Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Hunting for a boost leak - green gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hunting for a boost leak - green gasket question

On a hunt for all boost leak in my car so I went to Home Depot and rigged together a tester. Found a leak on my bypass valve actuator and boost gauge line. Only thing that's kicking my butt is the SC inlet pipe where the green gasket is. I just replaced this gasket last week but no matter how I shift and wiggle it, I'm still getting a leak. Would this affect boost or vacuum?

Last edited by Evasive; 05-19-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced my green gasket last August. What a PITA! Seriously that thing did not want to go in. Are you sure that your inlet pipe was inserted all the way? I just remember having to really muscle that pipe in to get the green gasket to seat all the way. Perhaps mine was a tighter fit than yours but I've been 15k miles since then leak free. Also since it is pre supercharger then it should not affect boost levels, any boost leak will be from after your supercharger all the way up to the cylinder head.

Also, make sure your belt isn't slipping or if you put a new s.c. pulley on that it is on tight and not slipping on the s.c. shaft. This would cause a lack of boost in the first place which may mask itself as a 'boost leak'.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Thanks bud. I have it on there correctly...even had the car in service mode to make sure. It held pressure but leaked at over 5psi.

I thought it may not have an effect on boost but needed to make sure before I discount it.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Have you found your source of the leak yet?

The green gasket honestly makes no sense to me for being a culprit. You'd be searching for something post supercharger up to the cylinder head. Doubt it'd be a bad intake gasket unless you've removed your intake manifold at some point. I know the rubber boots for the intercooler are subject to boost leaks which is why many people replace them with ALTA etc, brands. Then there's always an intercooler leak.

Soapy water works with holes in tires, perhaps it could work with a boost leak. Spray down your intercooler and boots and rev-up to produce boost. Go back and look for any bubbling. Obviously wouldn't help with anything on the underside of the boots and/or intercooler. If you don't have a vacuum leak then that makes the search a little harder. If you do then you likely would have lean faults in the ECU which you could trace by spraying those same parts with carb cleaner or with bursts of propane gas and monitor 02 sensor voltage on the pre-cat and watch for spikes indicating that you just sprayed the source of a vacuum leak.

Hope I can be of help.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The green gasket is not a pressure fitting, so it won't see boost. That connection only sees vacuum. Unless you are doing a twin charged, you don't have to worry about boost leaking from that location. We have designed a special threaded rocker to secure the intake runner to the SC in our Wildebeest twin-charged car, because that's a pressured fitting (post turbo).

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Thanks all. I was able to figure it out a few days ago and now running without any leak.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
What did you end up finding for the source??

Good to hear its holding charge!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ERIK06MCS
What did you end up finding for the source??

Good to hear its holding charge!
Only two places mentioned in my original post. Bypass valve actuator and boost line. I went ahead and replaced the Intercooler boots anyway with silicone.