Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain have a little $$$$...next mods...???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have a little $$$$...next mods...???

So I have a little money saved and its been a while since I've done anything to my jcw.

With about 2k to put in, I'm thinking about 3 options:

1) Jcw aero kit. I know its a bit of pricey plastic... but damn I love the way it looks. I've always wanted this kit... I bought my jcw just a few months before the aero kit was added standard... so i've always had aero kit envy.

2) New wheels and coil overs. Always wanted lighter wheels then my stock R112's and the h&r springs and hr sway bar on standard suspension handle well, but I'd like something more adjustable like coil overs

3) Aquamist HFS-3, DOS intake, and possibly a custom tune (still thinking about that part). currently with my tuned N14 engine, the car is damn quick... but I want just a little more power

Decisions decisions... What do you guys think?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
That's quite a list.
Each thing has its own merits, but they are so different it is hard to advise you.
I'd say asking yourself what is it that you want out of your $$ spent will answer the question for you.

If it were me, I'd go with the handling options of wheels and coilovers and sway. These cars are powerful enough for me.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I'd do some KW coilovers

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
timwu12
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way, is there any reason you'd pick the KW's over the ST's? Say you're getting the Variant 1 and its equivalent where the only adjustability is ride height.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For coils you can do the BC Racing BR series. I ordered mine with custom 10K/10K sprink rates and its was $990 shipped to my door. 30 way adjustable dampning, Independant ride height adjustment and Front camper plates. Not a bad option. What performance mods/tune do you already have? If you already have some engine mods done and a tune you might get more satisfaction out of the handling mods.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
dez
4th Gear
Thanks for the responses and ideas.

In all honesty I really want all of them...now, but I guess the laws of the "wallet" are going make spread it out... or maybe thats the wife... I get confused...

any who...

Currently mods are:

DriveTrain:
Alta Accessport, Alta Dropin Airfilter, Helix FMIC

Suspension/Handling:
HR 19mm Swaybar, H&R Sport Springs, NM Torque arm insert, Yokohama S-Drives

I think I am leaning towards coil overs and maybe new rims, but still mulling over options.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming

Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Tallman
3rd Gear
Get a little red PANIC sticker for your glove box button

Ummm,.....hire a hit man to rid you of the "wife-problem"

Coilovers........KW 2.

Done. Next beer please............

Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
I know what you mean about the aero kit envy I want it so bad! lol but you will have a lot more fun with suspension mods I think just doing the swift springs my car handles so much better on the track after this season I'm going to add koni yellows

Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Suspension!!! You'll be lower, looking hotter, and putting the power you have down to the ground much better than a MINI without it. I would do the rear swaybar, rear lower control arms, and coilovers in one shot. Just get it all out of the way

Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, if you want your car to look good go with the body kit, but if it were me, I would go with lighter wheels and shocks, this will make a dramatic difference in the way the car drives, accelerates and handles. IMO the biggest bang for your buck hands down

Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
p8ntbollr
2nd Gear
personally my catless downpipe was my favorite mod and IMO the best bang for buck. $200 for a riss racing downpipe and it really brought out a lot of torque and gave the exhaust a beautiful tune

Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
timwu12
Banned
Originally Posted by p8ntbollr
personally my catless downpipe was my favorite mod and IMO the best bang for buck. $200 for a riss racing downpipe and it really brought out a lot of torque and gave the exhaust a beautiful tune
did you have problems passing smog with the catless downpipe?

Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
dez
4th Gear
My extra money is a bit delayed, so I've had a little longer to ponder mods...

I like the idea of coilovers, but I don't really track the car, well haven't yet and am not sure if that will be overdoing it, for a daily driver. I mostly drive canyons, luckily blessed with some great twisties in the Santa Monica Mtns. My current stock shocks with, H&R Sport Springs and a 19mm sway bar handle pretty great. So I haven't been able to commit to more suspension upgrades, when what I have feels pretty good... but I don't know... I know it could be better...

Originally Posted by timwu12
did you have problems passing smog with the catless downpipe?
Being in CA passing SMOG is also an issue...

I have been thinking about an exhaust upgrade... Currently I have the fJCW exhaust, with the resonator deleted. I would like to get up to a 3" turbo back exhaust, as that would also allow me to to go to a higher AP MAP. Does Alta still make one? What other options are there?

decisions decisions...

I've all but given up on the aero kit idea... can't lay down the cash for no real performance upgrade... at least not yet.

thanks for the suggestions keep them coming.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM
p8ntbollr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dez
My extra money is a bit delayed, so I've had a little longer to ponder mods...

I like the idea of coilovers, but I don't really track the car, well haven't yet and am not sure if that will be overdoing it, for a daily driver. I mostly drive canyons, luckily blessed with some great twisties in the Santa Monica Mtns. My current stock shocks with, H&R Sport Springs and a 19mm sway bar handle pretty great. So I haven't been able to commit to more suspension upgrades, when what I have feels pretty good... but I don't know... I know it could be better...

Being in CA passing SMOG is also an issue...

I have been thinking about an exhaust upgrade... Currently I have the fJCW exhaust, with the resonator deleted. I would like to get up to a 3" turbo back exhaust, as that would also allow me to to go to a higher AP MAP. Does Alta still make one? What other options are there?

decisions decisions...

I've all but given up on the aero kit idea... can't lay down the cash for no real performance upgrade... at least not yet.

thanks for the suggestions keep them coming.
Yeah luckily I live in FL so I dont have to worry about emissions testing-which explains why I got my second cat cut out as well

Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
FL does have to worry about emissions. You can't legally drive anywhere on the street without at least one catalytic convertor. But luckly the police here in Fl are retarded and don't check.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
p8ntbollr
2nd Gear
^^ well yeah thats what I meant. I'm sure the cops would be more concerned with it if it sounded like those crazy loud rice cannons, but even with a full catless system the sound is relatively tame until you open it up. Plus my car doesn't even compare to all of the jacked up turbo diesel trucks that drive around here with the gigantic smoke stacks that bellow out thick black smoke at every red light.

Last edited by p8ntbollr; 06-04-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 AM
dez
4th Gear
So I decided to not mess with the exhaust for now... and decided to focus on handling.

New KW V2's installed last weekend and my Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2's are going on this weekend.

I'll post pics when complete.