Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain is the JCW tuning kit worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
mini_stig
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the JCW tuning kit worth it?

Is the tuning kit worth it? The cheapest I can find it for is ~$1900 w/o install. Is the exhaust in the JCW kit a catback or turboback? Performance wise would it make more sense to get an aftermarket tune + intake + exhaust? A definite pro for me is that the JCW tuning kit does not void factory warranty..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
timwu12
Banned
i think the exhaust is just the rear muffler, not cat nor turbo back

and for the money you're spending on the kit, i think it'd make more sense to get a softloading tune with an aftermarket exhaust and intake. The soft tune will let you revert back to stock in case you need to bring the car in

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
i got the JCW tune and was impressed with the gains but expensive for $2500, then I got a RMW tune for $800 and it blew my pants off with the gains and I instantly regetted the tuning kit. whenever I needed warranty work, just re-load the stock tune then after put the RMW one back on ASAP.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll find good info on this on the forum, I know I've previously posted a few writeups about having the kit on my 2012 MCS.

I thought it transformed my car, compared to a stock MCS, and the exhaust sound is perfect to my ears. Is also still warranteed by MINI. You're buying a new rear muffler with cool tips, an improved intake, an exhaust manifold, and the factory tune. Oh, and a couple of cool exterior badges and a number plate for your engine.

It'd be swell to be able to load / offload tunes, however if yours is a newer car (N18) there isn't yet the AccessPort-like ease of tuning; available tunes need to be loaded by a shop at this point, or send in your chip. Unless something's changed in the last month or so; I haven't been paying attention to the AccessPort thread.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd only get it if you REALLY are worried about warranty implications. If you don't mind diving in with both feet by all means wait till the N18 tunes from Cobb and Evolve are available. They are very close to being complete. You'll have a much better bang for you buck with an aftermarket tune and exhaust.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, I think it is too pricey for what you get even with the warranty.

I have a stage 1 kit on my 2008 MCS. At the time, there was not a lot available, but now there is a lot more to choose from. There is only three things you need for improved power that is reliable, a milder tune, an exhaust and an IC. The rest is more or less a waste of money. No boost tubey things, no hot air intakes etc.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Yea I called my dealer and they said it was about a 10hr job..so total would come out close to 4,000.

(In my head)....they're on crack!!

In reality the only thing that's giving you that extra power is that tune in the package.

It's not even a full catback, and the air filter is just a K&N drop in..that's what my dealer told me. Then a bunch of JCW badges.

So...roughly $3,800 for a tune??.....yea I'll wait for the soft tune for N18's

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
What moron dealer was that? I'll make sure I never go there...

The tuning kit is a new air filter housing and filter. (.5hrs)

rear exhaust, from the second cat back. (1 hr) Cut old exhaust pipe, install new muffler, clamp together... Install the tips...

reflash the ECU, (however long that may take, but usually 1.5hrs.) and then add some badges.

As to is it worth it? Depends! To some people, having NO ISSUE with ANY warranty claim is worth the cost. There is something to be said for piece of mind.

As for the performance/$ probably not. And any performance you gain, is going to be restricted by the factory intercooler limitations.

If you are willing to possible give up warranty coverage or you are out of warranty, the aftermarket has better, less expensive options. (for the N14 engine)

Alta, Forge, Helix intercooler... RMW, Alta tuning, and pick your turbo back exhaust, along with a hi flow air filter for the stock housing. For about 2/3 of the JCW tuning kit. (a lot less if you pick them up used...)

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
What moron dealer was that? I'll make sure I never go there...

The tuning kit is a new air filter housing and filter. (.5hrs)

rear exhaust, from the second cat back. (1 hr) Cut old exhaust pipe, install new muffler, clamp together... Install the tips...

reflash the ECU, (however long that may take, but usually 1.5hrs.) and then add some badges.

As to is it worth it? Depends! To some people, having NO ISSUE with ANY warranty claim is worth the cost. There is something to be said for piece of mind.

As for the performance/$ probably not. And any performance you gain, is going to be restricted by the factory intercooler limitations.

If you are willing to possible give up warranty coverage or you are out of warranty, the aftermarket has better, less expensive options. (for the N14 engine)

Alta, Forge, Helix intercooler... RMW, Alta tuning, and pick your turbo back exhaust, along with a hi flow air filter for the stock housing. For about 2/3 of the JCW tuning kit. (a lot less if you pick them up used...)
I believe the filter is still a drop in, you only really get the cover that says JCW on it.
And don't forget they give you a new exhaust manifold...now I know for a fact that it is a pita because most of the front end has to come off to get to that.
Now it's a dealer...of course they'll take their sweet time for the whole installation.

Not sure what hourly rates are for other states, but in California it's about 140/150 an hour.

Regardless I wouldn't get it

Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
AFAIK there is no new exhaust manifold.

The kit is a new filter assembly, (not just a top), the rear exhaust and tips, and tuning...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear

The kit is a new filter assembly, (not just a top), the rear exhaust and tips, and tuning...
I just called my dealer last week and that's what they said...maybe it only applies to N18's. Don't think my dealer would lie about that.

Also just found this on Way's website
http://www.waymotorworks.com/jcw-joh...-for-2011.html

This is actually exactly what my dealer told me comes with a tuning kit.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
if you have the N14 then you don't need to worry about warranty with a new tune. just reflash to stock everytime you take it to the dealer. thats all i ever did and had no probs.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I just called my dealer last week and that's what they said...maybe it only applies to N18's. Don't think my dealer would lie about that.

Also just found this on Way's website
http://www.waymotorworks.com/jcw-joh...-for-2011.html

This is actually exactly what my dealer told me comes with a tuning kit.

The link contradicts your post. There quite clearly is an exhaust manifold in both the photo and the list.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
The link contradicts your post. There quite clearly is an exhaust manifold in both the photo and the list.
how am I contradicting myself?
I'm the one who said it comes with a new exhaust manifold and gave a link to prove it.

Unless you're talking about the other guy.....I'm confused lol

Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
how am I contradicting myself?
I'm the one who said it comes with a new exhaust manifold and gave a link to prove it.

Unless you're talking about the other guy.....I'm confused lol
The first guy said it does not have an exhaust manifold and you said your dealer told you exactly the same thing, which I figured meant "no exhaust manifold", but the link includes an exhaust manifold.

(that's one each for Me, Myself, and I - we're all confused)

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Ooh, did you read post #9, thats what my dealer said as in yes, it does infact come with an exhaust manifold.

Which is why installation would take so long...dealer will take their sweet time with it.

Hope that clears everything up lol

Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Sorry I was talking about the N14 kit, not the N18 kit.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm anticipating the arrival of the JCW Tuning Kit for my 2011 Clubman (N18 engine). The install quote from my dealer is for 10 hours of labor because the N18 kit does include a new exhaust manifold, which requires removal of the turbo. Ironically, the MINI USA website still lists install time as 3 hours, so it apparently has not been updated since the N18 engines were released.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are around the Philadelphia, PA area, Mini of the Main Line has a limited time special going on the JCW Tuning kit right now: $1883.84 INSTALLED. (This is ONLY for 2007-2010s.)

http://www.minimainline.com/Accessories-Specials

I had mine done there in May. I love it! Definitely the way to go if you are concerned about warranty.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
thunderball kaboom
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Mini of Tempe (Arizona) is discounting any JCW part/accessory/install by 25% through July 30th.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM
doug@frankenturbo
Former Vendor
My understanding is that the JCW Tuning kit was initially offered with a replacement manifold. Sourced from the larger JCW turbo, it has a higher nickel content for better heat resistance. But this was a marginal benefit, and the expense of installation caused them to re-think the kit. The manifold got dropped.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo
My understanding is that the JCW Tuning kit was initially offered with a replacement manifold. Sourced from the larger JCW turbo, it has a higher nickel content for better heat resistance. But this was a marginal benefit, and the expense of installation caused them to re-think the kit. The manifold got dropped.
Never heard that one before...

There are two different JCW Tuning Kits for the R56 now ['07-'10 and '11+]. They are not interchangeable AFAIK as the software is not compatible between the two different ECUs.

If you have a 2007-2010 MCS, your JCW Tuning Kit comes with no manifold.

If you have a 2011+ MCS, your JCW Tuning Kit comes with a new turbo/exhaust manifold. But your install labor costs will probably be higher as a result.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
turbospeeder
Neutral
FYI 11122208028 is the part number of the N18 tuning kit. My local dealer quoted me about $2200 installed. Since the price is marked as installed in their system, I assume that's exactly how much you gonna pay for the kit, no matter how many labor hours it might take.

P.S. Personally I don't think it's a bad deal, it comes with a tune, airbox(though just ak&n filter), cat-back exhaust, exhaust manifold. For $2200 installed, it gets you 200+HP with warranty and a little higher resale value. For aftermarket parts, AP plus a exhaust system is gonna cost you at least $1500 anyways. Also, in my point of view, it's pretty risky to have aftermarket tunes on N18 engines.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing the dealer won't tell you is it the Factory JCW comes with a mild port and polished head, Lower compression pistons, bigger turbo and thats 208 (N18 211?) Hp at the crank. I would guess you would be somewhere in the range in 200 Hp and maybe 170-175 Hp at the wheels. On the other hand you could spent that money on parts that are designed to show gains even above the JCW equipment. You will see a bigger gain from a Turbo back than you will from the JCW cat back. The JCW intake would probably be worth it (IMO). The tune is a mild factory tune and you would make more power from the AP or RMW stage 1 tunes once they are available. You could spent that $2200 on just parts w/o a tune and make the same if not more power and then get a tune once they are available.

-Brian

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 AM
turbospeeder
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
The thing the dealer won't tell you is it the Factory JCW comes with a mild port and polished head, Lower compression pistons, bigger turbo and thats 208 (N18 211?) Hp at the crank. I would guess you would be somewhere in the range in 200 Hp and maybe 170-175 Hp at the wheels. On the other hand you could spent that money on parts that are designed to show gains even above the JCW equipment. You will see a bigger gain from a Turbo back than you will from the JCW cat back. The JCW intake would probably be worth it (IMO). The tune is a mild factory tune and you would make more power from the AP or RMW stage 1 tunes once they are available. You could spent that $2200 on just parts w/o a tune and make the same if not more power and then get a tune once they are available.

-Brian
You are absolutely right about the aftermarket tuning and parts. But JCW tuning gets you great sound, enough HP gain for street use, factory warranty, trouble-free mod, zero research commitment. Plus JCW tuning kit also comes with a exhaust manifold, which is probably the only other legit exhaust manifold mod besides WMW's.

So why not? It is that simple! Great for people who has a newer Mini that still has plenty of warranty left and for those who leased their Mini. Cost-wise, though it's a little bit pricy. But a decent aftermarket exhaust is $800, and AP tune is another $800. Total $1600, and labor is not included. For the extra $600 you spend on the JCW kit, you get the factory warranty and JCW pride along with tune/manifold/Intake. Personally, I know it's a BMW, so I'm glad I have warranty. Besides the waterpump recall, my R56 had a thermostat failure, which was a 3.5+ hour repair.

On the other hand, real HP gains come from modded downpipe and tune. But they also get you in troubles. Cat-less downpipe gets you engine code, it probably will void warranty, and it will definitely not pass CARB emission tests. ECU flash will probably void warranty as well, and more aggressive tune will also result in sooner engine rebuild.

I consider FJCW a different car with a better foundation. It raises R56's limit, so that you can extract more HP out of it with aftermarket parts and tunes. Though it's only 208HP, it's engine block, head, exhaust, etc allow you make more HP, like what AC Schnitzer did, 300HP.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain is the JCW tuning kit worth it?