Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 AM
FUBSZ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please Help

apparently my R56 is misfiring and i got it checked and the mechanic said its from the ignition coils, one of them is faulty so he suggested that i buy new after market ignition coils and since the aftermarkets are about $600, i thought about buying OEM which are $200 .

I have FMIC, CAI, turboback exhaust and stage 3 tune, oh and platinium spark plugs !
do i have to get the aftermarket ones ? or will the OEM affect the new boost of the car ?

thank you guys for your help

Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The OEM units are difficult to beat; save the extra cash and just replace with OEM ignition coils.

- Erik

Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oem or you will pay in more then one way

Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I would ask a few more questions. Such as how many miles are on the car? I'm assuming the mechanic is an independent shop. How much does he know about Mini's? May only concern is did this misfire start prior to the tune and upgrades or post tune and upgrades? How has the car been maintained in the past? Do you have the service records or have you owned since new etc.

My experience is that those ignition coils are not a high failure item and it would be a shame to replace something that does not need replacing. Did he give you the codes?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
FUBSZ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the car has about 38,000 miles on it and is maintained very well, the misfire happened after tuning the car. so i took out the tune and replaced the spark plugs (thinking the spark plugs were the problem) and i saw its still misfiring so i double checked and saw it was the second and fourth cylinder misfire, so we swapped the coils from 4 to 1 and the misfire moved to the 1 . so apparently the misfire is definitely from the coil.
and also he also said it might be the cam sensor and/or crank sensor.

it is an independent shop, not an expert at mini's but the best in town (small town).

My main question is could i buy the OEM's while still putting out max boost and power from the car without it being affected long term or do u suggest paying that extra money for aftermarkets ?