cannot find or dont have trichloroethylene, I just use the RED can of CRC brake clean....it's under pressure, works wonderfully, dries with no film residue.

Spray it out and let it stand and drip dry. If you are pressed for time, you can blow some compressed air thru it.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 AM
ACallahan
5th Gear
I just used engine degreaser hosed it out and let it sit in the sun to dry. Before you do all of this though, I would like to say I really did not notice a difference when I installed the DTBV and was kind of pissed I dropped $125 on it. Just saying...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 AM
scatpack
4th Gear
I already ordered new boots. I was having the yoyo effect so it may be leaking already

What about the m7 gel blanket? Or the vacuum hose reroute?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ACallahan
I just used engine degreaser hosed it out and let it sit in the sun to dry. Before you do all of this though, I would like to say I really did not notice a difference when I installed the DTBV and was kind of pissed I dropped $125 on it. Just saying...
Not sure what difference you thought you would see. Some of the factory valves were actually working properly (closing all the way) so it is possible that all you did was install a valve that had a stronger spring. That being said, some of us had valves that were not working properly and closing all the way so we gained some HP via more boost. I noticed a difference but it wasn't a "my god this car rocks" difference.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
While you have it apart, you may want to consider changing the Throttle Body gasket as well. It'll be right there.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
also check for any cracks in the plastic welds of your throttle body tube. they have been known to weaken and leak around the BPV connection.

the M7 aero gel heat shield, my buddy had one. claimed it was too thick, and when installed actually prevented air from passing through the IC, making it run hot... so, be careful. better than that, would be to get some hi temp paint and paint your IC. studies have shown this to be a very cost effective way to make the IC more efficient.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scatpack
I already ordered new boots. I was having the yoyo effect so it may be leaking already
The yo-yo effect is not from a leak. It's from a weak spring in the diaphragm of the stock BPV.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by blue2turbo
While you have it apart, you may want to consider changing the Throttle Body gasket as well. It'll be right there.
TB Gasket ?

Really ? Never ever heard of anyone changing it or one failing before......can you point me to a thread on that ?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can somebody tell me what's the yoyo effect?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by scoopy
can somebody tell me what's the yoyo effect?
Pretty much a throttle body ''oscillation'', some people experience it more than others. Seems like a lot of people fixed it with a DT bypass valve.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
Pretty much a throttle body ''oscillation'', some people experience it more than others. Seems like a lot of people fixed it with a DT bypass valve.
like the feeling when you are driving the car and you start pumping the accelerator? i change my bypass vale with the dt bypass valve but still experiencing something (not sure if that is the yoyo effect) when you step on the gas pedal (wot) on 2nd gear sometimes the car will like "jerk" feeling like it will go fast then slow then fast then slow...

Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scoopy
like the feeling when you are driving the car and you start pumping the accelerator? i change my bypass vale with the dt bypass valve but still experiencing something (not sure if that is the yoyo effect) when you step on the gas pedal (wot) on 2nd gear sometimes the car will like "jerk" feeling like it will go fast then slow then fast then slow...
that's called the rev limiter! (kidding...)

Every once in a while I have a slight "yoyo" effect in second between 2k and 3k under light acceleration (my boost gauge reads ~0 if not a little under). I'm probably going to look into the BPV eventually, but as of right now, I doubt anyone would notice it but me (I'm hyper-attentive to ANYTHING going on with my car and a bit of a "hypochondriac" when it comes to anything automotive).

Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
that's called the rev limiter! (kidding...)

Every once in a while I have a slight "yoyo" effect in second between 2k and 3k under light acceleration (my boost gauge reads ~0 if not a little under). I'm probably going to look into the BPV eventually, but as of right now, I doubt anyone would notice it but me (I'm hyper-attentive to ANYTHING going on with my car and a bit of a "hypochondriac" when it comes to anything automotive).
well like that you are hitting the limiter then it will slow down then fast again. like you hit the limiter twice in a span of a second.. like if you are on a 2nd gear at 2k rpm, then you go wot you will see the car kinda like hitting the limiter but that's only until 2krpm -3500 rpm

Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
scatpack
4th Gear
My yoyo effect:

In second gear, at full throttle, between 4k and 5k rpm, the engine will feel like its misfiring or stumbling.